cPfeifer

How does Device Turn In work on Retail Installment

Question

I'm curious how the device turn in works for retail installment contracts, where you can turn it in after 12 of the 24 months and discontinue the remaining payments and start a new contract on a newer device.

I remember it saying "good condition" what exactly goes into a device being in "good condition"?

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

33 answers to this question

It has to be in good enough condition to be sold in a "used - like new" condition.

No obvious scratches, cracks, dings, excessive wear, etc...

That's what that means. If it can be looked at (and used) and it's obvious that it's been heavily used, that may stop them from allowing you to trade it in.

Then you pick another device and start making payments on that.

It's like leasing a vehicle. It has to look all but new when you turn it in an you can put too many miles on it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The issue here is that Samsung Pay doesn't work if the counter is tripped. Before, it was easy to overlook Knox being tripped. Now it's more in the foreground.

Though it's unlikely that it would come back on you after the rep quickly inspects the device's functionality and authorizes the trade, we now have a truly useful (to some) feature that a tripped Knox disables, so we may see this becoming a hurdle for Samsung users in the future.

Now for the real question.. Knox counter? Lol I feel as tho ik the answer. And that it may just be a game of odds add to whether the rep I deal with would know to check it.

Another question, is it turn in after half the installment or 12 months? I thought I signed up for 24 months but turns out it was 20.

Seeing as your on the 20 month payment plan, trade in is after 12 payments.
Payment plan is now 24 months and upgrade after 18 payments.

I was going to trade in my G3, but ended up I only owed a little over $100 on it. so, I paid it off and kept it to resell myself.
was paying $20/month on it and G4 was marked down to $10/month or $240 retail. Was a no brainer. lol

19 hours ago, iRub1Out said:

You do have to turn it in.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yeah I know that much, wasn't really what I meant lol

14 hours ago, Ace3166 said:

Seeing as your on the 20 month payment plan, trade in is after 12 payments.
Payment plan is now 24 months and upgrade after 18 payments.

I was going to trade in my G3, but ended up I only owed a little over $100 on it. so, I paid it off and kept it to resell myself.
was paying $20/month on it and G4 was marked down to $10/month or $240 retail. Was a no brainer. lol

Is that why the pre-month payments seem lower? Because their spread out more. And damn upgrade after 18 months instead of 12 months.. I thought the point of retail installment was so people could upgrade every year like they want to, without costing USCC a ton of money in subsidized pricing. Now I don't know if I was retail installment a new S7e or not..

You can pay off the rest of the device at any time, but if you want to upgrade for free and turn in the phone you'll have to wait until the 18 month mark.

We need someone to confirm this, anyone know a guy?

There is usually a section on your account page that will tell you how,much you need to pay on that device to upgrade early. Ive done it 2 or 3 times.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, dave0812 said:

There is usually a section on your account page that will tell you how,much you need to pay on that device to upgrade early. Ive done it 2 or 3 times.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

I was looking around the website and could not find anything.

Hi there! I'm a guy. I've been working for a US Cellular Authorized Agent in Dubuque Iowa for a year and a half now. Originally installments were set for 24 months with a 12 payment/month upgrade option. That was then changed to 20 month with a 12 payment/month option. Now, it's a 24 month 18 payment/month option. Depending on which one you set up on and when decides on when early upgrade date is. You have the ability to payoff the entire installment plan at any point in time, and a little known fact, you can also pay up to the 12/18 payment mark and do your early upgrade option earlier. When you do your early upgrade option, you need to have the device in "good condition". From my understanding, US Cellular are feeding those phones into their used phone inventory. So "good condition" means that you yourself wouldn't feel cheated if you bought a used phone from US Cellular and it was in the condition it's in. My rule of thumb is usually no cracked screen or lens, phone is powering on, and all of the normal functions of the phone are intact. My agent location normally doesn't care that it may have scratches or light wear on the device. Touch base with me if you have any other questions.

Edited by Samleick

I'm confused.  This thread and one a few threads down in this forum talk about being able to upgrade at 18 months.  I know that in the past I could use Belief Points to upgrade early.  Those are of course gone.  I'm past the 18 month point.  I'm at 24 months on April 4, my wife will hit 24 months on May 14.  So, we are so close we might as well wait.  But, I'm confused because everything here says you can upgrade after 18 months, or payments.  My account page lists both our phones. Under the picture of the phone it says "Upgrade this device without a discount" and to the right it says we have 0 months and 0 days left until we can upgrade at a discounted price, below that it says we will be eligible on the dates I gave.  When I click on the "upgrade with out a discount" the only choice it gives me is a 2 year contract with the phones at full price.  Is the site screwed up, am I missing something, or do I just wait until the dates, which are just weeks away, and what kind of a discount can I get then?

I probably should have mentioned, (I did infer) that we are on an old Belief plan.  I'm on a online chat with USCellular now, and he's trying to get me to move to a new plan.  Everything on this thread talks about being able to upgrade after 18 months, but at this point he says I have to buy out the remaining time, which of course isn't much for us at this point, but still seems different than what I have been reading here.  

I guess I received my answer.

[David] Thank you sir that's it! What line on the account are you looking to do an upgrade on?
[Visitor] Both
[David] Is anything going on with either phone? Or just looking to get something new?
[Visitor] Nothing wrong with them, just wanted something new.
[Visitor] Used to be able to do this with belief points, but you took those away
[David] Let me look into some options for you, did you have your eye on anything in particular as far as devices go? We did eliminate the belief points program to help provide better overall service to our customers, for things like expanding 4G, and better roaming coverage when traveling.
[Visitor] Galaxy S7 Edges
[Visitor] Be nice if you could still do something for customers who have been with you for 11 years.
[David] We do certainly appreciate you as a long time customer, and have many ways to assist in getting new devices, I'm checking on a couple of those for you right now.
[David] Thanks for holding for me David, both of your lines are within 6 months of upgrade eligibility which means they both qualify for Early Equipment Upgrades, #3016 would qualify for an early upgrade for $29.24 and #3018 would qualify for an early upgrade for $14.66. On your current plan when upgrading to new devices you must take the devices at Retail Installments (paying for the devices over a 24 month period). Have you looked into our New Shared Connect Plans to see if they would be a better fit for you and possibly save you some money?
[Visitor] We have looked. Main change would be that we would have less data in our plan for possibly a little less money.
[David] Based on your average usage from the last months a 3GB Shared Connect Plan would be a perfect fit, it's good to have a lot of data on each line like you currently do, unless you are paying for data you aren't using, we want to make sure you are on the best plan to fit your needs and budget.
[Visitor] We'll consider it. 
[David] I would be happy to provide a breakdown for you on what your bill would look like with both lines upgrading on your current plan vs a new plan.
[Visitor] OK. I'd like to see that. But the bottom line is, we can upgrade early, but we have to buy out the remaining time, we really can't upgrade early without a penalty.
[David] You can upgrade early with a small fee, it is not a penalty, it is a convenience we offer to our customers in case things come up, sometimes phones break, sometimes customers just want something new, we want to offer flexibility for our customers to get what they want. Here is a breakdown of your current plan vs a new plan as listed below.
[David] Current Plan
$139.99
#3016- $32.50 Retail Installment Payment for S7 Edge+ $8.99 Device Protection
#3018- $32.50 Retail Installment Payment for S7 Edge+ $8.99 Device Protection
Coming to a total of $222.97 before taxes and fees

Shared Connect Plan with 3GB of Data and Unlimited Talk and Text- $40.00
#3018- $40.00 Smartphone Connection Charge+ $8.99 Device Protection
#3016- $40.00 Smartphone Connection Charge+ $8.99 Device Protection
Coming to a total of $137.98 before taxes and fees, these prices are getting the S7 Edge at 2 year contract pricing of $299.99 each

Shared Connect 3GB Data Plan with Unlimited Talk and Text- $40.00
#3016- $20.00 Smartphone Connection Charge + $32.50 Retail Installment Payment+ $8.99 Device Protection
#3018- $20.00 Smartphone Connection Charge + $32.50 Retail Installment Payment+ $8.99 Device Protection
Coming to a total of $162.98 before taxes and fees, and this pricing is with the S7 Edge on Retail Installments, does all this make sense?
[Visitor] So on our current plan you no longer give the subsidized phones, we have to move to the shared connect plan?
[David] On the retired plans the only way to receive an upgraded device is with the Retail Installment option, on the Shared Connect Plans you have flexibility with taking either option, the benefit to the Retail Installment plan is after 18 payments you can trade them in toward another Retail Installment upgrade.
[Visitor] OK, I will have to talk it over with my wife. Thank you.

The 18 month is just for those on installment plans.  Another way to get those of us still on the old plans to change.

Edited by Bogy
More Info.

There are no more discounted (subsidized)phones when you upgrade on a belief plan. You have to pay full price or do the retail installment.

I'm confused.  This thread and one a few threads down in this forum talk about being able to upgrade at 18 months.  I know that in the past I could use Belief Points to upgrade early.  Those are of course gone.  I'm past the 18 month point.  I'm at 24 months on April 4, my wife will hit 24 months on May 14.  So, we are so close we might as well wait.  But, I'm confused because everything here says you can upgrade after 18 months, or payments.  My account page lists both our phones. Under the picture of the phone it says "Upgrade this device without a discount" and to the right it says we have 0 months and 0 days left until we can upgrade at a discounted price, below that it says we will be eligible on the dates I gave.  When I click on the "upgrade with out a discount" the only choice it gives me is a 2 year contract with the phones at full price.  Is the site screwed up, am I missing something, or do I just wait until the dates, which are just weeks away, and what kind of a discount can I get then?

I probably should have mentioned, (I did infer) that we are on an old Belief plan.  I'm on a online chat with USCellular now, and he's trying to get me to move to a new plan.  Everything on this thread talks about being able to upgrade after 18 months, but at this point he says I have to buy out the remaining time, which of course isn't much for us at this point, but still seems different than what I have been reading here.  

I guess I received my answer.

[David] Thank you sir that's it! What line on the account are you looking to do an upgrade on? [Visitor] Both [David] Is anything going on with either phone? Or just looking to get something new? [Visitor] Nothing wrong with them, just wanted something new. [Visitor] Used to be able to do this with belief points, but you took those away [David] Let me look into some options for you, did you have your eye on anything in particular as far as devices go? We did eliminate the belief points program to help provide better overall service to our customers, for things like expanding 4G, and better roaming coverage when traveling. [Visitor] Galaxy S7 Edges [Visitor] Be nice if you could still do something for customers who have been with you for 11 years. [David] We do certainly appreciate you as a long time customer, and have many ways to assist in getting new devices, I'm checking on a couple of those for you right now. [David] Thanks for holding for me David, both of your lines are within 6 months of upgrade eligibility which means they both qualify for Early Equipment Upgrades, #3016 would qualify for an early upgrade for $29.24 and #3018 would qualify for an early upgrade for $14.66. On your current plan when upgrading to new devices you must take the devices at Retail Installments (paying for the devices over a 24 month period). Have you looked into our New Shared Connect Plans to see if they would be a better fit for you and possibly save you some money? [Visitor] We have looked. Main change would be that we would have less data in our plan for possibly a little less money. [David] Based on your average usage from the last months a 3GB Shared Connect Plan would be a perfect fit, it's good to have a lot of data on each line like you currently do, unless you are paying for data you aren't using, we want to make sure you are on the best plan to fit your needs and budget. [Visitor] We'll consider it.  [David] I would be happy to provide a breakdown for you on what your bill would look like with both lines upgrading on your current plan vs a new plan. [Visitor] OK. I'd like to see that. But the bottom line is, we can upgrade early, but we have to buy out the remaining time, we really can't upgrade early without a penalty. [David] You can upgrade early with a small fee, it is not a penalty, it is a convenience we offer to our customers in case things come up, sometimes phones break, sometimes customers just want something new, we want to offer flexibility for our customers to get what they want. Here is a breakdown of your current plan vs a new plan as listed below. [David] Current Plan

$139.99

#3016- $32.50 Retail Installment Payment for S7 Edge+ $8.99 Device Protection

#3018- $32.50 Retail Installment Payment for S7 Edge+ $8.99 Device Protection

Coming to a total of $222.97 before taxes and fees

Shared Connect Plan with 3GB of Data and Unlimited Talk and Text- $40.00

#3018- $40.00 Smartphone Connection Charge+ $8.99 Device Protection

#3016- $40.00 Smartphone Connection Charge+ $8.99 Device Protection

Coming to a total of $137.98 before taxes and fees, these prices are getting the S7 Edge at 2 year contract pricing of $299.99 each

Shared Connect 3GB Data Plan with Unlimited Talk and Text- $40.00

#3016- $20.00 Smartphone Connection Charge + $32.50 Retail Installment Payment+ $8.99 Device Protection

#3018- $20.00 Smartphone Connection Charge + $32.50 Retail Installment Payment+ $8.99 Device Protection

Coming to a total of $162.98 before taxes and fees, and this pricing is with the S7 Edge on Retail Installments, does all this make sense? [Visitor] So on our current plan you no longer give the subsidized phones, we have to move to the shared connect plan? [David] On the retired plans the only way to receive an upgraded device is with the Retail Installment option, on the Shared Connect Plans you have flexibility with taking either option, the benefit to the Retail Installment plan is after 18 payments you can trade them in toward another Retail Installment upgrade. [Visitor] OK, I will have to talk it over with my wife. Thank you. The 18 month is just for those on installment plans.  Another way to get those of us still on the old plans to change.

In a nutshell it sounds like it costs MORE for this new plan... 3gb shared vs 10gb (5 GB each line) and pay $299 times two and the monthly payment is only $2.00 cheaper? That is insane... Sorry have to say that...

Or better yet go with the payments and pay a left nut more per month... Oh and for less data...

Sorry I just shake my head at how much companies rip their customers off....

Time to keep buying phones from Google and not from USCellular

1 hour ago, dBuster said:

In a nutshell it sounds like it costs MORE for this new plan... 3gb shared vs 10gb (5 GB each line) and pay $299 times two and the monthly payment is only $2.00 cheaper? That is insane... Sorry have to say that...

Or better yet go with the payments and pay a left nut more per month... Oh and for less data...

Sorry I just shake my head at how much companies rip their customers off....

Time to keep buying phones from Google and not from USCellular

Yeah, the only thing that costs more is if I would stay on my old plan and want to upgrade from our S4's.  From what David told me they would continue to charge me the same amount they did when our subsidized phones were included, with an installment for new phones on top of that.  Less data, although as David says, and someone else mentioned earlier, we've never gotten close to using all our data.  Most of the time we are on wifi, at home, work, meetings, family.  The other positive aspect, as mentioned earlier in the threat is that tethering is included. Also, if if we would actually go over the 3 gig the charge for going over is far less.  We could better pay $15 or $30 for one month than to pay the extraa every monthy for data we don't use.  I'm not necessarily happy about it, but USC still has the best coverage where I live, and hopefully the expanded LTE coverage will take away my frustration when I travel.  From the checking I've been doing it really wouldn't save me much to go to another provider.

It's actually about $60 cheaper each month. About $223/month currently on old Belief plan (you gotta factor in retail installments in the monthly cost), or $163/month with new devices on retail installments with 3GB shared data. The plan is only $138 if you pay the up front $299 price for subsidized.

Also what's the point of having data you literally NEVER use. I used 5GB in 4 days one month since 2010, and EVERY other month has been much less than 2GB. I used that much tethering for working at home before we had internet connected in a new house.

It's like buying two gallons of milk, drinking one, and pouring the other down the sink. Paying extra for data that you don't use, that is.

I see the merit in having some leeway, I'm glad for the 10GB cap in that one instance, but that was rare and I only did it because I knew I had extra data. Now I have 3GB, I pay less each month, and also have plenty extra in case I need it. But I don't have over six times of my average monthly use. Just double. And since I pay less monthly, it's a win/win.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, BoгИX said:

It's actually about $60 cheaper each month. About $223/month currently on old Belief plan (you gotta factor in retail installments in the monthly cost), or $163/month with new devices on retail installments with 3GB shared data. The plan is only $138 if you pay the up front $299 price for subsidized.

Also what's the point of having data you literally NEVER use. I used 5GB in 4 days one month since 2010, and EVERY other month has been much less than 2GB. I used that much tethering for working at home before we had internet connected in a new house.

It's like buying two gallons of milk, drinking one, and pouring the other down the sink. Paying extra for data that you don't use, that is.

I see the merit in having some leeway, I'm glad for the 10GB cap in that one instance, but that was rare and I only did it because I knew I had extra data. Now I have 3GB, I pay less each month, and also have plenty extra in case I need it. But I don't have over six times of my average monthly use. Just double. And since I pay less monthly, it's a win/win.

I really do agree with this.  We only have a few days left in this cycle, and we've only used about 500 meg of data.  We are on WiFi the majority of the time.  Especially dthe last five months my wife has been working from home, and she has hardly left the house.  That will change on April 1, but that isn't going change things that much.

We have each had cases where we were told we were reaching our data limit, both devices each month. There are times we are not near a wifi hot spot... Plus add in a six year old wanting to watch pbs kids while say out camping, or traveling in the car and you can use up that data pretty quick.

You all can have your new plans... They are not for everyone...

And as far as milk goes, we go through a gallon in a day and a half so we wouldn't waste any.

3 minutes ago, dBuster said:

Plus milk is definitely off topic. Moderators should keep this on topic.

My apologies for straying.

You do understand that BoгИX was using milk as an illustration?  As always, YMMV.  The only time I need to worry about kids wanting to use one of my devices is when the grandkids visit.  Personally, that's why I like devices with lots of storage space. Then I can load it up with lots of movies and TV shows and don't have to stream.

We have each had cases where we were told we were reaching our data limit, both devices each month. There are times we are not near a wifi hot spot... Plus add in a six year old wanting to watch pbs kids while say out camping, or traveling in the car and you can use up that data pretty quick.

You all can have your new plans... They are not for everyone...

And as far as milk goes, we go through a gallon in a day and a half so we wouldn't waste any.

I understand that not everybody's usage is the same. I was speaking to my usage, and my own personal justification that I feel many others may agree with.

And I was correcting some numbers that I feel may have been misinterpreted (there was a whole lot of content in that post lol!).

And I go through a gallon in about the same amount of time, a day and a half (buying a gallon every other day at least). Bogy is correct, I was using it as an analogy to illustrate my point.

Six year olds out camping should not be handed a phone to watch TV on in my opinion, either that or they should not be dragged out camping if they have to have their PBS fix that badly.