Coolasice

Verizon lte roaming agreement with uscellular

Verizon plans to end cdma service by 2021.... and be only lte...

They're keeping around CDMA for IOT, which would be security systems, mobile payment terminals, etc

CDMA works extremely well for that kind of stuff.

I agree.

LTE on USCC has been much better than VZW - VZWs LTE is (hands down) a dead-baby joke as far as a bragging right goes for them.

I walk into a gas station, poof, dropped call even with full LTE - in an instant I have 0 and have to go outside.

It's like T-Mobile.

Works outside, but its like a fart in the wind inside.

Idc what ANY map or rep or review says. On VZW LTE interiors are like Faraday cages.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Which is weird because here (53818 for anyone interested) Verizon reception is king (both data and 2g) and this is the case for most of southwest WI I think. Granted carriers like TMO and ATT, and even Sprint have 0 reception so it's really down to USCC and Verizon. Both get ok signal but I've found from personal testing (S4, iPhone 5 and 6, Nexus 6) that Verizon has far better overall data and voice coverage. In fact it's so much better than our state phone contracts were switched from USCC to Verizon like two years ago. I am pretty good friends with our Telecommunications Engineer on campus and he hates USCC with a passion. 

Every carrier has its dead spots, even in  "full native" coverage areas.  I think the manufacturer of your phone has something to do with it...  For example, I don't know if they still do, but Sprint used to have different coverage maps based on the individual phones.  Samsung phones always had less coverage than other phones for whatever reason.  (For some reason I keep thinking that they can't roam onto 1900Mhz, but that may be only during force-roam situations...)

Edited by Dalmus

CDMA definitely isn't going anywhere. The company I work for sells M2M GPS tracking devices (IOT), and we still have active 2g devices, but we are slowly transitioning everything over to CDMA. It's funny because our roll-out of CDMA has almost exactly coincided with the LTE roll out for mobile phones. Basically, as bandwidth is being off-loaded onto LTE, new 2nd tier devices are taking over the bandwidth for CDMA.

Given how many devices are being provisioned on CDMA for Verizon and Sprint (and USCC to a much lesser extent) I have a feeling that the 2021 date will be an ever-moving goal line. 

I agree.

LTE on USCC has been much better than VZW - VZWs LTE is (hands down) a dead-baby joke as far as a bragging right goes for them.

I walk into a gas station, poof, dropped call even with full LTE - in an instant I have 0 and have to go outside.

It's like T-Mobile.

Idc what ANY map or rep or review says. On VZW LTE interiors are like Faraday cages.

SHHHHHHHHHHH. VZW LTE isn't any different than USCC or any other carriers. Just lack of proper antenna aiming in your area. And lack of cell towers. But in the inside building sorta sense, totally true and annoying. You walk in any building with any GSM mode and it's literally like a Faraday cage. I noticed this like 8 years ago with my friends who have AT&T (which I sadly now have because I have no choice for the time being), that any time they'd walk in a building, even if close to a tower, signals would disappear. I never realized how bad it was until I switched to AT&T.

Even where I live with USCC coverage, which is great, we have 4G, but the moment you walk inside the signal is gone. I'll have as much as full bars 3G at home but LTE struggles to even come in. I've only been able to stay locked in once. Same applies to the VZW tower at the same location but ~150 feet higher on the tower. Although their antennas aren't aimed properly, so I can't even get their 3G or anything most of the time.

I agree.

It's like T-Mobile.

SHHHHHHHHHHH. VZW LTE isn't any different than USCC or any other carriers. Just lack of proper antenna aiming in your area. And lack of cell towers. But in the inside building sorta sense, totally true and annoying. You walk in any building with any GSM mode and it's literally like a Faraday cage. I noticed this like 8 years ago with my friends who have AT&T (which I sadly now have because I have no choice for the time being), that any time they'd walk in a building, even if close to a tower, signals would disappear. I never realized how bad it was until I switched to AT&T.

Even where I live with USCC coverage, which is great, we have 4G, but the moment you walk inside the signal is gone. I'll have as much as full bars 3G at home but LTE struggles to even come in. I've only been able to stay locked in once. Same applies to the VZW tower at the same location but ~150 feet higher on the tower. Although their antennas aren't aimed properly, so I can't even get their 3G or anything most of the time.

USCC and VZW have band 12 and band 13 respectively. USCC's band 5 is shared with 2 Korean carriers who have gigabit speeds which is pretty cool

The US is always a day late and a dollar short compared to S. Korea.

They dont have the $ hungry douchebag ISPs milking every dine out of their services - which BTW have been capable of 10 gigabit throughput for decades since it's on fiber - but only delivering <50 to end users.

Murica = $$$ Ain't got none? Well you're then you're worthless.

You want something done cheap and right go to S Korea.

Time to learn Korean I guess. I want a personal 10GB line. 

Also a separate line for each of my devices. 

Edited by Zenzr

I was there a week ago, it's pretty amazing to be honest. In the stores the display phones don't have any sort of restraint or security like in USA, I asked the store owner why and he just shrugged and said "We have cameras".

LG's got their own carrier, they sell Samsungs and iPhones which I found funny.

Time to learn Korean I guess. I want a personal 10GB line. 

Also a separate line for each of my devices. 

They still have unlimited data for like $50 a month.

But yea, it's interesting. USCC shares band 5(850 MHz) with SK Telecom and LG U+, but USCC doesn't have gigabit speeds like those carriers do.

Edited by SBJ1998

Actually my wife has uscc and I have Verizon. We live in the boondocks. One thing Verizon has topped uscc is only the WiFi calling access. I have to say that uscc has slacked with 4g as this town still don't have it when Verizon does. Yet, she can make calls using the uscc network with dropped calls and I can use WiFi calling. They both have their downfalls.

VZW doesn't have wifi calling.

Not that I'm aware of anyway. Didn't work on a Nexus and I've never seen it launched?

They have LTE calling - but never had wifi calling.

Chico is very close to native USCC LTE. As others have mentioned, the screen capture indicates Verizon CDMA and USCC LTE, which coincides with the roaming agreements we have with Verizon.