Sarcus

Motorola apps

Forgive me if this is covered somewhere but I'm getting ready to go from moto x second edition to the nexus 6. I was just told that even though it is a Motorola phone the nexus 6 will not make use of the moto apps that are on the x. I. E. The wave to turn on screen, hands free driving, shake flash light etc. Is this true? Not a deal breaker but gee that would suck.

Edited by Sarcus

No. Nexus phones are made by Google. It's not Motorola other than it being manufactured by the company.

And there's no app on the X that gives one those features. Google does have similar feature to that of Active Display.

Ok, Sry, I'm talking about the last years 6 made by Motorola. So it has active display, great! What about shake for flashlight or camera? Is there anything about the phone that if you could buy it again you wouldn't?

I'm actually really thinking about getting the "old" Nexus 6 for awhile now since the prices got cheap (relative to current devices).  I just can't seem to get over the size increase from my first gen Moto X though.

Ok, Sry, I'm talking about the last years 6 made by Motorola. So it has active display, great! What about shake for flashlight or camera? Is there anything about the phone that if you could buy it again you wouldn't?

Honestly not really. I knew the size wasn't that big of deal to me, the only thing that I'm a 'little' disappointed is the sporadic battery. Can be really good, can be really bad some days. I average 4 hours SOT and can 80% of the time make it through a day no problem.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It's not "active display" like Motorola's Active Display, it's the stock Lollipop/Marshmallow "Attentive Display" or something.  The functionality is much different.  

The Nexus 6P was supposed to have a shake to activate camera, but they removed it at the last minute to replace it with something like double tap power button.  

It sucks, but the only place you're gonna get Moto apps is on Moto branded devices like the X.  The features are baked way into the system, and you can't simply pull them out and put them into another device.

This thread seems a bit confusing.....

There is last year's Nexus 6 that was made by Motorola and has the active display:

https://store.google.com/product/nexus_6

Then there is this years Nexus 6P that was made by Huawei with its own feature set:

https://store.google.com/product/nexus_6p

It does not have Active Display. It has a variant of it that's nowhere near as good.

It doesn't have any of these aside from the variant of Active Display. Aka Ambient Display.

I'm actually really thinking about getting the "old" Nexus 6 for awhile now since the prices got cheap (relative to current devices).  I just can't seem to get over the size increase from my first gen Moto X though.

I went from the Note 2, to the X, to the N6. It was an easy transition. I think you'll be okay.

Bottom line me please.... If I wave my hand over the phone will the lockscreen appear? And just for your info... I've gone through 3 local stores before I found a nexus 6... Seems like they are not restocking

No. Only if a notification shows up or you pick up the phone.

I don't think simply putting your hand over it would work.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bottom line me please.... If I wave my hand over the phone will the lockscreen appear? And just for your info... I've gone through 3 local stores before I found a nexus 6... Seems like they are not restocking

No it won't. That requires the sensors that are built into a phone like the Moto X 2014, the Nexus 6 will not do it. Honestly it seems more gimmicky to me than anything. I don't even really miss my notification light from my S4. The Nexus 6 is almost perfect. After rooting it I am not really missing anything. 

I like the infrared sensors on my X 2014. I wave my hand over my phone on my desk to see the time and instantly see any notifications. It's actually pretty useful, not just a gimmick.

I agree, not gimmicky. I use the wave feature all the time on the 2nd Gen X.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

Well some of the "selling" points for me getting the 6 aren't there now. If it doesn't have the moto app or at least the wave feature then my next question would be... Bang for your buck, what do you guys think the best phone us cellular has got right now? Processor speed, larger screen size, memory capacity.... I know this thread has wandered and I apologize but if I'm going in debt for a new phone I'd like the smart people (you guys) to give me your input. You've kicked the tires... What say you?

The absolute best phone they offer on contract? Note 5 or Nexus 6 IMO. Note 5 if you like Touchwiz type features, and Nexus 6 if you want something on contract that's stock Android. Though getting a Nexus 6 on contract is kind of silly because you can get it off contract for FAR cheaper elsewhere like the Play Store or Amazon. All Nexus 6 models are the same in the US and will work on USCC.

But best phone hands down on the market that supports USCC? Nexus 6p. 

They never were stocked like you see Samsung phones, et al. I had to make sure my local store pre-ordered one for me before they came out and when I switched to Verizon, only one store on the region had one in stock.

Face it, people want what they see the most marketing for and the N6 had none, unlike Sammy phones and the iCrap which are always flooded to the public

You can tap the phone to get this feature. Not as fancy as waving, but provides the same results. Or just saying OK Google, to get whatever it is you want via voice.

Buy a Nexus on Amazon or eBay. eBay has some for less than $300 new. Amazon less than $350.

You won't be disappointed. It may be a quick but uneasy transition from the couple of Motorola features, but you will adapt and use alternatives.

Well some of the "selling" points for me getting the 6 aren't there now. If it doesn't have the moto app or at least the wave feature then my next question would be... Bang for your buck, what do you guys think the best phone us cellular has got right now? Processor speed, larger screen size, memory capacity.... I know this thread has wandered and I apologize but if I'm going in debt for a new phone I'd like the smart people (you guys) to give me your input. You've kicked the tires... What say you?

N6 is definitely the best. Because you get pure Android and all the updates directly from Google. And there were never "selling points" for the Nexus 6. It's a Google phone. If you don't want pure Android, then it's not for you. For the overall cost of a Nexus hardware and firmware, it beats everything else I think. Top of the line. And affordable, all because you don't pay double or more the cost just for a stupid brand name and gimmicks of a companies OS.