gr33nd3vil

6.0.1 Root, Custom Recovery, & XPOSED

Thought I'd post this for those looking.  Here is a walk through WITH all FILES need for Root & TWRP, along with XPOSED for the Android 6.0.1 Update.

If you break your device I am NOT RESPONSIBLE. 

MAKE SURE DEVELOPER OPTIONS IS ON & OEM UNLOCK is CHECKED before proceeding.

Download the following files...

1.  Extract the Odin file 
  2. Reboot phone into Download Mode (Turn phone off, hold POWER+HOME BUTTON+VOL DOWN)
  3. Connect phone to computer (Make sure Samsung USB Drivers are installed)
  4. Select TWRP file and load into AP SLOT
  5. Select the OPTIONS TAB & Make sure Restart & Repartion are UNCHECKED
  6. Click start and wait for it to finish 
  7. Now Hold Vol Down+Power button and reboot phone
  8. As it reboots hold VOL UP+HOME BUTTOM+POWER BUTTON
  9. Let go as soon as you see RED text that means your entering TWRP
  10. When you enter TWRP flash SuperSU zip
  11. You can also flash XPOSED If you choose to (I use Gravity Box for tweaks for the time being, you will also need the XPOSED APK!)
  12. Then make sure to do a Wipe / Format > Advanced Wipe > WIPE CACHE / Dalvik / Art
  13. Reboot & wait 3-5 minutes and your good to go.  NO KERNEL NEEDED and NO KNOX WARNINGS.
Edited by gr33nd3vil
Updated TWRP with correct file

This will trip Knox making Samsung Pay not work.

Permanently. Forever. No getting it back ever. Also this may mark the end of warranty returns with Knox tripped, since it breaks a core functionality of Samsung devices.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

im having issues with the twrp downloading and unzipping as a DAT file. odin ap slot doesnt recognize it and there in i cant open and load it.

4 minutes ago, loco said:

im having issues with the twrp downloading and unzipping as a DAT file. odin ap slot doesnt recognize it and there in i cant open and load it.

You have to load it as a .tar file but it for some reason it isnt working even after odin says it has passed. 

Is everything working alright with this? Tried rooting on lollipop and soft bricked my phone. Pain in the ass to fix it, don't really want to go threw that again. 

So are we good or no? I'd like to give it a try also. Just got my warranty replacement, and ready to void that hoe.

Also, OP says "No Knox warnings", second post says will trip Knox? Don't think there has been way to trick Knox for some time now.

Also, OP says "No Knox warnings", second post says will trip Knox? Don't think there has been way to trick Knox for some time now.

It trips Knox and then disables the relentless notifications that Knox throw at you when it's tripped. It's not a workaround. Knox trips whenever you flash a non-stock kernel or recovery. If ROMs didn't disable the warnings they can be overwhelming.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Yes sir. I am familiar. I found a link on XDA I'm going to give a try. Seems a bit specific, and perhaps easier. Its a pre-rooted kernel "Space X". Says it works for all Note 5s except AT&T & Verizon. If it works rather flawlessly, I'll re-post it, with reference links, etc.

I think you may still need to flash SuperSU afterwards.  Looked at his scripts and they're pretty much standard.  De-Knoxing, trimming some fat here and there, and installing the kernel.  There is no SuperSU.apk file to install to the device in there, no script like the SuperSU script.  If you're rooted after just flashing the kernel I'll be amazed.  

I'd bet he meant that it was SELinux Permissive, that it was rootable.  That... that's just too weird to think of.  A kernel that roots your phone when you flash it.  Not the world I wanna live in!

I'm curious now. I looked at that kernel zip and there is no SuperSU apk anywhere to be found.

Maybe that Philz Touch build he recommended has it packaged and will install it

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

On 3/24/2016 at 3:02 PM, gr33nd3vil said:

Thought I'd post this for those looking.  Here is a walk through WITH all FILES need for Root & TWRP, along with XPOSED for the Android 6.0.1 Update.

If you break your device I am NOT RESPONSIBLE. 

MAKE SURE DEVELOPER OPTIONS IS ON & OEM UNLOCK is CHECKED before proceeding.

Download the following files...

1.  Extract the Odin file 
  2. Reboot phone into Download Mode (Turn phone off, hold POWER+HOME BUTTON+VOL DOWN)
  3. Connect phone to computer (Make sure Samsung USB Drivers are installed)
  4. Select TWRP file and load into AP SLOT
  5. Select the OPTIONS TAB & Make sure Restart & Repartion are UNCHECKED
  6. Click start and wait for it to finish 
  7. Now Hold Vol Down+Power button and reboot phone
  8. As it reboots hold VOL UP+HOME BUTTOM+POWER BUTTON
  9. Let go as soon as you see RED text that means your entering TWRP
  10. When you enter TWRP flash SuperSU zip
  11. You can also flash XPOSED If you choose to (I use Gravity Box for tweaks for the time being, you will also need the XPOSED APK!)
  12. Then make sure to do a Wipe / Format > Advanced Wipe > WIPE CACHE / Dalvik / Art
  13. Reboot & wait 3-5 minutes and your good to go.  NO KERNEL NEEDED and NO KNOX WARNINGS.

Here is the latest Wanam Xposed Arm64 SDK23 - https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=64200

I just attempted this root method because I was constantly getting the vr notification and i wanted to be able to delete system apps. Well im not sure what happened but now my phone is in boot loop. I got the recovery installed fine but when I went to install the super su zip file, it said it was currupt so it failed. I just tried to reboot it so i could figure it out later and then it has been stuck rebooting for the last 15 minutes. Please help me with what to do!

I figured that would work but I wasn't exactly sure where to find the stock firmware and I didn't want to flash the wrong one. Would it be possible if you could post a link or point me in the direction of where to find the firmware? Thanks for you help.