Sign in to follow this  
SBJ1998

How long does it take for an account to cancel?

Question

ey b0ss

I recently purchased a USCC S5 for $40 that's still active on an account, but the account is suspended due to nonpayment.

How long will it take for the account to cancel and the ESN to become freed up?

Edited by SBJ1998

9 answers to this question

If the account was suspended for nonpayment, the ESN will remain blocked unless the account is paid in full.  Especially if the phone was bought through either subsidized pricing or monthly installments.  Which it almost surely had to be, since the ESN is locked.  The only way it'll be freed up is either the account being paid in full or if the phone was bought outright.  If it was bought outright, it may be tricky getting it unlinked from the delinquent account, but should be possible.

Edited by BoгИX

On 4/18/2016 at 0:19 PM, BoгИX said:

If the account was suspended for nonpayment, the ESN will remain blocked unless the account is paid in full.  Especially if the phone was bought through either subsidized pricing or monthly installments.  Which it almost surely had to be, since the ESN is locked.  The only way it'll be freed up is either the account being paid in full or if the phone was bought outright.  If it was bought outright, it may be tricky getting it unlinked from the delinquent account, but should be possible.

U.S. Cellular doesn't block phones for nonpayment, the only carrier in the US that does that is T-Mobile.

The account itself would end up being sent to a collections agency and the ESN will clear up automatically(I had this happen before with a 6 Plus, the ESN cleaned itself after a while), I just am having a hard time gauging when this will happen.

U.S. Cellular doesn't block phones for nonpayment, the only carrier in the US that does that is T-Mobile.

The account itself would end up being sent to a collections agency and the ESN will clear up automatically(I had this happen before with a 6 Plus, the ESN cleaned itself after a while), I just am having a hard time gauging when this will happen.

Would it be the same for retail installment contracts? With the account being sent to collections, but I'd be able to use my phone on USC with a different account?

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

On 4/24/2016 at 3:08 AM, cPfeifer said:

Would it be the same for retail installment contracts? With the account being sent to collections, but I'd be able to use my phone on USC with a different account?

Yea, my S5 just spontaneously became clean today so it should happen eventually.

Yea, my S5 just spontaneously became clean today so it should happen eventually.

Just to be clear, that would open it up for another USCC line but not another carrier?

On 4/28/2016 at 0:39 AM, cPfeifer said:

Just to be clear, that would open it up for another USCC line but not another carrier?

Just for USCC, unless the phone was unlocked

Just for USCC, unless the phone was unlocked

Indeed. I'd need to be unlocked which I bet they wouldn't do until I paid the balance now I understand.

If you have an S6 or S7 it's already unlocked

Oh.. Lol I have both. I was under the assumption unlocking was something they would do once you wanted off.