Sign in to follow this  
clones

Motorola update service

I started getting a Motorola update notice yesterday. Without thinking I started to install the update but began to wonder if this would mess up my root. I cancelled it but every time I rebooted it would begin to install again. I went to recovery and restored an earlier copy (knocked out xposed, for now anyway).

My main question is should I consider installing the update, I have shut off the notification for now?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

My guess is a boot loop, wait for a twrp update zip. I would check the Moto X section of XDA that is where I hang and they said there isn't a twrp zip file for it yet. Also it is only the May security update so nothing too exciting.

It's just the May security update.  If you're rooted and have TWRP installed it won't update OTA because it needs the stock recovery.  I'm not going to worry about this one.  9.7MB, and it's freakin the end of July and they're just now pushing the May security update.  It's not even 6.0.1, no new features, no bugfixes.  

Which version of Android is the XPE at? I just read that it isn't at 6.0.1 yet?

Is that a travesty?!

I thought it would be up to date?

Lenovo does things differently than Motorola apparently. The "timely updates" are a distant memory. 6.0.1 came out in December. We were on February's security patch until today. An update comes in late July and surprise! It's just the security patch from way back in May and nothing else.

I see this as yet another good reason to choose a different OEM for my next phone. I'm not sure I like where Lenovo is taking the Moto line.

I keep checking and my Moto X pure edition still says it is up to date on the Feb. release. I am in Hawaii right now (for vaca) so maybe that is the issue. I just wish there was a rhyme or reason to these roll outs.

So is the XPE on 6.0.1? I couldn't make heads or tails from that post as to whether it was our was not... Just that 6.0.1 came out in December and these are updates from February.. but are they updates to 6.0.1?

I am asking as I read it on an Android website that the XPE was not at 6.0.1

Nope, no 6.0.1 on XPE, it is only the May security patch. Less than a 10mb file.

I had trouble getting update so I pulled Sim and told the phone to look for updates and it found it, updated, replaced Sim, all is good. Weird.