ppsi

Which new phone?

I broke my phone and was tempted to hold out for the pixel xl. But ended up buying the 6P instead because I knew it was a proven phone. The new one is being built by HTC who's been falling off the last few years. Hopefully they get back on track and do well with this phone! The power should be awesome!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, HikingMoose said:

I broke my phone and was tempted to hold out for the pixel xl. But ended up buying the 6P instead because I knew it was a proven phone. The new one is being built by HTC who's been falling off the last few years. Hopefully they get back on track and do well with this phone! The power should be awesome!

I would argue that you shouldn't worry, that much about HTC building it. Google is involved. It's not like it's HTCs phone by themselves. Google's quality control and ability to make quality phones is something I don't think I've ever doubted. 

Given the past problems and bad blood USCC has had with HTC and their defective phones and no manufacture support, I am skeptical that USCC will approve a HTC phone for use on their network. I could be wrong though since Google is involved

I dont think HTC has anyhting to do with the Pixel phone - i dont know that for sure, but with the Nexus line dead - Google might have designed/built this one from the ground up without HTC/LG/Huawei...

Nah, HTC is definitely solely manufacturing them.  But they're not the OEM like Nexus devices have been (to a degree) in the past, where Google gave guidelines and let the manufacturer do their thing (see:  Nexus 6 vs Moto X design language, or even the Huawei Nexus 6P and other new Huawei products).  HTC will be the ODM.

There will be no HTC branding of any kind, they will be Google brand Pixel devices.  HTC is merely manufacturing them, ODM style.  These phones will be built completely to Google's specifications and engineering, they're just sticking the pieces together in their factories.

It's pretty cool.  I bet they're gonna be super solid devices.  

Every single decision was designed by Google, plus they have full control over the software (more so than ever before on Nexus devices).

It's going to be like an Android iPhone as far as  hardware/software harmony.

If Google had cell phone factories they wouldn't even need HTC for this.  Maybe one day.

I also heard it will run Google OS, not "pure android" - or android at all - technically.

Google OS - i havent Google'd it - but, this could be somewhat of a "iOS" type thing for Google.  

IDK - im still on edge about it, hardware wise it doesnt seem like an upgrade.  I hate Huawei though... 

EDIT:  Google OS could be called Andromeda - sources tell me...

Andromeda isn't coming coming out until next year, and will be a replacement for ChromeOS. Instead of the current situation where ChromeOS now supports Android apps natively, Andromeda will be an Android base with some ChromeOS features, mostly multitasking-oriented. It'll be a laptop/tablet version of Android.

Since Nexuses have always been slightly different from pure AOSP with core functionality coming from the Gapps (which has always been separate from AOSP), I'm hopeful that's all that is meant by the new Pixels running a Google OS.

But if this Google OS is sandboxed like iOS, I've lost interest.

Sent from my AOSP on Flounder using Tapatalk

I concur. If it loses its open source aspect, that would be the beginning of the end - I don't see them doing that - but anything is possible.

On 9/27/2016 at 5:57 AM, phalkon30 said:

If you don't care about camera quality, the S5 is still an awesome phone with CM13 installed (and will be getting cm14). I get 2 days idle battery, or about 4 hours sot. It's the last galaxy phone to be able to use data and phone call at the same time, and is water proofish

That would be my main reason to get it, if I were looking for a new-to-me phone at the moment.    I never really realized how useful data+phone at the same time was until I couldn't use it.

"Did I get your email, Boss?  I don't know.  Let me hang up, check, and then call you back."

Lol, I don't use that feature as much anymore (decent wifi coverage), but your example is hilarious to think about

Sent from my SM-G900R4 (klteusc) running CM13 9.12.16 with xposed

I hated when they switched to one antenna. I hate they're eliminating ext storage. I hate that they're doing away with user serviceable batteries. It's like they look for the best features they offer, and then get rid of them! Haha

In the meantime, I understand it's all in the name of making money hands over fist, but still.

Anyone looking to try the new pixels when they're announced next week? I'm probably gonna wait to see some reviews first. My contract is up in 3 weeks. Should have some feedback by then hopefully. My lg g3 and my wife's have been acting up bad lately. Was gonna jump ship to Verizon but after my buddy trying Google Fi and having very good results, I think I'm going to go that route.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

I'm hoping to grab one up. Then I hope USC hooks up the Fi in my area so I can get one line of my bill. Then, as each contact expires, it'll be bye bye USC!

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

Anyone looking to try the new pixels when they're announced next week? I'm probably gonna wait to see some reviews first. My contract is up in 3 weeks. Should have some feedback by then hopefully. My lg g3 and my wife's have been acting up bad lately. Was gonna jump ship to Verizon but after my buddy trying Google Fi and having very good results, I think I'm going to go that route.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

You're from Maine aren't you? Or am I miss remembering?

I'm hoping they don't know what they are talking about, but live chat on the USC site said they are not going to activate the pixel phones on USC... That so sucks if it's true

Those idiots dont know what a Pixel is - if they do, then they dont know if uscc will allow it - the answer isn't "no" yet since we dont yet know if the phone is some stupid bas&ard GSM only model?

It would be terrible stupid of google to do that, so they likely didnt do that (even given that Fi uses uscc....so... that should tell you)

Should be fine.  Here's a screenshot of the Pixel network connectivity, from the Google Store listing

BTW:  pre-orders have begun.

pixel.JPG

Also, Verizon will be selling these in their stores.  The same exact phone as on the Google Store.  It'll be universal just like the Nexuses and Motos were.

It will for sure get activated.  But hold off if you want.  It's usually wise to wait until people have devices in hand for a bit to make a decision about whether to buy one (e.g. Note 7)

Hmm...

No 1080p60 (but it has 1080p120?) and no wireless charging... still not too happy about that.

Love the phone - love Nexus, love the google mentality on phones... but not so much those 2 seemingly stupid minimal things, but those 2 things are the only difference to me from the 6P, without them, theres no reason to upgrade.

Yeah, I'm gonna wait until people start flooding Swappa with N6Ps buying these Pixels up and snag one of those on the cheap.  They'll support DaydreamVR eventually, which is mostly what I'm interested in.  That, and my Moto XPE is being funky with charging and I think the port is going bad.