soulweeper

2013 Moto X wifi authentication problem, all of a sudden

2013 Moto X....just tonight, wasn't connected to my home network, and on top of everything else, this is sitting right next to the router. My wife has the exact same phone, and she's connected. Up until tonight, I have been too. It's a dual band router, and I can connect to the 5G band, but not the 2.4 band, like I always use.

Tried restarting the phone, told it to forget the network, then tried again. Rebooted the router. Nothing works. Sure, I can use the 5G band, but I want it to work like it has been.

It keeps saying authentication problem. It will say authenticating....then go to authentication problem.

Very bizarre, and it's pissing me off.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I checked if my router had a firmware upgrade available, and it did, so I updated. No change.

I tried turning security off, and then it connects, no problem. So what is it about me having the security on, all of a sudden, when it's been working fine, and my wife has the same phone, with no problem?

Here's another weird thing. After turning off security, I had two J&L602 networks showing, both saying connected, and one saying connected via Wi-Fi assistant, but the second one has the little lock symbol next to the wifi icon. It will periodically disappear too, and then show again.

Same problem here for the last year. All I can say, is it's frustrating, and I suggest you give up trying to fix it. 5ghz was all I had for last few months, and now that has stopped working as well. I have suspicion that the wifi hardware is defective and wears down. I know that doesn't make sense, but that's what it seems like according to the symptoms. I've tried everything except rooting and 3rd party rom. If it still doesnt work after that, than I'd assume that confirms its a hardware problem.

But Motorola will not help us, since phone is out of warranty. Very frustrating that devices aren't made to last and supported for longer than a year. The companies just don't care about anything over a year old enough to fix it.

Sorry for the rant but if you have the same wifi bug as I have, you know how frustrating it is. 

Same problem here for the last year. All I can say, is it's frustrating, and I suggest you give up trying to fix it. 5ghz was all I had for last few months, and now that has stopped working as well. I have suspicion that the wifi hardware is defective and wears down. I know that doesn't make sense, but that's what it seems like according to the symptoms. I've tried everything except rooting and 3rd party rom. If it still doesnt work after that, than I'd assume that confirms its a hardware problem.

But Motorola will not help us, since phone is out of warranty. Very frustrating that devices aren't made to last and supported for longer than a year. The companies just don't care about anything over a year old enough to fix it.

Sorry for the rant but if you have the same wifi bug as I have, you know how frustrating it is.

Have you performed a factory reset? Sometimes this can clear up bugs that develop over time. Edited by BoгИX

Not to bring back the dead, but I read it is a common problem with Lollipop OS where oit will not connect to WPA security configurations.  It seems it's not a Motorola problem.