Sign in to follow this  
mwc104

Stuck in bootloop.

Details:  My wife was using her phone and it started shutting down services (contacts, calendar, etc). She manually powered it down and then turned back on a few minutes later. Same thing started happening the next day and this time it stuck on the M logo screen.

All I can do with the phone is boot into Fastboot and the screen with the dead Android. The only option I have not tried is a factory restore option in the recovery mode because she has pictures and videos of our daughter that we don't want to lose if possible (no SD card in the phone, unfortunately).

I've tried using RSDLite and mFastboot according to some articles on xda and TUSC, but nothing seems to work. They all just fail. The only XML file I've been able to use is the 7.7..... one floating around. Even tried deleting the getVar lines out of the xml and it still fails.

Here's what the fastboot screen says if it's any help

AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)

10.9B(*) (sha-613cb9a, 2014-07-11 15:46:43)

eMMC Info: Size 8GB

Device is LOCKED. Status Code: 0

Battery OK

Transfer Mode:

USB Connected

Fastboot Reason: Key pressed

I called a friend who use to work at US Cellular corporate tech and he said I should take it to a local store to see if their tools can flash it without deleting user data. That's what I tried doing with RSDLite but had no luck. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Any ideas what to try?

Also, this phone has not been modded in any way. I believe it has all the latest updates for it installed.

Edited by mwc104

In recovery - if you connect it to PC you should have access to the internal storage.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Really!? Is there something I have to do from command prompt or elsewhere to do that? When I'm in recovery mode and plug the USB in, it doesn't do anything. The only time I see it connected in the Device Manager is when it's in Fastboot.

In recovery - if you connect it to PC you should have access to the internal storage.

Really!? Is there something I have to do from command prompt or elsewhere to do that? When I'm in recovery mode and plug the USB in, it doesn't do anything. The only time I see it connected in the Device Manager is when it's in Fastboot.

I don't think there is access to the internal storage via "stock" recovery.  (It works with TWRP, but that would wipe your device.)

I don't think there is access to the internal storage via "stock" recovery.  (It works with TWRP, but that would wipe your device.)

Darn. I tried another suggestion of using adb to pull the files out but when I run the command it says device not found. My wife thinks this thing is going to eventually boot and I can't get it across to her if it hasn't in 2 days, it's not going to. I read where one guy did the factory restore from the recovery console and it actually left is internal storage stuff alone. He had all his pics and other stuff. Is that common?

Did you get to the factory recovery screen (which is past the "dead android" screen).  Since there is an option to "apply update from adb", there maybe a chance that adb works?

I have had that happen - where it didn't wipe userdata but idk why or how it didn't.

I wouldn't do that. Not yet.

Lemme think.... Did the device have a security code at all? Like a pattern or pin?

I have had that happen - where it didn't wipe userdata but idk why or how it didn't.

I wouldn't do that. Not yet.

Lemme think.... Did the device have a security code at all? Like a pattern or pin?

Yes, she had a security pin to get to the phone home screen.

Did you get to the factory recovery screen (which is past the "dead android" screen).  Since there is an option to "apply update from adb", there maybe a chance that adb works?

Yes, I can get to the dead android screen and press power + vol up and get a menu, which one option is apply update from adb. I've never done this so not sure of the steps to try.

If you are on that screen, you might try "adb devices" from the command line (with the phone plugged in) to see if it is recognized.  From there you could do an "adb pull sdcard/". 

Minimal adb-fastboot tools, if needed:  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317790

Edited by JohnB

If you are on that screen, you might try "adb devices" from the command line (with the phone plugged in) to see if it is recognized.  From there you could do an "adb pull sdcard/". 

Minimal adb-fastboot tools, if needed:  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317790

ADB shows nothing under List of Devices. It seems the only time the USB connection is recognized by the PC is in Fastboot. Recovery doesn't seem to show up.

Edit: If I select apply update using adb, then you hear the USB plug chime and at the command prompt adb devices returns a device name.

Edit 2: Even though it can see the device, any adb command reports back with error:closed. I've tried making sure the adb files are updated but still not working. Ohhhh, why does this have to be so difficult!

Edited by mwc104

Just a shot in the dark here, but have you tried clearing the caches in the stock recovery? Never hurts, just will take a bit longer to boot up if it does

Just a shot in the dark here, but have you tried clearing the caches in the stock recovery? Never hurts, just will take a bit longer to boot up if it does

Yea, I ran the clear cache. It ran < 1 second and then went back to the boot screen and stuck there. I had it sitting there for hours. I tried flashing some other programs and the Fastboot screen says

downgraded security version

update gpt_main version failed

preflash validation failed for GPT

Stupid question, but could any of this problem be from not using the OEM cord? I grabbed a USB cord out of my truck I use for charging. Granted, I was using the OEM one on my home computer and still got the same RSD Lite flashing error "partition_signed" blah blah blah.

I really, really doubt it.

I use the oem cord sometimes, but 90% of the time it's 3rd party cords - never had issues other than occasionally slow charging if it's a crap cord.

On some devices it's the cord - wont allow data to communicate back and forth.  

If the same thing happens with the OEM cord it *could* be a bad cord or USB port - its worth a shot trying other ones, but there';s a slim chance, unless it's a gas station cord, nothing bad happens due to a bad cord.

I really, really doubt it.

I use the oem cord sometimes, but 90% of the time it's 3rd party cords - never had issues other than occasionally slow charging if it's a crap cord.

On some devices it's the cord - wont allow data to communicate back and forth.  

If the same thing happens with the OEM cord it *could* be a bad cord or USB port - its worth a shot trying other ones, but there';s a slim chance, unless it's a gas station cord, nothing bad happens due to a bad cord.

Well, crud. I'm kind of at a loss right now what to do with this thing. It's disheartening reading posts of people with the exact problem and RSD Lite fixed it and I don't have that luck. My wife is gonna lose it. I guess I should have just bought an SD card and we wouldn't be worrying about it. :(

In fastboot can you plug it in and see it in adb?

When I boot the phone to fastboot and then open adb using command prompt (windows), if i run adb devices it shows a connected device. When I try to run commands, i get error:closed. I have verified in the device manager that the phone does exist.

Well, I tried messing with my wife's old Moto X (non-root / stock recovery), and it appears that the Moto Recovery is "crippled" and does not have a fully functioning ADB.  Not sure what to tell you at this point....

So I was able to get rsd lite to run using the jb stock rom from this site. I had to remove each line that would fail during the flash, however after the reboot command it still stuck on the M logo screen. I decided to try the wipe data and factory restore option from the recovery screen and a couple command lines ran and it rebooted immediately and stuck at the M logo, which tells me factory restore doesn't work.

Anyone know if Motorola still repairs phones? Or if anyone on this site does repair? My wife's desperate to get our daughters pics and videos.

I'm stuck in boot mode as well.  Not rooted, not unlocked. Phone got stuck in boot right around the same time I was due for an upgrade so I never messed with it.  Shattered my Moto X (2nd Gen) so I'm trying to get this running until my next upgrade.  

I am able to get into the stock recovery, however RSD Lite does not recognize the device.  Any idea what I'm doing wrong there?

Can I just install the stock firmware from an SD Card or ADB?  If so, any instructions would be appreciated!!