JohnB

Downgrading 5.1 > 4.4.2 (Lollipop to KitKat)

After messing with LP for a few months, I felt a downgrade to KitKat was in order.  Honestly, I always thought if felt like a smoother / quicker OS anyways.  I found the instructions on XDA and it seemed like a fairly "safe" method (given what I know about phone hacking)

Prerequisites:

• Unlocked bootloader ( I currently have TWRP recovery installed)
  • Copy of the official Moto X 4.4.2 SBF - USC_XT1055_4.4.2-KXA20.16-1.27_CFC_1FF.xml.zip
  • copy of the "mfastboot.exe" command
  • BACKUP - BACKUP - BACKUP!!!  I can't stress this enough!! You will wipe all data, photos, downloads, etc. when doing this!!

Instructions:

• Extract from the ZIP - boot.img / system.img / recovery.img (optional - I retained TWRP as my recovery)
  • Boot the phone to the bootloader, connect to PC via USB, and run the following commands:
mfastboot erase cache mfastboot erase userdata mfastboot flash boot boot.imgmfastboot flash recovery recovery.img (I skipped this as I retained TWRP)mfastboot flash system system.imgmfastboot erase userdatamfastboot reboot
  • NOTE:  The user on XDA stressed that you need to run the final "erase userdata" as listed to avoid a bootloop.  
  • Once finished, the phone reboots, and you are back to KitKat

ONE WARNING!!! - DO NOT TAKE AN OFFICIAL UPDATE ONCE DOWNGRADED!!  There is a strong possibility of a hard brick.  If you would like to return to Lollipop, it would need to be done manually via fastboot commands.

Not sure why nobody posted this long ago. There's no reason you would brick downgrading or upgrading because of doing this.

As long as one doesn't try RSD-lite or manually flashing the bootloader (motoboot.img) or the partition table (gpt.bin) everything is good.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk