RMarkwald

Nexus 6 - boot.img disables forced encryption

56 posts in this topic

Hey all, I modded the boot.img from the MRA58K.tgz, MRA58N.tgz, MRA58R.tgz, MRA58X.tgz, MMB29K.tgz, and the MMB29S.tgz file to disable forced encryption.  I follow this guide to wipe my device via fastboot:  http://androidforums.com/threads/guide-how-to-flash-a-nexus-factory-image-manually.706533/

The link provided below to the file, called boot-new.img, which is flashable ONLY via fastboot.  If you are already encrypted, you still can flash this, HOWEVER it will NOT unencrypt you until you erase the /userdata partition.  I started from scratch, wiping my device via fastboot and flashing all of the .img files, including this boot-new.img file I created, and all is well...not encrypted.   :)

INSTRUCTIONS:

*NOTE:  You should have knowledge of how to access the bootloader, the Android SDK, and Terminal/Command Prompt.  I won't discuss setting this up here.  See this thread for flashing the .img file:  http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/development/disable-forced-encryption-gain-root-t2946715*  

Here's the basic idea:

1.  Connect your phone to your computer.

2.  Boot phone into bootloader.

3.  Erase boot partition first:  

fastboot erase boot

4.  Flash boot-new.img:  

fastboot flash boot boot-new.img

5.  Reboot phone:

fastboot reboot

DOWNLOAD:

Link to Shamu folder on MediaFire for all downloads:  https://www.mediafire.com/folder/0w52uz9wxjfil/Shamu

TUSCC Mirror:

Edited by RMarkwald

And he's still in the game!

And he's still in the game!

Raised from the dead...or just watching from the sidelines and jumping in every once in a while.  :)

Added latest factory boot.img modified to prevent forced encryption from MRA58N.

Do you mind if I mirror them here on TUSCC?

Nope go right ahead.

Just re-uploaded the 58N boot-new.img file, as there was an issue w/ the RSA fingerprint on the phone not prompting, so adb would report that the device was "Unauthorized".  If you flashed that boot img, no biggie, just go into fastboot:

fastboot erase boot
fastboot flash boot boot-new.img

Reboot phone, now adb should prompt for the RSA key on your phone to Allow the device, and adb on your computer should show as "Device" when running adb devices.

Sorry about that.

Most interesting line in the fstab.shamu file in the boot image is the addition of this line:

/devices/*/xhci-hcd.0.auto/usb*                     auto            auto    defaults                                                        voldmanaged=usb:auto

I connected my OTG cable to my N6, and plugged in a USB drive (formatted NTFS), and it said that the "San Disk format was not supported, please touch here to format" or something to that effect.  I don't recall that OTG was working before prior to this update when I tested it, maybe it was and I'm just spacing it.  Don't have another USB to test right now to format to something like FAT32 to see what it does.

NOTE:  This line did not appear in the 58K image, it has now appeared in 58N.

EDIT:  Found a USB drive, formatted to FAT32, put Word/Excel docs, MP3's on it.  Notification window shows "USB drive for transferring photos and media" and the buttons "Explore" and "Eject".  PowerAmp doesn't see the external drive, but I can open the files.  I can play the MP3's in VLC Player.

EDIT 2:  Appears it may have been this way on Lollipop, as I remember I couldn't get it working at all, so this may be nothing new here of note.

Edited by RMarkwald

I'm really struggling to figure out how to root 58N - seems it's a crazy process...

Is it not just the same way?

No apparently not, you have to do a "systemless" method or you can do a "traditional" method that uses the 58K or 58U /system image (this has me beyond confused) - so i will just stay on 58K until something is less confusing...

No apparently not, you have to do a "systemless" method or you can do a "traditional" method that uses the 58K or 58U /system image (this has me beyond confused) - so i will just stay on 58K until something is less confusing...

I just flashed 58n tonight and wugs doesnt have anything for it. Downloaded directly from google. All fine untill trying to push root files. Phone goes into corrupted message. Wont go away without reflashing the 58n file again. Retried root same issue. Going back to 58k until more is released here.

Main post updated with MRA58R boot.img to prevent auto encryption.

Thanks for posting the modified boot image, it worked great when I tried it.  I couldn't find it anywhere else, so kudos for that.

I also tried to root MRA58R and it was a nightmare.  Nothing works.  I'm also back on K until someone smarter than me/with more time to spend figures something out.

Link for MMB29K (Android 6.0.1) boot-new.img file added for no forced encryption.

Also added MRA58X boot-new.img as well for no forced encryption, as they also finally added that factory image as well today.

Added MMB29S boot-new.img file to OP (only modification is disable forced auto encryption).

Added MMB29Q boot-new.img to the OP for latest February Security Update released today.

Added MMB29V boot-new.img to OP for March Security Update image which was released today.

TUSCC zip of them all as of right now.

Edited by Zenzr

Quick query:

I currently am using the "No Force Encrypt" boot images (and MANY thanks for your efforts).

Can I return to the Forced Encryption (OEM, if you will) boot images without a problem?  Or will I have to again wipe my user cache to reestablish the forced encryption?

Thanks for your thoughts on the subject.

I believe it would allow you to encrypt without wiping data.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

MMB29X and MOB30D boot-new.img files are posted (MOB30D factory images just posted again today).

Edited by RMarkwald