carguy83

Google Project Fi

Well, finally got the phones in. Two 6p's and a 5x. Got the service hooked up with fi on 2 lines and all seems to be working pretty well so far. One of the fi sim cards was corrupt, so I have to wait on another to be shipped. I doubt it's this easy but I can't just put my USCC sim in the other 6p and use it until I get the fi sim in can I?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

You can. You'll have to call USCC and get them to activate it (give them IMEI, SIM #) like you would any other device.

If you already cancelled your plan to switch your numbers over though you may have a problem, since you wouldn't have USCC service to be on.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

You can. You'll have to call USCC and get them to activate it (give them IMEI, SIM #) like you would any other device.

If you already cancelled your plan to switch your numbers over though you may have a problem, since you wouldn't have USCC service to be on.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Actually I haven't canceled my plan all the way as this line is still active on USCC until new sim comes in. I may give them a call and do it so the wife will quit complaining about not using new phone LMAO. Do they charge for switching?

When I log onto USCC, it says "Contract End Date: 10/23/16".  So does that mean that I have to wait until 10/24 to port to FI, or can I do it on the 23rd?  I have overthought it so much, I have confused myself.

I was looking at the Fi coverage map, and it still shows 3g in areas that I know are in LTE uscc areas. Specifically between Ottumwa and Fairfield IA. I don't live there but go there often. I'm hoping it is just pending a map update.

Is Fi working pretty good for people in central IA? My contract is up in a month and I am planning to make the move.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I was looking at the Fi coverage map, and it still shows 3g in areas that I know are in LTE uscc areas. Specifically between Ottumwa and Fairfield IA. I don't live there but go there often. I'm hoping it is just pending a map update.

Is Fi working pretty good for people in central IA? My contract is up in a month and I am planning to make the move.

Had a fi rep make adjustments for me last night. He stated the map does not show USCC coverage yet. My USCC 5x and fi 5x have identical coverage everywhere I go (northeast iowa)

FiSwitch.

That's what I use. It's great. It has an optional notification that tells you who you're on and the band and everything

It can force switch anytime, too.

I can also confirm that my area (NC) showed a little hole for 3g for fi when I am blanketed with USCC 4g. Yet in the area Fi map says 3g I have the same 4g I've always had when I was with USCC.

Second day on Fi with my pixel. I'm loving it. I'm always connected to USCC LTE anywhere I've gone so far. I tried a wifi call yesterday with the data off. Couldn't tell the difference. I'm in central Maine, 15 miles north of Bangor.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Second day on Fi with my pixel. I'm loving it. I'm always connected to USCC LTE anywhere I've gone so far. I tried a wifi call yesterday with the data off. Couldn't tell the difference. I'm in central Maine, 15 miles north of Bangor.

Ventured out rural yet? Wondering how service will be away from the city life.. I have pretty poor uscc reception at home... -115 evdo(i'm 2.5 hours north from you)

Haven't had a chance to test it much. At home I get USCC just like before and at work in Bangor, the same USCC coverage as before. It's like I'm still with USCC. I will update as I travel around the state more.

Saw this tonight. Found it interesting. http://www.nashvillechatterclass.com/dont-need-nexus-6p-nexus-5x-pixel-phone-use-google-project-fi-heres-trick/17424/

Basically details getting a data only sim for secondary devices, but share the same phone connection.

The data only sims are T-Mobile only.

Other devices

Data-only SIMs may work with devices that aren’t on our list. Devices need to be unlocked and work with T-Mobile (GSM radio). You can order a data-only SIM and test it out. However, we may not be able to help activate or troubleshoot these other devices.

On BETA 7.1.1 for the last two days, I now can not receive calls, wifi or cellular.  Been on the phone with tech four times with no remedy.   May be a coincidence but I wouldn't recommend BETA on fi as of yet.

The Developer Previews and Betas are usually pretty buggy, especially for phones, and even more especially if it's your main phone.  I always recommend anyone with a Nexus phone to wait until the official release hits unless they don't need things like calls or texts (i.e. use a VOIP / internet messaging setup)

1 minute ago, BoгИX said:

The Developer Previews and Betas are usually pretty buggy, especially for phones, and even more especially if it's your main phone.  I always recommend anyone with a Nexus phone to wait until the official release hits unless they don't need things like calls or texts (i.e. use a VOIP / internet messaging setup)

Agreed, I couldn't resist though haha.  It's not my main line so it really isn't an inconvenience.  Kindof nice not receiving call really.

I also switched to fi last week. It took a few weeks with tech support because they had something messed up in their system and my uscc number was a business account. I had to switch it from work to a personal one. Once everything got straighten out it was painless. Amazing having a phone that works great when leaving uscc coverage areas. And having my bill cut in half.

I also switched to fi last week. It took a few weeks with tech support because they had something messed up in their system and my uscc number was a business account. I had to switch it from work to a personal one. Once everything got straighten out it was painless. Amazing having a phone that works great when leaving uscc coverage areas. And having my bill cut in half.

I think I'm gonna try it for a week or so and see how it works at my home first. I am a bit weary of data usage tho.