waverz

Question about unrooting and upgrading to 6.0

I have rooted SM-G900R4 running android 5.0. I would like to upgrade to 6.0. Can this be done without losing root? Is it possible to unroot temporary, get the OTA update, and then root again?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

You can't unroot and update - no matter what you're going to lose root and have to start over.

The jump from 5.0 to 6.0 is big, you'll have to use Odin to flash the 6.0 image, which will wipe the phone, and reroot, set it all up - the works.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I feel that anytime youre moving major updates, its just wise to fully start fresh - theres been ota updates that bork the phone and basically force you to factory reset anyway.

It really helps to avoid bugs on down the road.

Uhhg...the download links to the update are super slow. I'm probably going to change my mind about doing this before the download is finished.

On 5/9/2016 at 2:47 PM, iRub1Out said:

You can't unroot and update - no matter what you're going to lose root and have to start over.

The jump from 5.0 to 6.0 is big, you'll have to use Odin to flash the 6.0 image, which will wipe the phone, and reroot, set it all up - the works.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

where to safely get this Odin 6.0 image ? I have already updated to marshmallow, will it matter?

when I click on the link, its says it doesn't exist. 

Link works. Takes you to stock tar thread. Go to the OP in that thread and you'll find 6.0.1 marshmallow update .tar to flash in Odin.

All stock firmware is located in that thread.

no worries...the link did not work by clicking on it. But I typed into my browser and it went to the post/info. Thanks to wound tight and all you  guys for your time and help...

I've already updated to 6.0.1, thru Kies. Am I correct in that this is the file to give back my root privileges?

If I use the latest version of Odin, should the settings and tick boxes be self setting/adjusting when it recognizes my phone and the tar file?