Coolasice

Verizon lte roaming agreement with uscellular

I know I mentioned this in the other roaming thread but I wanted to show proof that my Verizon phone was indeed roaming on a us cellular service tower for Verizon LTE signal.

85143c650cd1d8777a17bf9c630110a6.jpg

5011fba7be28339bdad151309fd85a12.jpg

eb77220f5a1125719e549db59ac39534.jpg

febedeb03496d038526c47dc85193c41.jpg

2b0bba115ef6b3624e82ee2ea4416679.jpg

Is Verizon now installing non 1x/2g/3g towers?

If I set to LTE only it showed Verizon only, if I set to CDMA only I get us cellular for 1x data

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Edited by Coolasice

The screenshots you provided show your phone is just roaming on U.S. Cellular's 2G(CDMA) network, your phone is still connected to Verizon for the LTE signal. As further proof of this your phone shows it is connected to band 13 which is exclusively used by Verizon and LRA partners for LTE, U.S. Cellular uses LTE bands 5 and 12.

Plus the Verizon Galaxy S5(your phone judging by the model number) does not support USCC's LTE bands.

Edited by SBJ1998

So by this understanding verizon no longer installs 3g/2g systems on their new towers? Doesn't that kind of screw the older phone users?

It's actually quite the smart move on VZW's part.  You can roam on USCC's infrastructure (2G) and get your calls and texts just fine, and you're on VZW LTE so you're not gobbling up your roaming data cap, and they didn't have to install 2/3G towers to expand their coverage.  

Then, when VoLTE drops, they are golden and didn't waste money on extraneous towers they'll just phase out soon.  If this is a widespread thing, I bet Verizon is pretty close to VoLTE nationwide.

I'm pretty sure most Verizon customers have upgraded to a 4G-capable phone by now (every non-budget device since the S3 has 4G, and even many budget phones since early 2014), and the ones who haven't probably don't need data, like my sister on her flip phone.  

Edited by BoгИX

I would agree if they had stronger signal... get 6 miles out and bang no 4g back to 1x roaming on uscc. There is no 3g fallback when the signal degrades.

I don't know if this corporate plan has a roaming cap. (Well over 5k lines)

I feel like I'm the only one who thinks that move on not having 1x/2g/3g is pure stupidity in every way. LTE aka GSM is horrible and will reduce coverage significantly compared to that of any CDMA mode. CDMA is a far better technology coverage wise. It just doesn't sometimes do well data wise for those data mongrels out there.

As for those pics. I've been telling you all along, nowhere does it appear as if it's roaming like you say.

As for those pics. I've been telling you all along, nowhere does it appear as if it's roaming like you say.

I do agree with you now after some further research. Apparently the lte upgrades to the area are part of Verizon lte rural America plan with partnership from "wireless partners llc" who put up the transmitters, but they are lte only, no 3g/2g.

So by this understanding verizon no longer installs 3g/2g systems on their new towers? Doesn't that kind of screw the older phone users?

I have no idea, but I do agree that CDMA is a superior technology, it's just underdeveloped compared to DC-HSPA+.

People like to point out that most of the rest of the world is GSM, so therefore it must be better.  I point out that population density is a lot lower on average in the US than in most European nations.  Because we have more rural space to cover, CDMA works better.

Of course, those same people can't understand why we don't have coast-to-coast 100mbps internet available in every nook and cranny of the country like in Japan.  Same answer...

People like to point out that most of the rest of the world is GSM, so therefore it must be better.  I point out that population density is a lot lower on average in the US than in most European nations.  Because we have more rural space to cover, CDMA works better.

Of course, those same people can't understand why we don't have coast-to-coast 100mbps internet available in every nook and cranny of the country like in Japan.  Same answer...

au KDDI in Japan still uses CDMA, in fact they use 800 MHz like we do. Keep in mind though the reason EV-DO is a lot slower than HSPA+ is because EV-DO hasn't had a revision in years. If CDMA was primarily in use, it would be able to do far more than what WCDMA/HSPA+ can. Hell WCDMA actually uses the same air interfaces as CDMA, it's just built off of GSM.

au KDDI in Japan still uses CDMA, in fact they use 800 MHz like we do. Keep in mind though the reason EV-DO is a lot slower than HSPA+ is because EV-DO hasn't had a revision in years. If CDMA was primarily in use, it would be able to do far more than what WCDMA/HSPA+ can. Hell WCDMA actually uses the same air interfaces as CDMA, it's just built off of GSM.

The only reason CDMA is not used in Europe is because the European Union mandated GSM as the ONLY network allowed.

I realize that LTE is going to take over eventually and the discussion of GSM vs CDMA will be moot...  But it'll be interesting to see what happens when Verizon starts selling LTE-only phones.  There are LOTS of areas that I've been in that do not get LTE reception.  They won't even be able to make an emergency call like the could now.

I know it's the wave of the future, but mandatory VoLTE calling is going to suck for the next several years until every carrier across the country has compatible LTE towers...

Or they start putting repeaters/amps on the inside of buildings...

I dont get any kind of service AT ALL in some buildings - it's pathetic.

It won't be mandatory VoLTE for a long, long time. But I bet that once VoLTE becomes deployed in a larger scale, we'll see carriers expanding 4G only, like what happened near Coolasice in Maine.

BTW @Coolasice (and Moosey too, if you're lurking): I am presently wearing a shirt that reads "Blue Hill, ME". I think that's close to you Coolasice, not so much Moosey. Apparently you can't get there from here LOL

Edited by BoгИX

It won't be mandatory VoLTE for a long, long time. But I bet that once VoLTE becomes deployed in a larger scale, we'll see carriers expanding 4G only, like what happened near Coolasice in Maine.

BTW @Coolasice (and Moosey too, if you're lurking): I am presently wearing a shirt that reads "Blue Hill, ME". I think that's close to you Coolasice, not so much Moosey. Apparently you can't get there from here LOL

Not really close, about 4 hr drive away. I have serviced machines there before.

The only reason CDMA is not used in Europe is because the European Union mandated GSM as the ONLY network allowed.

I realize that LTE is going to take over eventually and the discussion of GSM vs CDMA will be moot...  But it'll be interesting to see what happens when Verizon starts selling LTE-only phones.  There are LOTS of areas that I've been in that do not get LTE reception.  They won't even be able to make an emergency call like the could now.

I know it's the wave of the future, but mandatory VoLTE calling is going to suck for the next several years until every carrier across the country has compatible LTE towers...

<rant>

To sum it up. Ignorance is the wave of the future. Just because everyone does, doesn't mean you should. I think it's going to be funny when the coverage of VZW will guaranteed shrink by 25% because of the switch. It really is idiotic. Maybe they'll learn, but I'm sure they won't. Having GSM for about 8 months now, while having CDMA (and still having) for about 10 years or so now, GSM is the worst digital cellular mode I've ever seen. Many say digital is better in every way. That's partially true. If a digital (cellular) mode were developed in a proper way, it could beat that of analog or CDMA. But it doesn't. It's extremely flawed. Even with that flaw, companies still choose it.

I think there needs to be a balance of coverage and data and GSM only has one positive thing, DATA. We just need a update CDMA digital mode that can provide the same coverage to bandwidth that we have now. This a big rant. I just can't tell y'all how much I hate GSM. With all the traveling I do, I hate it more and more because the places I don't have service are just plain ridiculous. Even in cities, inside buildings, slightly off a main highway or freeway, GSM disappears. Even when it's sitting next to a tower that has CDMA and antennas that are pointing at you, you'll still lose a signal on GSM but not on CDMA.

</rant>

I agree.

LTE on USCC has been much better than VZW - VZWs LTE is (hands down) a dead-baby joke as far as a bragging right goes for them.

I walk into a gas station, poof, dropped call even with full LTE - in an instant I have 0 and have to go outside.

It's like T-Mobile.

Works outside, but its like a fart in the wind inside.

Idc what ANY map or rep or review says. On VZW LTE interiors are like Faraday cages.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I agree.

LTE on USCC has been much better than VZW - VZWs LTE is (hands down) a dead-baby joke as far as a bragging right goes for them.

I walk into a gas station, poof, dropped call even with full LTE - in an instant I have 0 and have to go outside.

It's like T-Mobile.

Works outside, but its like a fart in the wind inside.

Idc what ANY map or rep or review says. On VZW LTE interiors are like Faraday cages.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Which is weird because here (53818 SW Wisconsin for anyone interested) Verizon reception is king (both data and 2g) and this is the case for most of southwest WI I think. Granted carriers like TMO and ATT, and even Sprint have 0 reception so it's really down to USCC and Verizon. Both get ok signal but I've found from personal testing (S4, iPhone 5 and 6, Nexus 6) that Verizon has far better overall data and voice coverage. In fact it's so much better than our state phone contracts were switched from USCC to Verizon like two years ago. I am pretty good friends with our Telecommunications Engineer on campus and he hates USCC with a passion. 

Edited by Zenzr

Here in maine, verizon is still expanding, most of their areas with limited service roam at 1x on uscc systems. Some areas have verizon coverage were uscc is lacking.

I wish uscc offered the capabilities that the other big 3 offer (closed subnets for digi modems) otherwise we would have about 500 lines with them. We have over 700 lines in Maine with just verizon and about 50 are constantly roaming on uscc.