xanfantasy

Hot swapping carriers

I picked up a Nexus 6p 128GB and have had it activated on my parents plan (as a Nexus 6). I am moving onto my own plan but run into a few issues depending on where I am at. I regularly go camping where USC does not have coverage but AT&T does. I am also planning a trip to Vegas where USC roams but I have read that they would shut my phone off after 400MB of data usage which I am likely to hit due to not trusting the wireless networks while I am there (DEFCON).

I am thinking of going with a Pre-Paid USC account but wondered if I could also get a pre-paid AT&T sim to switch between as needed. Is this possible or would this mess up the IMEI registration after each switch?

Yes I have done exactly what you're saying. You do not have to let us cellular know that you're switching or swapping back and forth. All you would do is take the u.s. cellular Sim out and put the AT&T SIM in and reboot the phone, and then when you want to go back just reverse The Sims again and reboot that's it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

They don't "shut off" data completely, but they do throttle it immensely.  I hit my cap this past week vacationing around central Virginia and my usage became pretty crippled, but worked for navigation (slow search times, but worked fine with reroutes and such after beginning navigation mode), emails came in on time, MMS worked as well as it ever has (which is horrible for me for some reason).  Other tasks were either extremely slow or would time out and fail.  

I believe switching SIM cards on the 6P should work seamlessly.  Power off, switch SIM, boot phone.  This may not even be necessary, but I personally would do it while powered off and then let it boot and establish the new connection.

You should check out Project Fi if you haven't.  Very affordable for low-data users (a few GBs/month).  $20 connection fee for unlimited talk/text over T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular towers, WiFi calling and texts when connected, $10/month per GB of cellular data, prepaid and prorated.  For example, if you prepay $40 and only use 1.3 GB that month, you will receive a $7 credit to your account for the next month ($20 talk/text, $10 for first GB, $3 for 0.3 GB).

I also think I read somewhere that Fi users had the benefit of a built-in VPN for public WiFi.  I'll need to re-research to verify this, but it seems very familiar.

Thanks for the answers, I couldn't figure out the right search terms to get a specific answer in part due to Project Fi. After I learned Fi was getting USCC as well, I've been checking regularly to see if I can get it but it keeps telling me that it is unavailable in my area (Western Maryland/Eastern WV). I did not know about the VPN, I will have to check into that as well if I every switch to Fi. For now, I can use a vpn though my job.

2 hours ago, BoгИX said:

They don't "shut off" data completely, but they do throttle it immensely.  I hit my cap this past week vacationing around central Virginia and my usage became pretty crippled, but worked for navigation (slow search times, but worked fine with reroutes and such after beginning navigation mode), emails came in on time, MMS worked as well as it ever has (which is horrible for me for some reason).  Other tasks were either extremely slow or would time out and fail.  

I believe switching SIM cards on the 6P should work seamlessly.  Power off, switch SIM, boot phone.  This may not even be necessary, but I personally would do it while powered off and then let it boot and establish the new connection.

You should check out Project Fi if you haven't.  Very affordable for low-data users (a few GBs/month).  $20 connection fee for unlimited talk/text over T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular towers, WiFi calling and texts when connected, $10/month per GB of cellular data, prepaid and prorated.  For example, if you prepay $40 and only use 1.3 GB that month, you will receive a $7 credit to your account for the next month ($20 talk/text, $10 for first GB, $3 for 0.3 GB).

I also think I read somewhere that Fi users had the benefit of a built-in VPN for public WiFi.  I'll need to re-research to verify this, but it seems very familiar.

The VPN is true, to a point.

I don't know exactly how Google has the list categorized, but I had it happen to me twice while on Mission Trip in Indiana last week. Two different times I got connected to a Wifi network and Google automatically connected me to a VPN to encrypt my traffic. It works really well actually, because TMO and Sprint service in that area had bad trouble trying to penetrate buildings.  Absolutely free. Anything that goes over Wifi, your own or one you get connected to, is free and does not count against your data. Calls and Texts work over wifi too which is the big selling point IMO. I have strong wifi at home and school, so I can definitely see myself switching as soon as its stable.