Evil John

Worth upgrading from G3 if it saves $ in the long run?

So, USCC has been bugging me about getting off my subsidized phones, and moving to installment plans. 

I have had the G3 for a year, so another year or so (until November) on the subsidy.

I am spending $40/month for the subsidy price, but if I went to the installment plan, it would be more like $31/month.

I'm pretty happy with the G3, but a deal is a deal :-)

My original plan was to pay out the subsidy, then buy something outright like a nexus 5x or a moto x PE.

Thoughts?

John. 

Your original plan is, IMO, your best possible option.

No additional monthly cost, just one up front cost - which broken into 24 months is $15.79/mo - half of their "deal"

BUT - if you would prefer to go their route, nothing wrong with that, but they will want the G3 back. You can't keep it.

IDK - i still cant shake the whole monthly cost thing for phones.  You end up paying more than 4x what they will be worth by the end of the term.  What I mean by that is that the phone, if done monthly, ends up costing you $744.  In 24 months, that phone will be <$200 brand new, outright, and they will probably get down on their hands and knees begging you to buy it

Thats. Absolutely. Absurd.

Youre better off buying ANY phone outright over monthly payments.

(Additional thoughts):

You can sell the Nexus whenever you want, and it will hold it's value WAY better than any USCC branded phone because a Nexus can be used ANYWHERE on ANY carrier (same applies to the XPE)

The Nexus/XPE will cost half as much - and you can take it if you ever leave USCC.

And god will love you.  Forever.

TL;DR

There's absolutely no cons to going the XPE/Nexus route - theres a lot of cons to USCC's route. 

Thanks for the response. Good food for thought. Probably will hold off. Just sometimes get that new-tech-itch.

I'm also not thrilled with the idea of turning in my current phone. Always like to have a backup in case something happens with my daily driver.

Edited by Evil John

Oh wow... They must not care too much about the G4, that or LG is less nazi about their phones than Sammy or Apple - who's phones don't drop in price until the next iteration comes out - then it only drops 10%

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thinking they aren't selling well so they want to dump them. I'm going to hit up the agent stores around here to see if I can pick up a 15 day return for $120.

Thinking they aren't selling well so they want to dump them. I'm going to hit up the agent stores around here to see if I can pick up a 15 day return for $120.

Damn. Agent stores are the only one that come in right? I may be saving up my money then... would be nice to have a semi recent back up to my N6.... Can the G4 be rooted at least?

Man any agent store near me has 15 day phones for only like 10-15% off. never mind.

Wow...that's crap.
Yup lol. It's dumb.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Called around here and nothing. May just end up going the financing route, I owe more on it than what I could sell it for, so it makes sense to trade it in.
Paying $20 a month on it and the G4 is $10 a month. Kind of a no brainer..lol