Sign in to follow this  
dave0812

Thoughts on the new note 7

Shutting a phone off is different from getting into encrypted data. They had hackers try because Apple stood up to the feds and said no.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

That's dumb, for the safety of the public, they should and can do exactly that. Why take the chance of some dumb a** holding out thinking their device is fine, only to go to bed and burn down an entire apartment complex because of your pride and stubbornness. Dumb, just plain dumb! I personally will be holding out for the new Nexus or LG V20. No more Sammy for this guy!

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

Just read about the grandma watching a 6 year old who was holding a Note 7 watching a video when the phone exploded and burned the boy! Or the Jeep that burned because the guy left his phone in it charging when it exploded burning the whole vehicles ! Why would you want to carry around a phone in your pocket that may or may not explode? People are just stupid taking chances like that over a friggin cell phone! I just don't understand it.

That is exactly why samsung SHOULD remotely cripple the phones permanently

So it can't charge, even plugged in, can't be powered on, literally - intentionally - hard brick the phone.  Force the users to no longer have a functioning device so they return to the store.

That way all the people who were ignorant to the recall (idfk how thats possible at this point) or for whatever reason chose not to send it back (which is inexcusably stupid, and I hope by doing that Samsung is waived of all liability in the event something happens)

I'm absolutely on the liberal side right now, nobody should have these phones and big brother should be intervening. 

2 hours ago, iRub1Out said:

That is exactly why samsung SHOULD remotely cripple the phones permanently

While I don't disagree, they can't and won't do this.  Next person that says they CAN better show me proof or court documents showing this has actually happened.  A manufacturer shutting off a phone remotely is just not fathomable.

Idk of its ever worked in the OFF situation, where the phone is to be disabled - but it's been shown countless that government agencies can access your phone even if it's off, so... I suppose it could in theory work in reverse? If it posed a "certain injury" threat - I imagine they could OTA the phones to power down until download mode was booted - most people don't know how to do that? All they would have to do is send a OTA with a command to disable the bootloader - or an incorrect kernel? There would be a lot of ways to soft brick it.

I'm sure they could - but likely wouldn't - yet I have no proof of an actual occurrence of that happening.

EDIT:
Apple sure as heck can:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=36&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=(20120828.PD.+AND+Apple.ASNM.)&OS=ISD/20120828+AND+AN/Apple&RS=(ISD/20120828+AND+AN/Apple)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Idk of its ever worked in the OFF situation, where the phone is to be disabled - but it's been shown countless that government agencies can access your phone even if it's off, so... I suppose it could in theory work in reverse? If it posed a "certain injury" threat - I imagine they could OTA the phones to power down until download mode was booted - most people don't know how to do that? All they would have to do is send a OTA with a command to disable the bootloader - or an incorrect kernel? There would be a lot of ways to soft brick it.

I'm sure they could - but likely wouldn't - yet I have no proof of an actual occurrence of that happening.

EDIT:
Apple sure as heck can:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=36&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=(20120828.PD.+AND+Apple.ASNM.)&OS=ISD/20120828+AND+AN/Apple&RS=(ISD/20120828+AND+AN/Apple)

Huh?
"Method and system for managing delivery of communications such as advertisements to mobile telephone subscribers where delivery to roaming subscribers is prevented or blocked when the subscriber is determined to be using a roaming network and revenue derived from delivery of the advertisements to a roaming subscriber is less than the cost for delivering the advertisements to the roaming subscribers."
What does ads have to do with shutting down a phone?

4 hours ago, Coolasice said:

Huh?

"Method and system for managing delivery of communications such as advertisements to mobile telephone subscribers where delivery to roaming subscribers is prevented or blocked when the subscriber is determined to be using a roaming network and revenue derived from delivery of the advertisements to a roaming subscriber is less than the cost for delivering the advertisements to the roaming subscribers."

What does ads have to do with shutting down a phone?

That patent is to disable aspects of the phone, suck as a camera, when it's in proximity to a designated AP.

For example, if there were a an event where cameras weren't allowed, they could cripple all cameras on phones that were within range of a wifi access point, not connected to it, just in range of it.

Article

http://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-patent-could-remotely-disable-protesters-phone-cameras/

That patent is to disable aspects of the phone, suck as a camera, when it's in proximity to a designated AP.

For example, if there were a an event where cameras weren't allowed, they could cripple all cameras on phones that were within range of a wifi access point, not connected to it, just in range of it.

Article

http://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-patent-could-remotely-disable-protesters-phone-cameras/

Sooo... A glorified system profile trigger?

You know with enough of this discussion why would anyone even think of a Samsung device ever again?

Just sounds like they are turning out junk with bloat...

Just read about the grandma watching a 6 year old who was holding a Note 7 watching a video when the phone exploded and burned the boy! Or the Jeep that burned because the guy left his phone in it charging when it exploded burning the whole vehicles ! Why would you want to carry around a phone in your pocket that may or may not explode? People are just stupid taking chances like that over a friggin cell phone! I just don't understand it.

Wasn't a Note 7, was a Samsung prime...I agree that the phones should be returned but there is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

On 9/19/2016 at 7:02 PM, dave0812 said:

How did your store already get new replacements

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

The guy from a USC retail store I talked to 5 days prior said that 5 days before that he heard a rumor that the replacement units would be there in 10 days. He was right, they were. Samsung knew about this problem and recall for a long time.

19 minutes ago, iR1O said:

Does it have a green battery icon (out of curiosity?)

No. I'm not 100% sure but I think the rom should be the same as the original release. It's probably just a batch of phone with a nondefective battery. If anyone has the rom number of the original, post is it here to compare with the replacement unit.