jtbowers

Roaming Indicator Off

Well new phone same issue. The status bar on lock screen and drop down notification drawer states roaming Indicator off just like the nexus 6 did until the eri.XML fix.

Anyone know if it would be easy to adapt the old one to work.

I can't see how it could be that different. I just don't know enough to do it. The other checks to make sure that it's a shamu device whereas this is angler.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Admin Edit:

Here is the eri.zip that fixes this issue for the Nexus 6P

Flash it in a custom recovery and all done!

http://upload.teamuscellular.com/47z

If all you need to do is just remove the check that'd be super simple.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Download the file, open it in a text editor I believe and remove the line that checks for what device it is. I can do it later today as I can't exactly be useful on this damn iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Download the eri file. Navigate to eri.zip>meta-inf>com>google>android...Open the updater-script file with notepad. Remove the line that references the Nexus 6.

I did that - but it says the script isnt there...?

It's there - i edited it myself - but it keeps failing.

Anyone care to elaborate exactly what to remove or upload a fixed eri so i can see what i was doing wrong?

If anyone sees this I could use some help. I know nothing of what you guys talk about here. I am currently having the problem discussed here.  I have downloaded a zip app and text editor app.  I finally got that file open but didn't see the line of code that is talked about. 

Thanks for any help that is provided 

1 hour ago, iRub1Out said:

Just download the eri.zip we have here

edit, heres the link: http://upload.teamuscellular.com/9hz

Flash that in TWRP recovery.

So, I need a little explaination on the flash and the  TWRP recovery parts. When I download it is just goes into my downloads folder. Like I said, I'm clueless... 

I apologize, I googled flashing and I'm scared haha. This sounds like more work than you guys make it sound.  Is it possible for someone at the store to figure this out?  Else,  I've got some homework to do because I'm pretty sure this thing is effecting my service... 

No. Nobody can fix it - the store won't do anything and neither will Google or uscc.

To flash this you have to do a lot more than you probably realize. There's threads on how to do this - but before you jump in you have a LOT to learn about what this does and how to do it.

Read our threads here and some on XDA about unlocking the bootloader and rooting. There's a tool called Wugs, it will help you a lot, but you NEED to understand what this tool does so you can understand how to UNdo what it does should you ever need to.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you have never unlock the bootloader or rooted a phone there is a pretty substantial amount of learning involved, we will help you along the way - but it's not easy for a beginner until you read everything you can beforehand.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Great.. It's hard to believe I'm  reading posts about this problem from two years ago and its still happening.  I have a friend who has some knowledge about this stuff,  I will check with him and hopefully he can help otherwise it'll be a long road.. 

Thank you for your help, I'm sure I'll be around for a while on here now.  Either way, since I just got US cellular I find this site interesting and wax planning on looking around, guess I have no choice now... 

Edited by Dennyberry3

Is there a reason for always showing Roaming Indicator? Doesn't seem to affect service. I've seen it on both Nexus & non-nexus devices. Def on any rooted device. 

it says that even on non-rooted devices, I have no idea WHY it sometimes says U.S. Cellular, and most times it doesnt, but it doesnt affect service that ive seen.

Just really annoying

It's definitely effecting my service.  Texts and maybe calls only seem to come with my data turned on, which is annoying.  I just had the "us cellular"  show up and my service was worse.  I really hope the coverage isn't this poor.

My friend is going to help me I think and hopefully it gets better... 

34 minutes ago, Dennyberry3 said:

It's definitely effecting my service.  Texts and maybe calls only seem to come with my data turned on, which is annoying.  I just had the "us cellular"  show up and my service was worse.  I really hope the coverage isn't this poor.

My friend is going to help me I think and hopefully it gets better... 

The "Roaming Indicator Off" bug is purely cosmetic.  There is no way this affects your service in any way.  It's not actually roaming, the only thing the eri.xml fixes is the text (from displaying "Roaming Indicator Off" to "US Cellular").  Therefore it's likely the issue is the service and network in your particular area.

Some "text messages" require data.  Picture messages, group messages, and usually text messages over 160 characters require a data connection to come through.  These are MMS messages, whereas standard texts (one sender and one receiver, less than 160 characters) are SMS messages.  MMS requires data, SMS does not.

I understand the information in the second paragraph, these messages were not those things. I they were short messages and when I turned my data on they all sent. 

Related though, I do feel like my service has been crap and I've been trying to figure that out with a radio switcher app. I feel like I've maybe played too much and messed something up. 

10 minutes ago, Dennyberry3 said:

I understand the information in the second paragraph, these messages were not those things. I they were short messages and when I turned my data on they all sent. 

Related though, I do feel like my service has been crap and I've been trying to figure that out with a radio switcher app. I feel like I've maybe played too much and messed something up. 

Are you using Hangouts as your default messaging app?  Just curious, I would like to get to the bottom of this too!  You definitely should not need data on to send SMS messages!

I am not. I default messenger app. I did get some texts today when my days was off. I I'm really not sure if it comes and goes.