iR1O

Root [Solved]

24 posts in this topic

UPDATE 05/15/17

7.0 root method

http://www.android.gs/root-samsung-galaxy-s7-snapdragon-models-on-android-nougat-os/

thanks to slax!

---------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to start a thread as a placeholder for when/if root becomes available to us.

If anyone has ideas, news, theories, whatever - lemme know and I can test, but for now it seems that were kinda SOL.

EDIT

I see that in developer settings the Allow OEM Unlock is there, and you can turn it on - could that be a positive sign?

I still cant get it to show up in adb/fastboot devices - idk why.  I can control it via adb in recovery, but not in download mode, it's not seen at all.

Allow OEM Unlock is available on any 5.0+ ROM in Dev Settings, but it's not necessarily an indication of the bootloader's ability to be unlocked.  Case in point:  Moto X 2014 on Verizon/AT&T

But I'm hopeful for ya!  It seems to be a popular device, maybe there'll be a workaround or backdoor.  Don't system update!  Often times devs can find exploits by comparing the patches that Sammy pushes to the old code.

On 3/29/2016 at 10:11 AM, iRub1Out said:

I wanted to start a thread as a placeholder for when/if root becomes available to us.

If anyone has ideas, news, theories, whatever - lemme know and I can test, but for now it seems that were kinda SOL.

EDIT

I see that in developer settings the Allow OEM Unlock is there, and you can turn it on - could that be a positive sign?

I still cant get it to show up in adb/fastboot devices - idk why.  I can control it via adb in recovery, but not in download mode, it's not seen at all.

Unfortunately I do believe the OEM Unlocking is purely to disable the FRP Lock. Seeing as if you enable OEM Unlocking and boot into download mode you still see "Qualcom SecureBoot: Enabled." I know there was an exploit found, but it was in a kernel before ours. And seeing that we're getting monthly security updates now, I doubt a kernel exploit is going to be something to hope for. Of course I only mean a non-Knox tripping method. I don't have the balls to try a previously known methods that would trip Knox.

Edited by cPfeifer

I tried it, it just fails in odin and you have to reboot.

But I'm afraid you're right. Probably isn't going to happen.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I was curious about the other build versions I found on xda and gave those a run through odin on my s7. All produced a fail.

Soon.... There are posts in both the Verizon and Sprint Variants that are showing root (as of 6/13/16).. Not unlocked bootloader though and is still not ready for prime time due to bugs.... But still... 

Soon (tm)

On 6/13/2016 at 2:06 PM, Cythrawl said:

Soon.... There are posts in both the Verizon and Sprint Variants that are showing root (as of 6/13/16).. Not unlocked bootloader though and is still not ready for prime time due to bugs.... But still... 

Soon (tm)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/tmobile-s7-edge/help/world-galaxy-s7-root-t3396188

Here is a post on XDA of an S7 with right now to be believed only as a temporary root. But as it stands still a locked bootloader.

This is cool that people are working on this. I did skim almost all 17 pages and one thing I did pick up on that when root happens along with bootloader unlock it should work with all carriers and every S7 across the board.

1 hour ago, Dalmus said:

Not sure if it will work on USC variant, but supposedly it works on Sprint and Verizon, do it should.

Check out the article.

NA S7 Root...Finally!

maybe someone can try this and report?

maybe someone can try this and report?

I've thought about it. But I really don't need root at all..

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

I successfully rooted my SM-G930R4. I have been rooted for close to a week. I have Xposed installed as well with a few modules. I have debloated quite a bit with titanium backup up. The only issue is that battery suffers a bit.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I successfully rooted my SM-G930R4. I have been rooted for close to a week. I have Xposed installed as well with a few modules. I have debloated quite a bit with titanium backup up. The only issue is that battery suffers a bit.

Care to share the process you used to get root?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Also, as far as I can tell it does not trip Knox. Once rooted Samsung Pay no longer functions but will again with a full firmware restore as directed in that link.

On 7/20/2016 at 6:59 PM, BoгИX said:

Edited by vernw4

the bloat is often times not running all the time.  It's impact on battery is extremely minimal, and storage space is also very minimal.

BUT, it's there, takes up some space and annoys me with it's icons in my drawer, so, yeah I hate it.  Even if the benefit is unnoticeable 

I like no clutter. I wonder how well the battery saving patch and write up xda has makes a difference some. I still can't complain about the battery life on the s7 yet

So has anyone else rooted the s7 for our us cellular? Tried tonight but still stuck at the us cellular screen everytime

Edit: Felt kinda stupid, factory reset fixed the issue sometimes I think the problem is more complicated than it is

Edited by Bumpindude
Figured out the issue

I just went through the process on XDA and FlashFire says I did not have root. When I looked at the SuperSU settings it showed version 2.79, not 2.76 as stated in the thread and the downloaded file. I did as instructed and ignored the "supersu binary needs updated" when opening the app. Anyone else run into this?

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Is it possible to install Magisk after rooting with this method? 

6 hours ago, lucasj218 said:

Is it possible to install Magisk after rooting with this method? 

No, it is not.  Magisk is moving towards using its own phh-SuperUser and isn't completely compatible with SuperSU anymore, and will continue to lose compatibility moving forward.  Magisk is more of its own root method, not really a "root mod".  

Magisk requires a custom recovery to install.  Trying to use FlashFire will softbrick your phone until you restore a backup or fresh install your OS.  A custom recovery requires an unlocked bootloader, which isn't currently an option for the S7.  

Also, since this process inherently modifies the system partition (with a custom kernel and further system modification with the SuperSU package), it cannot pass SafetyNet (which is why Android Pay, Pokemon Go, and Super Mario Run won't work).  Since it won't pass SafetyNet BEFORE installing Magisk, Magisk cannot hide root and spoof a false SafetyNet pass.  What I'm getting at here is that if you can't use Magisk to pass SafetyNet and be able to have root and systemless symlinked modifications (like Xposed except Xposed does alter /system), then you're better off with just SU and Xposed.  There's way more mods for Xposed than for Magisk at the moment and it's much more powerful of a framework.  

Finally, the only real advantage to Magisk is being able to hide root effectively and to be able to take OTA updates.  Since hiding root is impossible, the only other benefit it would provide is not useful for your device either.  You have to be on a certain firmware version to use the root method in this thread, and you can't update via OTA because /system is modified.  

TLDR:  No, you can't use Magisk.  Which is fine, you're much better off modding with Xposed as far as the availability of good mods.  And you're literally not missing out on anything Magisk has to offer because the big 2 benefits *can't even* work on your device if you could get it to install properly -- it would be JUST LIKE like having root with Xposed and only 1/100th of the mod library.

hahaha I hope I answered your very pointed question adequately!

You did, thank you! I guess I was mostly worried about the changes with Netflix and what to do if they decided to do more than just preventing installs on rooted devices but I imagine I'll find solutions in xposed then. Thanks again!

22 minutes ago, lucasj218 said:

You did, thank you! I guess I was mostly worried about the changes with Netflix and what to do if they decided to do more than just preventing installs on rooted devices but I imagine I'll find solutions in xposed then. Thanks again!

Unfortunately, there is nothing Xposed can do about getting Netflix to show up in the Play Store on your device.  But there is good news!

You can always do the "so they blocked the app from appearing in the play store because I'm rooted" workaround - sideload the APK from APK Mirror and subscribe to the Pushbullet channel that will notify you when the app is updated.

The Netflix and root issue is checking Google's DRM-Nazi integrity checker called Widevine DRM to block individual devices from seeing it or being able to install it from the Play Store, but the app works just fine when sideloaded.  It's not like Android Pay or Super Mario Run that check SafetyNet each time it's launched.

Some people who know much more about this than I do believe there is actually a SafetyNet check happening in the Play Store, which could mean bad news in the future.  If they integrate SafetyNet checks into app launches, then Netflix will only work on devices with locked bootloaders or that are using Magisk Hide, just like Android Pay, Mario Run, Pokemon GO, etc.

Here's a link to the spot on APK Mirror where you can download the apk to install manually on your device.  Make sure you allow apps to be installed from Unknown Sources in Settings -> Security.  

If you don't use Pushbullet:  it's freakin awesome, and now is as good as any time to start!  Easily push files back and forth between your PC, any Chrome browser, phone, or tablet.  It mirrors notifications too and you can reply to most of them (e.g. if I get an SMS, it pops up a notification on my PC and I can read it, dismiss it on the phone, snooze it, or even type out a reply and send it).  It's great for sending a webpage from your PC to your phone so you can take what you're reading with you and get up from the desk (or vice versa, if you want to push it to a PC for a bigger screen/real keyboard).  And it has Channels that you can subscribe to (or make) that send you notifications when things update. 

Or you could just check APK Mirror every so often to see if it got updated.  Either way works fine.