jtbowers

Roaming Indicator Off

31 minutes ago, Dennyberry3 said:

I am not. I default messenger app. I did get some texts today when my days was off. I I'm really not sure if it comes and goes. 

How is the service in your area?  Steady? Spotty?  LTE coverage (native LTE or LTE Roaming)?  You are on the home network, correct?  What is your PRL version?  Primarily 4G, 3G, or 1X?  

Calls and texts not coming through are a network issue, very rarely are they caused by the device itself.  Some custom ROMs have given me issues before, but if you're stock and not rooted then you simply don't have the privileges in the OS to modify any files that would affect the device's radio.

I am under the impression that its mostly steady. I had automatic selected under system select (instead of home) but I have been playing with that. I do not think its roaming LTE. I see mostly 4G and 3G. My PRL version is 15141 (I actually have been searching for this and just found it!) How do I know if thats up to date?

There are multiple APN entries for every carrier. In fact, your device as well as any Android device has the APNs for virtually every carrier the world stored in its apns-conf.xml file.

Honestly it sounds like it's the USCC service in your area.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

So it really happened again.  Multiple texts not sending till my data was turned on.. What coiuld this be? 

Also,  flashing that eri file,  does the phone need to be rooted? 

So it really happened again.  Multiple texts not sending till my data was turned on.. What coiuld this be? 

50 minutes ago, Dennyberry3 said:

The phone does not have to be rooted, however you must install TWRP.  This involves first unlocking the bootloader (which will erase all of your data, so back up important files first) and flashing it through fastboot commands.  Then you can flash the eri.xml in TWRP.  You don't *have* to be rooted, because TWRP has root access itself.  Typically people do root when they install TWRP though, it's pretty handy.  

Again, the eri.xml file is a purely cosmetic fix.  ALL it does is make the text say "US Cellular" instead of "Roaming Indicator Off".  It does absolutely nothing else, nothing related to the modem or the network or SMS or MMS or calls or data.  I wish you well in your endeavors!

Good call!

But the bootloader has to be unlocked, factory resetting the phone, like bornx said - might as well root since you're 99% of the way there...

I can confirm that the eri fix does nothing at all to help signal or data.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

So how is this phone for signal strength? I guess a better question is how is the radio???

My contract is up so I'm looking for a new phone.

Thanks

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

If I wasn't married I'd quit fishing :)

I'd say it's equal to any of the ones you never hear anything bad about.

I've never had any kind of issue or problem. Nothing like with the S3 or notes that had obvious issues these have always been solid for me

I can't specifically say whether it's the phone or not. I've been on Sprint my whole cellphone life and I wasn't always impressed with the signal and data speeds. US cellular has been worse in my experience. When I'm not in a great spot for signal it becomes almost as much a battery drain as  my screen is. 

However, the phone has been great. Even with the poor signal I'm getting 21hr battery life with 4.5hr screen time. If definitely recommend it, however, I've seen many people talking about waiting for the new phone in the fall. I guess it depends on your budget and if you can wait. I've seen the 6p going for $400 right now, prob have to pay a bit more for the brand new one in the fall

Where is the eri zip that works with the 6P. I've hunted several threads and can't find it.

15 minutes ago, iRub1Out said:

Where is the eri zip that works with the 6P. I've hunted several threads and can't find it.

This one maybe?

http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/topic/8209-updated-uscc_erizip-file/

You may have to edit the updater script to get it to flash in TWRP on the 6P, says something about this one checking for "shamu" device name.  Shouldn't be hard.

I had one that was already fixed but for whatever reason I am at a total loss. I feel like I should know exactly where it is but it's nowhere that I look

That's the one I tried.