Sign in to follow this  
guineaphinea

Nexus 6P on Prepaid

Hey guys!

Looking to purchase a 32GB Nexus 6P from the Google Store in the next couple days for exclusive use on Project Fi.  Doing this will bring me out from underneath my parent's dated Family Share 1000 plan and save me quite a bit of money.

Should I not like the service I receive with Fi, I'll be looking to return to US Cellular on their 2GB Prepaid plan.  Is USCC a stickler for using unlocked phones with their prepaid service?  I know at one time USCC wouldn't allow unlocked phones on their network and I want to make sure I'll be safe before I make my purchase.  Reading Rub's story about his 6P wasn't all that reassuring, even if it was Huawei's issue.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by guineaphinea

I can reaffirm that it was ALL Huaweis fault - they were dumb enough to ship me the wrong phone and were just d*ckheaded enough to not allow me to return it for the correct one.

As for using the Nexus 6P on PP, I just tested the MEID from my phone and it said it was already activated - but didn't say it wouldn't do it.

I'll test this again tomorrow with a 32GB 6P that isn't activated at all and is known to work on uscc just fine - I'll let you know if it allows it.

I think they will.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Alright - just gave it another go

Nexus 6P - has been used on but is not currently on, uscc:

It was unable to verify that it would work - BUT - I can assure you that USCC will activate it on a post paid account, I see no real reason they wouldnt activate it on a prepaid account.

I called my local USCC and they said they they would activate a Nexus 6, or Nexus 5X that was purchased unlocked - and they they were confident it could be done, but they can't give me a direct clear answer ans they have never tried it.

NOW - having said that - It's a 32GB purchased form Huawei (henceforth known as "the bastards") - I also have a 32GB from Huawei and it never had any issues AT ALL, it worked just fine from the git-go, nothing like the 128.

SO In conclusion and my opinion; I think it would work, and in the very off chance that it somehow doesnt - I would get a post paid plan (as much as I hate those, too) but I fear that would be your only option.

One tip though, if you do end up taking it to USCC, dont say it's a 6P - just say it's a 5X, and when they ask for the MEID give them the IMEI but LEAVE OFF THE LAST NUMBER - and it will work just fine.

Awesome.  If for whatever reason they won't allow it on the prepaid account, I may be transferring over to Verizon's prepaid seeing as the coverage is similar and the prices are identical...

Either way, this 3 year old S4, no matter how good it's been to me, has to go.  This will be my first Nexus device and I'm quite excited about it!

Thanks for your help!

Just put in my order for a 32GB Nexus 6P with Nexus Protect!  Can't wait!

I went to our local USCC store and spoke with the agent that has helped out our family for about 15 years...she said that I can activate the Nexus 5X on a prepaid plan, which means the 6P should work as well.

Day 2 with the 6P. You're right, I love the Nexus! I was running a GPE ROM on my S4 so this was just what I wanted. I did have one random reboot, but hopefully that was just a fluke.

Also, Project Fi isn't half bad. I get decent service at my house, which is saying a lot. I saw T-Mobile coverage when I first set up the phone, but it seems to have settled onto Sprint. Either way, I'm impressed. I really wish USCC would implement WiFi calling, but that's a topic for another day.

I'll keep y'all posted if I decide to switch back. Quick question: is there a way to see which carrier bands are available in an area? Curiosity is getting to me. beb509d47dc30f53564894459d808dd2.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk