Sign in to follow this  
iR1O

[PSA] iPhone 6/6+ Update Bricks Your Phone

Question

Just putting this here, thought it was worthy of bringing it up so people were aware.

This is why I personally hate apple, and this is a darn good reason you should too.  This is REALLY CRAPPY!

12 answers to this question

Lol. Obviously a bias independent repairman/shop.

Would ruin someone's day getting error 53 unexpectedly thanks to Apple.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

Is it just with home button? What about screen replacement? I fix quite a few screens. Really don't want to screw them over down the road.

Idk. I think that if any hardware is changed with non Apple hardware than the potential is there.

But idk that for a fact.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

As I understood it, if you replace ANY hardware on the device with non-Apple Store repair parts it will happen.  The mentions of the TouchID and home button were the WHY of this new policy, not necessarily the only HOW.

Known about this since May, if the Touch ID on the 6 or 6 Plus has been replaced by anyone other than Apple when you update it Apple will run a verification check on the Touch ID and if it is unable to verify it as the original once that came with the phone it will get error 53.

The only way to fix it is by Apple programming a new Touch ID to the device, this error is purely based on the Touch ID being unable to communicate with the CPU's secure enclave.

It sucks I know, you wouldn't believe how many warranty express replacements I've had to do because the touch ID crapped out, these were perfectly good phones too, sans the Touch ID.

So far the "solution" for independent repair shops is to simply reuse the old touch ID, if its no longer present you are effed, no sugar coating it.

Is it just with home button? What about screen replacement? I fix quite a few screens. Really don't want to screw them over down the road.

All the parts in the iPhone 6/6+ except the Touch ID can be replaced and not trigger an error 53.

You also need to be careful with the fingerprint extender cable that runs along the back of the LCD shield that plugs into the board, if that's ripped or not plugged all the way in it can trigger a error 53 even if the Touch ID is original.

So the data IS or ISNT recoverable by using a real apple part?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It isn't recoverable if you already attempted updating through iTunes.

You don't need the original Touch ID if you're upgrading and resetting through phone itself, the bricking only happens through iTunes.

If your phone is under warranty and has a damaged Touch ID you can fix up the phone and make it look nice on the inside and take it to Apple and they will replace it. I've done a ton of Apple Express Replacements in the past year due to error 53 and I'm extremely good at making these phones look like they were never tampered with.

Edited by SBJ1998

I also want to add even if you get a genuine Touch ID part, it still isn't going to work as it hasn't been paired with that motherboard, only Apple has the ability to do that.

When Apple Store technicians replace screens they replace the entire display assembly including the Touch ID and they pair the new Touch ID with the board.

Recently a buddy of mine took a gamble and bought an unlocked iPhone 6 for $70 that suffered from error 53. Turns out the Touch ID was perfectly fine and the cable that runs between it and the motherboard and gone bad, after replacing this cable it now works fine.

A lot of times the Touch ID extender cable can cause a false positive for error 53, so if you have the ORIGINAL Touch ID and it appears to be intact and you're still getting error 53, I'd check this cable.

Keep in mind though for this fix to work you need to have the original Touch ID in functional order.