Pitbull8265

Unified Android Toolkit - Root, Flash, etc

There is a program calle Unified Android Toolkit

It is a software program that has links compiled to do all of your things for you, all you have to do is read the screen

Each model is listed that it supports

It has multiple options for all devices, from rooting, to Odin Flashing back to stock

Ive been in Android Dev for years, and this is IT!!!

http://www.skipsoft.net/download/uat-v152/

I'm going to argue that almost always all in one kits are bad. Not because they root your phone. But it teaches you nothing about the process.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I agree with Zenz.

It might do mods for you, but it doesnt tell you how to do it, or how to UNDO it.

So, people can mindlessly use this, mess something up because they have no idea what theyre doing, and then scream for help because they dont know what they did to begin with...

So, cool tool, but... I feel like it would just cause idiots to ruin their expensive toys.

which is all well and good, but even for those people, there are built in ways to UNDO everything done..Noobs have to start somewhere, without having the inconveniences of having bricked devices..and it makes the learning experience less expensive...in the end, if two people have properly rooted devices with custom recoveries, who's device is better?? By your school of thought, it would be the one who learned to do it all manually?? Seems the smarter of the two got a super simplified program, and in less than 5 minutes, got the job done...lol.

I completely understand how you feel, i have been rooting for a very long time, have worked on dev teams writing roms, and have my own kernel releases in the past back when the LG G2 first came out...but this was an attempt to save a few souls and open the doors to more people....we are not the only ones worthy of this kind of fun...

No experienced dev would agree.

Knowing what you're doing instead of relying on a mindless program to do it for you gives one a handicap. Making them dependent on that program and have no real knowledge on how it's done.

Again, if people want to use it, cool, but if they do and it does something screwy, and they failed to educate themselves, there's only so much sympathy I can have for them.  Understanding how it works is more important than how quickly a kit can do it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If the toolkit malfunctions and you don't know Odin, fastboot, ADB, custom recoveries, how to boot to fastboot/download/recovery mode, the differences between a ROM/kernel/recovery/firmware, then you are screwed. I can't even help people if they don't know the lingo. Toolkits are nice and convenient when you already know your $#!+, but should never be a replacement for learning how things work.

I do not condone the use of toolkits for budding power users. Period.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

On 8/5/2016 at 7:53 PM, BoгИX said:

If the toolkit malfunctions and you don't know Odin, fastboot, ADB, custom recoveries, how to boot to fastboot/download/recovery mode, the differences between a ROM/kernel/recovery/firmware, then you are screwed. I can't even help people if they don't know the lingo. Toolkits are nice and convenient when you already know your $#!+, but should never be a replacement for learning how things work.

I do not condone the use of toolkits for budding power users. Period.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

This is exactly my opinion. If you know your stuff, and know what you're doing and want to save a few steps by all means use what you have to.

However people that go to one click root or other toolkit type programs that no nothing about what they're doing? Bad idea. 

Don't get me wrong though. I'm happy tools like this exist. But IMO it's better to teach someone along the way. That knowledge is almost always way more valuable than just using a one button program. 

ok, but the toolkit directly links you to the correct firmware to download if you screw things up, gives proper warnings on every step of the way and explains risks and the "why's", it even loads Odin and tells you how to flash... this is SOOOO many light-years ahead of "one-click root" and is honestly, above the comparison.. It was assembled by devs...so NO, not all devs would agree with you, as i do not.. Its written by Mark Skippen, a retired Senior Moderator on XDA, and currently supports over 33 devices...really, know what youre knocking down before you mislead a noob who could profit

BTW..heres a link to chase: http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=894259

14 hours ago, Pitbull8265 said:

ok, but the toolkit directly links you to the correct firmware to download if you screw things up, gives proper warnings on every step of the way and explains risks and the "why's", it even loads Odin and tells you how to flash... this is SOOOO many light-years ahead of "one-click root" and is honestly, above the comparison.. It was assembled by devs...so NO, not all devs would agree with you, as i do not.. Its written by Mark Skippen, a retired Senior Moderator on XDA, and currently supports over 33 devices...really, know what youre knocking down before you mislead a noob who could profit

BTW..heres a link to chase: http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=894259

None of us are knocking it. More so we're arguing use some common sense when you use toolkits. I use WUG's for my Nexus. But I also understand how to ADB, where to look for stock firmware (I have it downloaded already anyway) and how to flash supersu/TWRP and what not in recovery. 

Obviously a root method is easier and better than no root method, but as always with rooting use some common sense and understand what you're doing. That's all most of us are arguing. 

Edited by Zenzr

I see both sides here, honestly.  Starting out, I absolutely read everything and understood how it worked but in the end used a Toolkit with the HTC Desire (@thatoneguy, I didn't break our phones!).  While we all have opinions on how people "should" learn, let's keep in mind we all learn differently and not one person knows each little thing.  We're here to help with those things.