Sign in to follow this  
ppsi

Signal/coverage has taken a dump

I recently noticed that my phone has started having poor, and often no, signal. I don't recall having such low signal strength and I am speaking about just using the phone at home and around town. It actually has started to where phone calls are a chore to carry out and people saying, "you are cutting out, I can't hear you, what did you say" blah blah blah . I checked the signal strength and it is -104db. This is not acceptable so I am wondering how I can go about finding out the source of the issue. I think if I go to my local agent I'll get some BS. Maybe not but I wanted to check here first for some information in case I do get the run around.

Thanks

Did you try dialing *228? It will upgrade your calling area for closer towers. Other than that you will get the same o same o about trees, terrain, etc ... From US Cellular. 

I'm afraid to do a *228. I'm rooted with a custom rom and have read that doing this could screw me???

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

If I wasn't married I'd quit fishing :)

phalkon is right. It will work even on a custom ROM and with root. The only time doing a *228 is a poor decision is when you are out of the home network, roaming.

But I'm not even sure it will help you. All that does is update your PRLs, which won't change anything unless your PRL version is older than ours.

I spoke with a rep from the local agent store I've always dealt with and was told my antenna may be wearing out. Initially I though this was garbage but then wondered if it is possible that a connection came loose or???

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

All physical objects degrade over time.  Everything is moving in the direction from order to entropy.  Probably not a loose connection, more likely it's just old.

I don't want to start an argument but I bought a brick many years ago and it looks and works just as well as the day I got it.?

Seriously though on a two year old phone (I know, "ancient" withing the phone enthusiasts circle) is there anything I can use or do to verify the antenna is the cause of my signal issues?

Does the "home only" or "automatic" setting in, CDMA roaming mode, have any impact when I'm not roaming?

Thanks

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

I know that was a real problem on the note 2/3 iirc, and the S3.

But idk if there's a way to check it or DIY diagnose - hopefully someone has a easy-ish method to tell without total disassembly.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Side by side comparison with an identical device would be the only way other then sending it to the manufacturer's service center

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

We are at Red Rock lake in IA this weekend. I can say that the phone signal here is horrible compared to last year. Everyone in our group is having issues. Kind of solidifying our move to VZ at the end of the year.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I PROMISE you VZW isn't better in IA. I had it, and was back with uscc within a year.

Inside buildings, vzw is utterly worthless, at red rock you SHOULD have decent coverage, but not LTE I don't think (I drive through there every weekend) but outside, they're identical - it's inside that uscc towers over vzw.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have no problem taking it apart but wouldn't know a good one from a bad

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

I believe he meant comparing the signal quality on two identical devices side by side, not necessarily taking them apart.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk