Sign in to follow this  
BoгИX

Root + Bootloader Unlock

I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone.  Put your big boy pants on.

Unlocking the bootloader WILL wipe your device back to factory default.  Back up any files you want to keep before proceeding.

Unlock your bootloader using the instructions here:

***First enable Developer Options (If you haven't enabled them, go to Settings - About Phone - Status - and tap "Build Number" 7 times.) ***

*** In Developer Options, enable "Allow OEM Unlock" option. ***

Then do this stuff:

https://motorola-glo...k-your-device-a

THIS WILL COMPLETELY WIPE YOUR PHONE AND VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY

Remember to take out ALL of the spaces and/or hard returns in the unlock code provided by Motorola.  The code entered into fastboot to unlock needs to essentially be ONE LONG LINE of text.  Any spaces or returns or hyphens will throw it off.

Once successfully unlocked, download TWRP to your PC:

https://dl.twrp.me/clark/

And downlaod SuperSU to your phone:

https://download.cha...perSU-v2.46.zip

Reboot to Bootloader Mode

Install TWRP using the fastboot command:

fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.8.7.0-clark.img

Once installed, boot to TWRP.  Find your SuperSU.zip.  Flash it.  

You're rooted. 

I'll polish these instructions up later, just wanted to get something out for y'all.  

What do you mean LTE broke some?

This method does not affect radios or anything like that, there is no reason for LTE to be any different before and after the process...

If your LTE isn't working now then it's because of something else you did. Rooting and unlocking the bootloader would never do that.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Day 1 all good. The icon for signal just freaked out for the first hour for some reason, but i live in the cut so who knows what it was. Looking forward to putting Xposed on this thing when i get some free time. Found an XDA forum with lots of info on what works and what is broken for this device( or in general.) You guys have any favorite modules?

I'm trying my best to avoid using credentials in this device. Especially a Gmail account. Is it possible to use some of the DEV tools i downloaded to unlock/root my device to install APK's? Can i even find up to date and trusted APK's of apps found in playstore? I ran FDroid on my S3 but there are some mainstream apps i would like. Especially Titanium backup(never used before.)

EDIT**

Got APK's for duckduckgo from their site and Titanium from APKmirror and sideloaded through ADB install in command line in Windows. made a backup in TWRP and Titanium so i can now start tearing apart some google stuff and see what happens. I think?

Edited by UnrealJet

Any way to remove Gapps from the device entirely? I started knocking them down one by one and now just get errors about gapps failing..

When you say function do you mean as a phone, or all of the "other" functions it has? I ran Slimkat for years with no Gapps. Not opposed to doing it again. The only thing i missed was GPS, and last i checked somebody was working on a workaround for US cell customers for that. But that has been 12 months at least

Recovered my device and am reinstalling Xposed. Any modules you guys particularly like?

Thanks!

Jet

Edited by UnrealJet

Why would you want to remove Gapps? You won't have a fully functioning phone. Meaning it will break some apps completely and no play store. So no easy way to get apps. Why would you want this?

I use slim to none of the apps. I can install some things i want from FDroid and find APK's for others from apkmirror and install through SDK tools ADB. Also just kind of a project. I'm in information security and network engineering and enjoy tinkering with it plus i know my way around linux a little to delving into the command line is on the list after i harden the device and get a solid backup to revert to anytime i break something.

....whatever man.  You can do what you want but...i dont get why...?

Youre making it infinitely harder on yourself by doing that.

Just remove what you dont need, leave the rest alone - otherwise youre just doing something that nobody would ever want to do for any reason other than just to do it.

You wont have a phone that functions if you remove them all. 

I'm being honest with you, it's dumb to remove them all including the store - then getting apks from 3rd party places...  Why would you prefer to do that?  Just use the store that is already provided for you...?  That just seems like a really useless phone that has nothing but a flip phone functionality.

...unless you have some SUPER good reason for doing it this way, I cant imagine why anyone would do this for any reason.

Thanks for the response; However, i simply asked if you knew how. I was getting error messages once i started uninstalling Motorola or Google applications, so I simply wanted to know if somebody had wiped these out as a whole.

I was attempting to install applications without tying a gmail to the device, but i can create a burner account just for Playstore if necessary. Why the agitation? These devices are made to be fondled and obviously somebody wants to do it because i just asked....

I surely had more functionality than a flip phone on my S3 as stated before and the only thing i missed was GPS. 

I appreciate the input as always.

Edited by UnrealJet

No, there's no agitation, dont take it that way.

I had a lady come to me asking a similar question, her phone didnt work right, and she absolutely REFUSED to use a Gmail account - she was in your boat, but the phone isnt going to work without signing in - it's built around signing into one, thats the first thing you do, if you refuse to use one there's no way for the phone to ever actually work right.

She was weird as heck tho, said she never does social media for security reasons - but this isnt social media its a gmail account - and on Androids (like apple) you have to have a email tied to the phone.  Nearly all gapps, which are core apps, essential to the phone even working at all, require that you sign in.

I mean it links the following things:

Contacts

Pics

Videos

texts

settings

apps

everything - when you sign in, you get all your contacts back, all your apps back, without you having to hunt them down - you dont need to transfer contacts anymore, dont need to worry about pics getting lost, it's a huge benefit.

IDK of any xposed mods that do anything like that.  I say this because I just doubt anyone has ever wanted to do something like that.

Any way to remove Gapps from the device entirely? I started knocking them down one by one and now just get errors about gapps failing..

You cannot remove gapps from this device and have it work.  It worked on SlimKat on your S3 because the custom ROM world is different.  It's fairly simple.  With a custom ROM they have to build a standalone functioning OS WITHOUT using Google Apps.  Google Apps are only allowed to be preinstalled on licensed firmware.  The Gapps packages are the workaround, since they're an add-on and not built into the OS directly.  Stock Moto is a Google-licensed firmware and Google Apps are baked in and necessary for basic functionality.  The phone won't work right without them.  That's Google's fault:  they want their services built into the core functionality of the device.  They aren't in the business of an open source firmware out of the goodness of their heart.  They offer it for free, but require people to use their services.  

Freedom isn't free.  It costs a buck o'five.

Ahh, I understand. I sold Cell Phones for a while and that can be the worst. Not even necessarily modules that do that, just what are some of your favorites? This is my first day in this framework so I've been scouring the web for the modules the "know how" group seems to like.

@BornX, I gotcha. I didn't know it would be so embedded until i pwned my phone earlier today ripping them out. Oh well, at least there is a disable button, which may be enough to ease my mind. 

Thanks!

My personal fav xposed mods:

Crappalinks

Gravitybox

XPrivacy Pro

theres more, i just dont remember them.

Adaway is my all time fav root app - removes ads from any/everything - fo' free!

I'm NOT saying theyre not, I like to hide whenever I can, too (think duckduckgo, tor, vpns) but as far as this, it's minimal - very, very minimal.

Day 1 all good. The icon for signal just freaked out for the first hour for some reason, but i live in the cut so who knows what it was. Looking forward to putting Xposed on this thing when i get some free time. Found an XDA forum with lots of info on what works and what is broken for this device( or in general.) You guys have any favorite modules?

Here are the modules I use:

Amplify:  blocks wakelocks

App Settings:  allows per-app DPI.  I changed the default DPI of the phone, but it made Moto Display wonky (yellowish color, off-center icons), then used this to change Moto Display back to the stock DPI so it looks right.

AppOpsXposed:  enables AppOps, which gives you control over which permissions each app can use (you would be interested in this I believe)

BootManager:  select which apps are and are not allowed to run at boot

GravityBox LP:  pure awesomeness. Allows you to modify and customize most things in the OS.

Greenify:  enables experimental features for the Greenify app which is the next-gen task killer (don't use a task killer, Greenify will hibernate apps in the background without killing them and it's much better)

Immersive Mode, Don't Panic!:  Removes the tutorial dialogs every time an app goes full-screen

NoMapTips:  Stops the Maps app from giving you advice when all you want to do is get directions fast

Xposed GEL Settings:  Allows you a whole lot of customization for the Google Experience Launcher.  It's like GravityBox but instead of tuning the ROM it tunes the launcher.

YouTube AdAway:  blocks ads in the YouTube app

YouTube Background Playback:  lets YouTube keep playing when you leave the app

There are literally hundreds of Xposed modules.  Many are device-specific, so be sure you know what you're getting into.  This is just the list of ones I use on all my devices.

Well I thought I got through everything okay, I was able to complete the last step and flash SuperSU and now when I reboot, I am stuck on the motorola (powered by android) boot screen. Not sure when I messed up.