carguy83

Google Project Fi

"You literally pay by the hour for active service." You mean the $20/month for unlimited everything? Are you saying you can "pause" your service and get that part lowered? If so that seems awfully petty for what seems like a great deal. Like T-Mobile users turning off Binge On because it throttles the data. It's like, these are the changes we want to see in cellular service. I apologize if I'm off base but it seems like "This is why we can't have nice things." I wonder if, if this catches on, Project Fi will be able to continue for long, or at least at the current price. I'm hoping it will still be an option for me in June. I would really like to get on. Saving that kind of money would really help me out.

As for the roaming, my own Google-fu led me to discover that T-Mobile and Sprint both have roaming agreements with... T-Mobile with AT&T and Sprint with Verizon and US Cellular... but it's not nationally. It's by region. That's why nobody can say for sure what it will be everywhere, because it's not. And there are some areas where both T-Mobile and Sprint have roaming agreements with none of them And areas where the roaming speeds are throttled, so it's not really good enough to use or to consider useful.

So, it is not true that Project Fi DOES roam on AT&T, Verizon, and US Cellular. There is no rule that states that it does everywhere. Anywhere. What IS true is that Project Fi CAN roam on the other big carriers, IF there is a roaming agreement with the base carrier (Sprint or T-Mobile) IN THAT AREA.

For my own part, I found a co-worker who uses Sprint, and he gets great signal all over the property. So that's what you should do, if you're considering Fi. Just chat up your co-workers on their phone. People with smartphones generally like talking about them. If they don't, it's probably because they're new and overwhelmed by it. So what you do for them is, you offer to show them something. Like — and I'm not the most social person, at all! — "Oh, are you still learning?" "Can I show you a neat app?" Google Opinion Rewards is a great ice breaker. There are others. Our Groceries is great if they have a partner and they both shop. Not a lot of people know about that. Are they big into their toddler/grade school kids' lives? Like the kind of people who put their kids' drawings on the fridge? Markers will let them take a picture of the kid, or the family dog, and then let the kid draw on it. Then you get it printed at Walmart, and the kid just loves it. Ergo, so does the parent. All free apps. You find something they like. You help them love their phone. Then someone like that, you ask them who their carrier is and what they think of it. A lot of people use Sprint and T-Mobile instead of Verizon and AT&T for the purpose of saving money. So you ask them if they feel the lesser network has negatively impacted them in any way. Find a few who will enthusiastically say that it has not, and you got your assurances.

Since the Jan updates the FI experience is much improved.

Going to Raleigh my 6p is the way to go as USCC has woeful coverage in the state capital.

I am starting to see no drop in coverage when compared to my S5 on USCC, I sometimes carry both, LTE is faster and better on Fi when I do have coverage.

My bill has been $25-27 since June last year as I am not a heavy data user and use wifi most times. Where it does shine is international calling, 1c to the UK and the ease of use in the UK and the rest of the world.

It is not for folks who use a lot of data.

If I use the number I have with US Cellular for project FI, will USC suspend my service? Should I just get a new number until I decide if the switch if right for me?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If I use the number I have with US Cellular for project FI, will USC suspend my service? Should I just get a new number until I decide if the switch if right for me?

You can't. You can only use your current number after you port out your number. To do that you have to cancel your USCC service.

Just caught my 6P with Fi roaming onto US Cellular. Sprint apparently has a roaming agreement with them in Eastern NC. I figured as much since Sprint's roaming coverage pretty much exactly matches USCC's coverage map. Nice to get real world confirmation, though.

Data speeds are similar to what I achieved when I was a USCC customer roaming on Verizon/Sprint: too slow to really do anything other than basic web browsing. To me, data speeds mean nothing when roaming...all I need is calling and texting, both of which continued to work quite well. So far, I'm satisfied. I've yet to be without voice coverage.

Do note that Fi support is clueless when it comes to domestic roaming. They follow their own coverage map to the T and will not affirm or deny if you'll have domestic roaming in an area. One rep simply said, "I know the phone MAY roam if the default carriers (Sprint/T-Mobile) are unavailable. We don't have any coverage information we can release where roaming is concerned."

06dc6d45dc22ff9b1070ea1c510bc98f.jpg

12 minutes ago, carguy83 said:

I found this morning, not sure if it is a good or bad thing.

http://www.androidauthority.com/us-cellular-joins-project-fi-697404/

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

This is already being discussed here:  

http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/topic/9043-us-cellular-now-project-fi-provider/

Edited by BoгИX

How would one determine if going to the fi project makes sense? Seems like cost is a big factor but what about coverage? I looked at the Google fi coverage for my area and it looks identical to the uscc coverage. This is in about a 30-50 mile radius from my house.

If I go any farther my ankle bracelet goes off and my probie goes nuts. 😊 JK

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

If I wasn't married I'd quit fishing :)

34 minutes ago, ppsi said:

How would one determine if going to the fi project makes sense? Seems like cost is a big factor but what about coverage? I looked at the Google fi coverage for my area and it looks identical to the uscc coverage. This is in about a 30-50 mile radius from my house.

If I go any farther my ankle bracelet goes off and my probie goes nuts. 😊 JK

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

If I wasn't married I'd quit fishing :)

That's exactly it. Fi is for those who use little data (less than 1-2GB). Anything more than that and it'd probably make more sense to look elsewhere. Like Total Wireless (yes a little part of me died for saying that) but its probably the cheapest plan to get the most data. 

The no roaming anywhere in the country is a major factor for me.

No more 400MB limit. No contract, no paying for data you don't use/need, global coverage, idk... at home uscc is necessary to have working service but having no stupid roaming limit was my tipping point.

But until the July update and the map shows coverage in my state for uscc I'm staying put.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

The no roaming anywhere in the country is a major factor for me.

No more 400MB limit. No contract, no paying for data you don't use/need, global coverage, idk... at home uscc is necessary to have working service but having no stupid roaming limit was my tipping point.

But until the July update and the map shows coverage in my state for uscc I'm staying put.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

True. 'roaming' is no more. You just get 3g. Even international. You can call/text from any device too. I can call people using desktop Hangouts. From anything I'm signed into.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I don't care too much about the roaming. I am more interested in getting better coverage so I can use the internet at more locations. I was hoping maybe fi would have offered that. As it is I can stop at two or three locations along a 6 mile stretch of the main highway through town and not be able to use the internet. I thought I was having phone issues but it turns out the coverage is garbage. 

I'm in central Iowa, still no uscc for me for some stupid reason.

Was just in KCMO and was on TMO for the most part and Sprint for some, speeds though... with full bars LTE, it was really, REALLY bad. I would have preferred roaming over what TMO had but sprints was usable.

However, for being KCMO I feel the speeds were pathetic - in downtown - it was just not nearly as good as I'd assume considering I was at the Sprint Center.

T-Mobile:

3fc401f881b2b82d66a34511c779f993.jpg

Sprint:

f827f8d3b3b1a9565e8fea7d7906f6f7.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I'm in eastern Iowa (Dubuque Area) but live in illinois) and have uscc on project fi..... at home Sprint has a better signal but when I go out to the rural areas in Illinois its USCC. Which is why I was with Us cellular to begin with but now I have better service than ever and pay about $30/mnth less.

10 hours ago, Samus said:

I'm in eastern Iowa (Dubuque Area) but live in illinois) and have uscc on project fi..... at home Sprint has a better signal but when I go out to the rural areas in Illinois its USCC. Which is why I was with Us cellular to begin with but now I have better service than ever and pay about $30/mnth less.

This is exactly what I would have done if my family had not ported out. 

Now I don't really need to anymore, but this is exactly why I love Google. I hope they get another major carrier on board and really push Verizon for customers. I understand people who have nexus phones are slim to none, but it would really make Verizon think about their pricing if they had someone who could match their coverage for like 1/3 the price.

So I'm considering helping my father in law switch to FI since he has USCC right now, and through all my research, it should be a better value for him since he wants to get a new phone, and is constantly looking to pay as little as possible for everything (...haha) but needs good coverage when he's driving for work. 

He barely uses 1 GB a month: so, I was thinking FI + Nexus 5x ($30+$8.29) would put him well below even the cheapest option with USCC and getting a new phone that's an upgrade from his LG G3 right now.  I might even be able to talk him into the 6p for the extra $8 a month. 

So, TL;DR...has anyone switched from USCC to FI and noticed any discernible quality drop in coverage or speed where they normally got USCC coverage in the past?

I'm getting disgruntled! The coverage map shows full 4G coverage in my area which is pretty much the USC area, but when I try to sign up it says it's not available in my area! Maybe their showing future coverage, but it's aggravating!

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

I'm getting disgruntled! The coverage map shows full 4G coverage in my area which is pretty much the USC area, but when I try to sign up it says it's not available in my area! Maybe their showing future coverage, but it's aggravating!

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

This may not be entirely accurate but I believe they say it's only "available" in T-Mobile and Sprint core markets. I got my Sim by entering a Des Moines zip and then at checkout adding my address for shipping. Number is of course Des Moines.

You have to have zip in a T Mobile service area for activation. At least that's what I read in the FAQ's a while back.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

Have any of you that have switched from USCC to Fi had any issues porting number out to Fi,and how long for the transfer take?

I switched to Fi and have done all the pre-register stuff for numbers, pin, etc. Phones should arrive today. Hoping transfer time doesn’t take long.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

The transfer is instant, but for calls and texts to 100% guaranteed come through on the new service is "24 hours" - but mine worked pretty much immediately. 

Well, finally got the phones in. Two 6p's and a 5x. Got the service hooked up with fi on 2 lines and all seems to be working pretty well so far. One of the fi sim cards was corrupt, so I have to wait on another to be shipped. I doubt it's this easy but I can't just put my USCC sim in the other 6p and use it until I get the fi sim in can I?