ZekTech

How to unbrick a hardbricked Galaxy SIII (SCH-R530U) with the SD card method

READ THROUGH FIRST BEFORE DOING.  MAKE SURE IT APPLIES TO YOUR SITUATION. 

THREAD WAS WRITTEN FOR PEOPLE WHO WERE ON STOCK 4.3.  ANYTHING BELOW 4.3 WILL NOT WORK WITH THESE FILES.  SAME PROCESS, JUST NEED THE RIGHT FILES YOUR STOCK TOUCHWIZ VERSION.

Works with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10.

Hey guys.  If you're an idiot like me, you might have flashed the wrong firmware for your phone and now the Galaxy SIII is as useful as a brick.  Well, you've come to the right place.  I accidentally flashed the MD4 radio on my SCH-R530U.  After countless hours of research I finally conceived a plan on how to revive the phone.

Symptoms of a Soft Brick:

Bootloops, Stuck at Galaxy SIII screen, uhh and other stuff where the display actually turns on.  If it does any of these, wrong thread.

Symptoms of a HARD BRICK (what you're probably here for):

Power does nothing, no output to display, no download mode, no recovery mode, computer recognizes it as QHUSBLOAD or something like that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's get fixing.

You'll need: 16 or 32GB CLASS 10 Non UHC-I MicroSD Card (complicity matches internal memory of the phone, although I used a 32GB SD card for a 16GB phone and it worked just fine), a hardbricked Galaxy SIII duh, a Windows PC with a SD Card reader, MicroSD to full size SD card adapter, proper files (included later), a wall charger, and time.  I'm writing this thread to try and not have people go through hours of research to get their phone back.

1. Download all the required files.

2. Make sure that the SD card is class 10, non UHC-I (I used a SanDisk Ultra 32GB card), and has no files on it.  ALL FILES ON THE SD CARD WILL BE OVERWRITTEN.

3. Unzip the Win32DiskImager program and run as administrator.  YOU MUST BE AN ADMIN ON THE PC.

4. Put the MicroSD card into the Micro to full size adapter and plug it into the PC (if you haven't already).  In the DiskImager program, click on the drop-down box under device, and select the SD card's drive letter.  Mine was F: for example.

5. Click on the folder-looking icon and point it towards the file named "SCH-R530U_CND4_debrick.img" once downloaded.  http://upload.teamuscellular.com/5Ig

6. Once you are sure that that is the drive letter click "write" and then "Yes".  The write process should only take a couple of seconds to finish.  Once finished, take out the MicroSD card from the adapter.

7. Open up the Samsung Galaxy SIII.  Take any existing MicroSD for SIM card out as well as the battery.  Put the SD card that we just formatted and insert it into the phone.  Plug the phone in using the wall charger.  The red LED should light up indicating that the phone still knows that the MicroUSB slot still exists.  If there is no red LED, then this will probably not work.

8. Reinsert the battery.  The phone may start up on it's own or you may have to hold down the power button.  My phone started on it's own.  If all goes right you should get output to the display and maybe boot into Android.  If you were like me and flashed the wrong ROM, you're gonna need to flash a new one.

9. For the people that the phone booted into Android, you MUST have the SD card in your phone or else it will become unbootable again.  Don't want to have to have the card in there 24/7?  Keep reading.

10. For both the groups of wrong ROMs and anti SD booters, you'll have to flash the stock TouchWiz firmware.  So backup your data (if there is any) and download this file: http://upload.teamuscellular.com/38m?d=1

11. This file will take people that were still running 4.3 and move them up to 4.4.2 KitKat.  People that already had 4.4, this will work too.  I was still on 4.3 because I rooted.

12. Open Odin

Download: 

13. REMOVE THE SD CARD FROM THE PHONE OR ELSE ODIN WILL WRITE THE BOOTLOADER ONTO THE SD CARD WHICH MEANS YOU'VE SUCCESSFULLY DID NOTHING YOU WANTED TO DO.

14. Press "start".  No, not the Start Button.  Start in Odin.  Yeah I'm bad at this.

15. This will take several minutes to complete.  Be patient.  Do not touch the phone just to reduce the chance of something screwing up.

16. If Odin finishes and says "PASS!" in a green box, congratulations!  You've just successfully unbricked your Samsung Galaxy SIII! (Yes you can boot without the SD card now too.  If you want to keep the SD card as a "Oh sh*t I messed up" card, feel free.  But you can use the card normally by using a free Windows program called Minitool Partition Wizard and make the card normal again by deleting all the small partitions and creating one big one.)

If this helped you, you're welcome.  If you wouldn't mind swinging by my YouTube channel and giving it a sub, it would be greatly appreciated.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6a_9cLDE_9KTBfvKGbpXxw

Twitter: realZekTech

Instagram: zek_tech

Have a great day with your SIII!

Edited by ZekTech
spelling lol

Literally just got rod of my bricked s3 last weekend. Oh well, would have been fun to try!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 (klteusc) running CM13 1.30.16 with xposed