bluepen61

Moto G 2015 - 3rd Gen update to Marshmallow

The OTA update for Marshmallow occurred last week and I read up as much as possible before applying the update. After updating my phone, here is my quick review.

Marshmallow (android 6.xx) is what the Moto G 2015 3rd gen was made for! Here are a couple of hints to the install.

1. Backup your pictures, documents, and data to your hard drive.
  2. If you have any apps moved to your uSD card, uninstall them. Just moving them back to the phone does not seem to work as expected.
  3. Make sure your phone battery is at 100% and apply the Marshmallow update.
  4. After the phone is updated, let it settle down for a few minutes. Do some mundane tasks, then power-off the phone.
  5. If your uSD card in not a fast card, such as a class 10 or UHS-1 or faster, go buy one and replace your existing card with it. I have a 32 Gb SanDisk UHS-1 card. You can insert it into your phone now.
  6. Power-on your phone.
  7. After the phone fully boots-up, go to Settings, Storage, and select your SD card.
  8. In the upper right-hand corner is the three, vertical dot icon, press that and select format as internal.
  9. Return your screen to Home and power off, then power it back on.
  10. After the phone has fully booted-up, you can restore your data and reinstall your apps.
  11. At some point, you may get a message asking if it is ok to move apps and data to the external memory. Respond positively if that appears.

With my phone it now automatically puts the pictures, media, and programs onto the external storage. And application updates occur automatically, no longer posting running out of memory messages. If you are a gamer, make sure you get a very fast and large uSD card.

To restore or move data to or from my phone to pc, I use on the phone, WiFi File Explorer PRO. There are probably other apps that do the same. This is just the one I use.

Once I restored my apps, those icons on my Home screens returned and are again usable.

Btw, here are the Motorola release noteshttps://motorola-mobility-en-in.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/108725

I hope you find this helpful.

Adoptable storage is just the best thing, isn't it?  

Sweet tutorial.  What does the "u" on "uSD" stand for?

edit:  oops, it's supposed to be a "μ" for micro.  My B

Edited by BoгИX

Yes, the adoptable storage is nice, especially for this phone. I suspect the phone was built with Android 6.xx and that feature in mind.

I didn't know about the " μ " character being available. Copy and paste seems to work.

It would be nice if one could partition, say a 64 Gb μSD card, into 16 and 48 Gb partitions. Then format only the 16 sized partition to internal and the 48 to data/external.

The drawback with assigning/formatting the μSD card to internal is that it is no longer available to the network when hard wiring to a Windows pc/laptop. For security reasons, it becomes encrypted as the rest of the phone and additionally protected from being seen.

Edited by bluepen61

Does the phone's internal storage show up? Because when you use adoptable storage, it essentially incorporates the SD memory into the internal memory, so it's treated as one single partition, showing as "internal storage".

I only use adoptable storage on my Shield TV, and it has network access, so I'm not sure how it works when you connect to a PC

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Yes, with Moto G 2015 3rd Gen, both are somewhat visible in Settings \Storage & USB as "Internal Storage" and "SanDisk SD card".

So when you plug it into a PC you can move files to/from the phone's internal storage, correct? 

This is the correct functionality.  Adoptable storage means the external and internal SD memory is combined into one single partition, so you can't use them separately.

No. Memory formatted to internal does not show up in Windows Explorer. I vaguely remember reading the Linux systems might be able to read/see those files. I do not have Linux box to verify this.

Although the ability to view might be a desired or expected functionality, I am not sure if that is the correct functionality within Marshmallow 6.xx. This is why I mentioned using WiFi File Explorer Pro or similar app in 6.xx.

About a week and half ago, the phone (Moto G 2015 3rd Gen) decides not to recognize the memory card (which was formatted for internal). AND after a hard reset, would not complete the setup process. I would get past a three or so prompts/screens and it would loop to "wait a sec....". Never had an android device not hard reset properly.

Still under warranty, so I sent it in for repair or replacement.Should be interesting to see what I get back.

I think I get to return the Sandisk memory card back too because it was secured by the phone. So secured, I cannot format nor partition it. In fact the phone wouldn't do it either. At least my Moto-X is back in service and purring along.

Ha, Motorola fixed it and sent it the next day, FedEx 2nd day. Should get it Monday. It will be interesting to see if it now finishes setup! Fast turn around!

Delivered the phone yesterday. Repaired! Booted it up, skipped through setup, and installed the new memory card. Formatted it to internal.

Got the phone registered with US Cellular, registered to my Goggle account, install the apps (one by one), and it works marvelously.

The memory is a faster 32 gb SandDisk UHS-1 card, Extreme Plus with a '3' in the 'U'. The phone didn't squawk about it when I installed it. The apps loaded extremely fast.

Not sure what Motorola service did, other than re-flash the OS system back to it. System ver. is 24.61.79.osprey_usc.usc.en.US usc and the build number is MCI24.107-79.

I am very happy with the warranty repair!

Now to use it and see how long it works!

Motorola service is the best!

Edited by bluepen61