ppsi

Which new phone?

15 minutes ago, BoгИX said:

It will for sure get activated.  But hold off if you want.  It's usually wise to wait until people have devices in hand for a bit to make a decision about whether to buy one (e.g. Note 7)

Hopefully you are right.  I'll be the guinea pig I guess.  Should have it 10/20-10/23.  

And for what it's worth here is what I got back from USCC

Thanks for reaching out Matt! At this time we haven’t heard anything yet. You can definitely check back with us in the future on this if you would like. ^Anna

I'm PRETTY put off by the whole $1300 for a phone with protection...

Holy crap.  $899 base price, too.  No thanks.  I'mma have to pass, boys, I can't see how that price is justified.

1 hour ago, dBuster said:

Uscc likes to play the "it isn't tested by our engineers to work on our network and until they have it tested we can't activate it"

Just tell them it's a Nexus 6/5X/6P - their system can't tell as it's listed as "Nexus COE" - so, they dont need to know it's a pixel.

I'm debating between a new 6P and a Pixel XL. I can't justify that much money when I can get 95% of the same phone for $400-500. 

14 minutes ago, Zenzr said:

I'm debating between a new 6P and a Pixel XL. I can't justify that much money when I can get 95% of the same phone for $400-500. 

I see they pulled the 6p and 5x pages off the google store.  I'm sure some other places still have stock.  

On a side note, I will be looking to sell my 64gb graphite 6p by the end of the month. ;-) New in May.  Not a scratch or nick on it.

Here's my take on the whole thing - knowing I have a 6P.

PLUS - the prices JUST changed on the Google Store - now $649 base price, and $968 all included w/ 128GB

Pixel XL is smaller and lighter, Nexus 6P is thinner

Both have USB Type-C

Both have rear-mounted fingerprint sensors

Both have metal bodies

Both have 2560x1440, AMOLED displays

Pixel XL is 5.5-inches, Nexus 6P is 5.7-inches

Both have Corning Gorilla Glass 4 protection

Both have 12.3-megapixel rear cameras with 1.55µm pixels

Both have 8-megapixel front cameras

Pixel XL offers OIS

Pixel XL has 4GB ram, 6P has 3GB

Pixel XL is more powerful (but will we even truly notice? probably not)

Both have 3450mAh battery capacities

Both have a headphone jack

Pixel XL has 1080p120, 6P does not - but is perfectly capable, Google sh*t the bed on that.

Theyre the same GD phone with a slightly different launcher on the Pixel for now. 

I personally can't even imagine how it's worth it.  Maybe if I never had a 6P, then I'd feel entirely different, but to go from the 6P to the PXL, not a true upgrade in any aspect other than processor and OIS, which, OIS is pretty nice, the processor probably wont have any noticeable impact on user experience.

I see they pulled the 6p and 5x pages off the google store.  I'm sure some other places still have stock.  

On a side note, I will be looking to sell my 64gb graphite 6p by the end of the month. ;-) New in May.  Not a scratch or nick on it.

Feel free to Pm a price if you're looking to negotiate.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, iR1O said:

Here's my take on the whole thing - knowing I have a 6P.

PLUS - the prices JUST changed on the Google Store - now $649 base price, and $968 all included w/ 128GB

Pixel XL is smaller and lighter, Nexus 6P is thinner

Both have USB Type-C

Both have rear-mounted fingerprint sensors

Both have metal bodies

Both have 2560x1440, AMOLED displays

Pixel XL is 5.5-inches, Nexus 6P is 5.7-inches

Both have Corning Gorilla Glass 4 protection

Both have 12.3-megapixel rear cameras with 1.55µm pixels

Both have 8-megapixel front cameras

Pixel XL offers OIS

Pixel XL has 4GB ram, 6P has 3GB

Pixel XL is more powerful (but will we even truly notice? probably not)

Both have 3450mAh battery capacities

Both have a headphone jack

Pixel XL has 1080p120, 6P does not - but is perfectly capable, Google sh*t the bed on that.

Theyre the same GD phone with a slightly different launcher on the Pixel for now. 

I personally can't even imagine how it's worth it.  Maybe if I never had a 6P, then I'd feel entirely different, but to go from the 6P to the PXL, not a true upgrade in any aspect other than processor and OIS, which, OIS is pretty nice, the processor probably wont have any noticeable impact on user experience.

I agree. However I am to the point where I am tired of larger devices. I keep wanting to like them (Moto XPE, 6p) but in the end I wish I could have a 2013 moto x with awesome specs. So the Pixel is probably my only option for a phone with high end specs, fast updates,  and as small of a size as I'll likely come by now-a-days. But for those who like bigger screens, it would be a tough sell. I guess I'm willing to pay the premium just for the small size which seems so ass backwards. 

Backwards? Nah, I have to agree to an extent.

It's difficult to one-handed reach across the 6P - let alone the 6, so it should actually be a bit more comfortable.

Screen size isn't as important to me as "actually being an upgrade" to me, it's the same thing with different branding. Other than minor changes, it's just like a 6P, in every way.

Idk... Maybe the koolaid wasn't my flavor this time?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, iR1O said:

Backwards? Nah, I have to agree to an extent.

It's difficult to one-handed reach across the 6P - let alone the 6, so it should actually be a bit more comfortable.

Screen size isn't as important to me as "actually being an upgrade" to me, it's the same thing with different branding. Other than minor changes, it's just like a 6P, in every way.

Idk... Maybe the koolaid wasn't my flavor this time?

They reeled me right in with the Kool Aid this time! I still have a little sticker shock but I guess there are way more expensive hobbies. 

56 minutes ago, zoodski said:

Just pulled the trigger on a black 32 GB pixel with Fi sim card.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

Is it possible to use my us cell plan 50 weeks out of the year and then just buy a fi card to pop in while traveling or do you have to go all in? I use enough data where fi is pretty pricey. 

Yes, just north of Bangor.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

I just wanted to say that I switched my two lines over to Verizon last winter. We could only tolerate it for a month and a half, and had to switch back. We dropped more calls and, and couldn't make calls in some places where US Cellular worked ok. Might be different for you, but down here around Auburn, Turner, Durham, Topsham, etc. the reception was just too poor to tolerate.

20 minutes ago, iR1O said:

That's exactly what I do. USCC at home and Fi when I'm not.

Been doing that for a year.

Outstanding. My wife and I usually go somewhere tropical one week a year and we try to get away somewhere different with the kids in the US for a week each year. Those are usually struggles with us cellular.  Do you pay a monthly fee or is it more prepaid. I never really could figure that out. 

With Fi you can pause service, so when you're not using it, you don't pay for it, then unpause it when you're going to use it.

When I do use it, for a few days and less than a gig of data, it's like $6 or so, for a week, and a gig used is like $13 or a hair more.

Here's my current bill for example
6dcf00ea208ece6799103c6ffdfd72dc.jpg

8 minutes ago, iR1O said:

With Fi you can pause service, so when you're not using it, you don't pay for it, then unpause it when you're going to use it.

When I do use it, for a few days and less than a gig of data, it's like $6 or so, for a week, and a gig used is like $13 or a hair more.

Here's my current bill for example
6dcf00ea208ece6799103c6ffdfd72dc.jpg

Gotcha. Whether it could be activated and deactivated at any time during the cycle was the detail I could never find spelled out. Taking the kids to California in December so I'll have to get signed up. Thanks for the info! 

Edited by hilgerone
Edit: Says Fi isn't available in my area (small town Nebraska) . Tried Omaha and Lincoln zip codes and those don't work either. Weird.

11 hours ago, hilgerone said:

Gotcha. Whether it could be activated and deactivated at any time during the cycle was the detail I could never find spelled out. Taking the kids to California in December so I'll have to get signed up. Thanks for the info! 

Yup, it can be turned off and on at the push of a button. You can only pause it for 90 day stretches at a time, so youd have to unpause it for like a day somewhere in there if youre going to go longer than that - which costs like... $0.66 - and thats only once every 90 days.  Cant beat that.

Ive been using Fi for nearly a month straight, my current bill is <$26 since i'm on wifi for 99% of my day.  I've used it for weekend trips to Chi-town, KC, and MN a few times, even going down to Orlando and Seattle for a couple weeks - it's a beautiful thing when you never see that stupid roaming triangle and know your data is nearing the "worthless" stage.

The Pixels don't actually have OIS, it's software based.

I really need up pay more attention, i didn't even see these two more pages of discussion since y'all were talking Pixel specs.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

The Pixels don't actually have OIS, it's software based.

I really need up pay more attention, i didn't even see these two more pages of discussion since y'all were talking Pixel specs.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I'm still unsure. I want to finance through Verizon, buy reddit says the bootloader eont be unlockable so far....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk