slim2none4u

(Discussion) Nougat for the Galaxy S5

115 posts in this topic

Hoping to get some aosp or cm love for the Galaxy S5.

Anyone found any good, reliable info on the development of Android 7.0 Nougat for our, or any variant of the Galaxy S5 with the Qualcomm chipset?

I ask this way because it's my understanding that ONE of the reasons we won't see it officially, is because Qualcomm decided to not update our drivers to be compatible with Nougat.

My understanding anyway.

So my next question would be...

Is there even any hope of Nougat for the S5 at all?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Well nobody thought the fingerprint scanner would EVER work, but as I'm a pessimist I would say probably not.

Qualcomm didn't make any of the decisions about anything here.

Some devices will never see 7.0 officially. And that is due to hardware.

It has nothing to do with Qualcomm.

There will be 7.0 AOSP ROMs for the S5. Just give it some time.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

The S5 us on the official device list for cm14. The current developers are working on it, but say that nougat cm is such a mess that they can't do much but make it boot.

I'm optimistic

Sent from my SM-G900R4 (klteusc) running CM13 7.21.16 official with xposed

Qualcomm didn't make any of the decisions about anything here.

Some devices will never see 7.0 officially. And that is due to hardware.

It has nothing to do with Qualcomm.

There will be 7.0 AOSP ROMs for the S5. Just give it some time.

Just a quick Google search on "Qualcomm snapdragon not updating drivers" and you'll find several pages with the info.

They did infact make the decision.

Here is a quote as my theme blacks out my options to share the site (working on it)

"Apparently, Qualcomm “will not release graphics drivers” for either the 801 or 800 CPU, so the “HTC One M8 and other devices” based on said processors “won’t get official Android 7.0.” Going deeper, it sounds like this odd “refusal” to support a pair of still very robust SoCs relates to Nougat’s Vulkan API integration, a new high-performance 3D graphics standard the SD800 and 801 are simply not compatible with."

Seems a foolish choice but as fast as new Android and hardware is released, they have to do what they decided best.

The S5 us on the official device list for cm14. The current developers are working on it, but say that nougat cm is such a mess that they can't do much but make it boot.

I'm optimistic

I to noticed it's on the list. Fingers crossed.

It's hard for me to get mad that Qualcomm won't support N officially. This device shipped with 4.4.2 if memory serves me right. I'm happy as heck we got marshmallow.

It's hard for me to get mad that Qualcomm won't support N officially. This device shipped with 4.4.2 if memory serves me right. I'm happy as heck we got marshmallow.

A very good point and I totally agree. We got more than expected really.

Didn't and still don't expect it officially. Would be nice to see CM and \ or AOSP

for this, still outstanding device.

Things are looking up!

Check this out!

Edited by slim2none4u

Can I flash a g900f rom on my g900r4?

Yes you can!
Flashed it on an extra S5 I have with s bad charger port.
ae9f045e16caa6e63b077855b8ebb976.jpg

Wow - so you don't know if it connects to US Cell or not? Please keep updating with whatever you find out!

Wow - so you don't know if it connects to US Cell or not? Please keep updating with whatever you find out!

From what I've read, there is no data/text calling yet. But progress is being made. That's what counts

Can I flash a g900f rom on my g900r4?

Not if you want cell service. That's best case. Worst case is a brick.

Sent from my AOSP on Flounder using Tapatalk

Not if you want cell service. That's best case. Worst case is a brick.

Sent from my AOSP on Flounder using Tapatalk

I flash it. No brick :-)
My question....
If we can use custom kernels from the g900f variant, how far of a stretch would it be to compile the rom from the g900f to the g900r4?
Could I flash the g900f rom and then restore my data from a nandroid and out work with cellular data?
Just spit ballin here...

My question....
If we can use custom kernels from the g900f variant, how far of a stretch would it be to compile the rom from the g900f to the g900r4?
Could I flash the g900f rom and then restore my data from a nandroid and out work with cellular data?
Just spit ballin here...

My bad, I have no idea how I missed this whole second page. I just saw your question and answered it. Don't mind me! Carry on wayward sons

5 hours ago, slim2none4u said:

My question....
Just spit ballin here...

i highly doubt that would work, What does it say in the APN area? Seems many of the ROMs use a pretty universal config with many servers. The phone you updated is just an old phone not on your plan from US Cell, right? Seems pretty hard to test connectivity that way.

Pretty awesome you gave it a shot, though!

i highly doubt that would work, What does it say in the APN area? Seems many of the ROMs use a pretty universal config with many servers. The phone you updated is just an old phone not on your plan from US Cell, right? Seems pretty hard to test connectivity that way.

Pretty awesome you gave it a shot, though!

The APN actually looks right.
And yes it is true that is not on my plan.
You can actually test connectivity though even when not on a plan by dialing *228.
If there is mobile connectivity you can still update the prl without being on a plan.

Keeping track of the klte Dev on G+
It's coming along quickly...
Fingers crossed that someone with the know how and ability will bring it to our variant..

from the front page:

Kind of Works:

• Dialer - There is a long lag when initiating and receiving calls. Once things get going all seems well. Like I said, alpha.

Not ready for me yet if it doesn't make calls well. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

10 hours ago, brianinmaine said:

from the front page:

Kind of Works:

• Dialer - There is a long lag when initiating and receiving calls. Once things get going all seems well. Like I said, alpha.

Not ready for me yet if it doesn't make calls well. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Yeah there is a lag on calls and there isn't much to this rom yet. Still very alpha. Great job for an alpha build though. if you can get passed the calling bug, its a daily driver. GPS and Bluetooth work. sms/mms and data work. No FC's as of yet. Can only get better from here folks! :)

New build up. Call bug fixed. Downloading now.

Cool deal. Gave it a try also. I used the banks gapps suggested. Turned on root. Not bad all in all. Still says "no service" in the notifications bar. I didn't try MMS, but I have Textra if needed.  I decided to go back to Tipsy for now as it has a bit more "polish", but CM14 is definitely making good progress. I'll try it again in a few weeks and I'll keep an eye on the XDA forum. Good luck!

Yeah its moving along nice...still unofficial,,, and as you said, not much "polish".

It does say "No Service" in notification bar but sms/mms work fine. No issue with Bluetooth that I noticed.

I will say that substratum works. Can use my dark theme which is nice. I'm sure CMTE will be bundled eventually.

Cant get supersu to replace the superuser used in this rom though. And DONT flash any of the supersu.zips they will break wifi.

Been testing and flashing root apps to see what works and what don't.

I'll drop my experiences here....