Indie

LG G5

So with the LG G5 announcement coming up soon I was wondering what your thoughts are on this device? I still love my G3 and when I'm eligible to upgrade this summer I'm sure I'll be getting the G5.

*IS* a beast?

I haven't heard anything that made me drool or think "oh wow that awesome" about it. Seems to offer little more than any other modern smartphone?

I'm not being critical, but I feel like LG is doing what Samsung does - release the next iteration as fast as possible - it feel like the G4 came out not long ago - now they're talking the G5.

Just like Samsung, I can't fathom they differ enough to justify a new model this quickly. Samsung pulls the same crap and it's painfully obvious that they're just trying to mimic Apple.

Except... Sammy brought back SD storage and removable battery after seeing that the whole "follow the leader" thing doesn't work.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

*IS* a beast?

I haven't heard anything that made me drool or think "oh wow that awesome" about it. Seems to offer little more than any other modern smartphone?

I'm not being critical, but I feel like LG is doing what Samsung does - release the next iteration as fast as possible - it feel like the G4 came out not long ago - now they're talking the G5.

Just like Samsung, I can't fathom they differ enough to justify a new model this quickly. Samsung pulls the same crap and it's painfully obvious that they're just trying to mimic Apple.

Except... Sammy brought back SD storage and removable battery after seeing that the whole "follow the leader" thing doesn't work.

It could be pretty good.  Snapdragon 820 (which brings Quick Charge 3.0 with it), always-on screen (sure other OEMs are reportedly doing this also, but none are out yet which is almost exciting), and the elusive "Magic Slot" could EITHER be kind of cool or really gimmicky.

QC3.0 and this magic slot are enough different for my approval of a next-generation device.  It's way more of a revolutionary update than, say, S4 to S5.

Edited by BoгИX

I don't know that I would ever use the "magic slot". I have yet to need to replace the battery in my G3, and I understand the G5 also has quick charging.

I'm not sure how I feel about the app drawer going away. Rumor has it that in Android N it is going away anyway, and frankly I put stuff in folders now,

I like my quick circle cover, and like the quick cover I saw for the G5 which allows for some operations to be performed with the case closed.

Having said all that, when my contract is up in November, I will be giving it serious consideration.

Of course that depends on what happens with the Nexus line, or if the Moto X PE gets an update.

Yeah it sounds like the app drawer will soon be a thing of the past. I would imagine you could use a launcher if you wanted to keep the app drawer.

I'm not sure if I would ever use the magic slot either, but I just love the fact LG is trying new things and not giving us the same phone every year. My G3 performs as well as it did when I first got it about a year and a half ago. Love LG and won't be going back to Samsung anytime soon.

No app drawer = apple

Which, IMO, would be the single most retarded move in the history of android.

I'm on the shelf, Google wouldn't (I hope) remove the app drawer without implementing some other feature. I'm excited to see what that hopefully is. 

No app drawer = apple

Which, IMO, would be the single most dumb move in the history of android.

http://www.xda-developers.com/lg-g5-has-an-app-drawer-after-all-mwc-2016/

Seems that it may be off by default but it is a option. The Galaxy S7 has a experimental option for turning off the app drawer as well. Seems that LG was more focused on its design which is fine with me. A aluminum body with a removable battery and sd card slot.

Im not trying to be biased but the S7 feels like what the S6 should've been besides the Snapdragon 820.

The LG5 has my vote over the GS7! The GS7 will only come in the 32gb version in the US. The sd card expansion is a joke since Samsung has disabled the option in Marshmellow for Adoptable storage rendering the sd card pretty much useless!

Why would they have the option for expandable storage but disable it? Where did you hear that?

Would be pretty stupid for them to say that they brought it back only to have them cripple it.

They DID do that with the S5 i believe, but a simple change to the media config (root required) fixed it - still stupid, almost violently stupid, but 4.4 broke it, also.

The LG5 has my vote over the GS7! The GS7 will only come in the 32gb version in the US. The sd card expansion is a joke since Samsung has disabled the option in Marshmellow for Adoptable storage rendering the sd card pretty much useless!

Have you tried moving apps to SD in marshmallow? It's a horrible experience.

As long as apps (like the camera and Google play music) can store files there, I think it's a huge advantage to have an SD card.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 (klteusc) running CM13 1.30.16 with xposed

Why would they have the option for expandable storage but disable it? Where did you hear that?

Would be pretty stupid for them to say that they brought it back only to have them cripple it.

They DID do that with the S5 i believe, but a simple change to the media config (root required) fixed it - still stupid, almost violently stupid, but 4.4 broke it, also.

Expandable storage works, but adoptable store is disabled (can't be use as internal memory)

Oh... but that doesnt really matter does it?  I mean, I dont think Ive ever needed it to be seen as internal (as it would be a lot slower than internal, even the BEST micro SD cards are a lot slower than internal) - so thats not really an issue is it?

If you have a good SD card (Class 10 with at least 40MB/s r/w) it should be able to write to it as fast as the camera can shoot to it.

At the very least you could move the pics AFTER taking them from internal to external - a pain, yes, but that would prevent people from buying crap cards and then complaining that their pics/videos dont work or crash - because they had a 5 year old crap card.

Ive had a lot of people complain that they had issues, and it was because they were using a card that they ALSO used in their Rokr - yeah - but then a few of them still refused to believe me.

I will gladly change from my G4 to the G5. The performance gains on the phone and the camera and last but not least the build quality are worth it alone. Plus the faster charging is a nice improvement.. The app drawer removal yeah I am not sure on that but since that will be something done going forward by google y not get people used to it now. Do I wish there were a few things in the G5 like it being a waterproof or maybe a larger battery yes but all in all I am happy with the specs and performance of the G5..

But hey what do I know.. ;-)

I will gladly change from my G4 to the G5. The performance gains on the phone and the camera and last but not least the build quality are worth it alone. Plus the faster charging is a nice improvement.. The app drawer removal yeah I am not sure on that but since that will be something done going forward by google y not get people used to it now. Do I wish there were a few things in the G5 like it being a waterproof or maybe a larger battery yes but all in all I am happy with the specs and performance of the G5..

But hey what do I know.. ;-)

XDA found the App Drawer. Its included but off by default. Nova is always a option too (:

Edited by Kir6y

So it's basically business as usual, but more secure.

OTG isn't a thing anymore evidently...

Idk. I guess we will have to see how this plays out

I've had no issues with SD as internal. It's been great keeping many of my Google play movie selections downloaded. I did however purchase an expensive card.

Moto X Pure via Tapatalk 4.9.5

Very interested in this phone for my wife. Her priorities are camera, call quality and no phablets. I on the other hand can't managed to stray from dual front facing speakers and Moto notifications , well, Moto everything really.

Moto X Pure via Tapatalk 4.9.5