TG

Anyone using a 5x?

Lol.

But the Nexus 6 - TBH - was "too big" initially. I grew used to it - and even began loving the size - the 6P felt somewhat smaller but I grew used to it and now love it.

I think anybody can grow used to any phone - I still believe in personal preference tho, where if you've had a larger phone and disliked it - that's that - roll credits.

But I personally like "larger" phones - the N6 is definitely my limit tho and the 6P IMO fits the "just right" spot.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My roommate has a 5X. I've played around with it some. It's pretty good. It's no flagship, but it's solid. Definitely an improvement over his S4 and even my Moto X 2014. It's a perfectly-priced midranger.

Thanks Bornx, I'm still on the 2013 Moto X. Love that size, but after 2+ years, i'm getting the upgrade itch. Nothing from Samsung excites me, and too many others are just too big, not really interested in anything close to 6 inches. 

I'm almost half tempted to try an iPhone 6/6s (swallows vomit) to to try one. Say I've had one. 

You can always go in store and play with an iPhone if you want. Make sure you really want it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Are you just wanting to try the OS?

I couldn't stand that you needed to connect to iTunes to change even the ringtone. That was my "OK, I'm done, I hate this"

Are you just wanting to try the OS?

I couldn't stand that you needed to connect to iTunes to change even the ringtone. That was my "OK, I'm done, I hate this"

Oh I'm sure it'd never be a permanent move. But, the kids these days all seem to like them. Willing to drink a glass of the kook-aid, just to know what it tastes like. 

But, this is a Nexus thread and the simple sleakness of the Moto X has treated me well and I'd like to keep that going. 

My wife and I both have 5X on USC. Great phone but we seem to miss more phone calls than I care to. Not sure if there is anything that can be done about it since it's not officially 'supported' though.

Picked up a couple of 5X's from Swappa for a good price. Got one so far. Haven't activated it yet (one I received is for the wife who isn't home, mine should be delivered tomorrow), but playing around on wifi, it seems like a great phone. Very smooth & fast. Screen is a huge upgrade from my OG Moto X. Fingerprint sensor is stellar, thought it would be gimmicky but is really fast & well placed and has no issues recognizing the four fingers I programmed. Nice work Google/LG. I do wish ambient display was a bit quicker to respond like it is on my Moto X 

I don't have a USB-C to A cord, so I can't connect it to my laptop yet, so I haven't had a chance to unlock the bootloader or root it yet. Those USB-C cords are expensive compared to micro-usb, daaaaannng. Used to picking those up for pennies. Did order a few from amazon to replace some of the 292876 cords I have scattered all over the place (which I'll probably get to replace again in a few years when they finally start putting USB-C ports on laptops, etc. 

Wife is likely going to be blown away from her old S3. 

Edited by TG

Picked up a couple of 5X's from Swappa for a good price. Got one so far. Haven't activated it yet (one I received is for the wife who isn't home, mine should be delivered tomorrow), but playing around on wifi, it seems like a great phone. Very smooth & fast. Screen is a huge upgrade from my OG Moto X. Fingerprint sensor is stellar, thought it would be gimmicky but is really fast & well placed and has no issues recognizing the four fingers I programmed. Nice work Google/LG. I do wish ambient display was a bit quicker to respond like it is on my Moto X

I don't have a USB-C to A cord, so I can't connect it to my laptop yet, so I haven't had a chance to unlock the bootloader or root it yet. Those USB-C cords are expensive compared to micro-usb, daaaaannng. Used to picking those up for pennies. Did order a few from amazon to replace some of the 292876 cords I have scattered all over the place (which I'll probably get to replace again in a few years when they finally start putting USB-C ports on laptops, etc.

Wife is likely going to be blown away from her old S3.

Be VERY careful skimping on the USB type C cords. If you don't get one that has the proper 56k ohm resistor it can SEVERELY damage your phone, the charger wall wart, the computer, or even the wall socket itself. As in they could catch fire.

Best case scenario -- it fries your battery over a week or so of use

Worst case scenario -- a fire erupts.

Here's some info, as well as a link to the Googler who is buying and testing hundreds of USB-C cables and adapters on Amazon. If he gives it the OK in his review, it's definitely safe. Until this standard becomes more mainstream I would be VERY wary of manufacturers cutting corners like this.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/11/04/a-google-engineer-who-works-on-usb-type-c-products-is-reviewing-and-identifying-out-of-spec-potentially-dangerous-third-party-cables-and-adapters/

Edited by BoгИX

Well, great. Now I need to see if the ones I bought are good enough. 

DAmmit, found the ones I ordered and they don't meet spec. 

Nevermind, read further. Mine are good, I got the updated ones after they fixed the issue. 

Edited by TG

Quick mini-review. Both wife & I have been using the 5x for a couple weeks now. I'm really enjoying the phone. I am thoroughly impressed with the speed & convenience of the fingerprint sensor. Well done Google. Marshmallow is a nice upgrade. Neither of us have experienced any type of lag or performance issues that many have reported. Of course, neither of us are real power users/gamers. The rapid charging is alos a nice feature. I enjoy being able to have a fully charged phone in about an hour (from near death). 

I like the feel of the matte back, I've never been a picky one over plastic (like on Samsung). In fact, I almost prefer it as it won't ding/dent and is lighter. The two buttons do feel a little sloppy and are probably the weakest point of the entire phone, that and the headphone jack is almost too tight. Really got to yank it to get it free. Screen is fantastic (I'm coming from an OG Moto X), along with the camera which is really terrific. Battery life has been ok, not as good as I would get on my X, but can easily make it 24 hours with ~40% battery. Probably ~2 hours of SOT. 

I've since unlocked, TWRP, rom'd mine. Of course, lots of things out there for a Nexus. I'm happy to see Android Pay working with a rooted rom- now to just get xposed working with it...

Overall I'm really happy with it. Even moreso I got both used in perfect condition from Swappa for a really good deal. Had to get new nano-sims from USCC. After a typical awful experience in the store, lady said it's impossible to activate on their network since it wasn't bought from them. I told her that's not true. She wasn't even going to try, until another employee walked by and asked if that was the 5x and picked it up to look at. He informed her they most certainly could be activated, just treat them like an iPhone during activation. 

I just ditched my 2014 Moto X for a 5x after our carrier was abandoned only a year after release....decided it was Nexus or bust, so I found a deal on a 5x.

I don't imagine a ton of people are using the 5x on USC, but I love how much dev support there is for this phone. I love that when Google does stop updating this phone, I'll likely be able to squeeze a bit more life out of it with 3rd party development.

Yep I dumped my 2014 X for the 5X.  I got a good deal on Amazon and haven't had any trouble at all.  I love not having bloat and getting those sweet sweet updates.  Lovin' it so far!