Birddog

Marshmellow

I bought a Nexus 6 from Amazon and have not yet rooted it. Do I have to wait for Verizon to update my phone if it is not rooted or does Google send it out directly?

Google sends it out.

You can just flash the image yourself if you don't want to wait but the OTA has already hit. So it should update pretty quick.

This has been asked before:

http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/index.php?/topic/8700-Android-6.0-is-live

And

http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/index.php?/topic/8668-MRA58K-Released-For-Nexus-6!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I bought a Nexus 6 from Amazon and have not yet rooted it. Do I have to wait for Verizon to update my phone if it is not rooted or does Google send it out directly?

You will get the update from Google. You have a nexus

Sorry. I should have searched before asking. Just got lazy, I guess. Also, I would have to be rooted to fkasg the img file. Haven't gotten around to doing that yet, but it looks pretty easy.

Root is not required to flash the images. Only an unlocked bootloader which can easily be done through a toolkit or by command line. The only thing to remember is that doing the unlock will factory reset your device

Sent from my Nexus 6

My phone was supposedly unlocked when I bought it from Amazon. When Verizon put their sim card in it, did that lock it?

No.

It's carrier unlocked. The bootloader is definitely locked. It always is.

You have to unlock the BL

When Google gets around to updating my phone to Marshmallow, will it do a factory reset?

If you take the OTA, no. If you flash an Img its always a good idea to reset anyway.