Lonerock

Available phones not sold by us cellular

I was wondering if anyone keeps an updated list of phones that can be used on us cellular that are not sold by us cellular.

Us cellular is the only service available in my rural area. A lot of new phones are coming out, including some quality Chinese ones. I'm not a techy and beyond knowing that they must be CDMA I  have no idea how to identify other requirements plus going through all of the available phones would take me forever. Hopefully someone who knows what their doing has already compiled a list of compatible phones.

Thanks 

Chinese ones - none, wont happen.

Basically, the only phones that can be purchased outside of USCC but still USED on USCC are:

iPhone 5S/6/6+/6S/6S+/7/7+

Nexus 6/5X/6P

Motorola XPE phones (Pure Edition)

Galaxy S6/S7

(Not sure about the Notes?  But they should work) 

That's all I know of, there's likely a couple I've forgotten, hopefully someone will add them in - but as of July 2015, most phones can be used as long as it was released after that date (phones from anywhere outside the US dont count, they arent going to work)

Nokia/Sony newer smartphones that have always been GSM only, are still GSM only, they wont work either.

Wouldn't some generation of the Motorola Moto G be on that list also?

Not sure which generations are confirmed though. Motorola seems to say the 4th gen is activate capable on USCC

I can't confirm it, but it wouldn't make sense that it wouldn't work.

As long as the model LG sells you and USCCs listed model number were the same, it should work.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Alright, gents.

I would DEMAND an explanation as to why they wouldn't do it.

They are the exact same phone, identical hardware, and passed the FCC for exactly the same bands.

There's absolutely no reason they wouldn't - but you'd probably have to tell them it was a USCC G5 just to immediately weed out the "ignorant" factor.

USCC G5 (US992)
93e30026ac2e878d79da58c67266ef03.jpg

Unlocked G5 (RS988)
fe53fd19c0d1c71b50535681c50ebf1a.jpg

Unless LGs site is BS, there's no difference and there's no way it wouldn't work.

Thanks to all you for the information. I was hoping I  would have a better selection of phones to choose from since there's a lot of nice ones on the market. For now I'll stick with my galaxy s5. I have no real complaints about it. I do a lot of hiking and the fact it's waterproof is nice plus it has good resolution. I would however like a bigger screen and more internal storage. I was hoping I  would be able to make better use of my sd card after the last 6.0 android update but samsung killed that possibility.  I have a numbef of outdoor navigation apps like Backcountry Navigator with a lot of maps that consume space but can't be transferred to the sd card. 

One thing for certain is that I  don't want a phone unless it has a removable battery.  I've already replaced the one in my S5 otherwise the phone would have been pretty useless after awhile, requiring frequent charging.  I have a galaxy tab pro 10.1 and the battery is pretty well shot but can't be replaced. Actually it could be replaced if I  had the tech skills to tear it apart and find a compatible battery. It's really a shame that the newer phones are going for style rather than useful functions such as replaceable batteries. Can't even find a wifi only tablet with a replaceable battery.

I hate the new movement of no exchangeable batteries and no SD cards as well. I always said I'd never but a phone without it. Yet, here I am with a nexus 6P. Lol. I want my next one to have it though.

Yep,I 'll hang on to my s5 until I  find a phone I  really like, which may be years from now. As soon as they stop throwing in useless crap and go with the important things like replaceable battery I 'll hold out. Plus the phones are getting way too expensive. When my girlfriend and I  bought our s5 using bonus points and oher incentives a couple of years ago (before that too was discontinued) we ended up only paying about $125 per phone. Beat that now days !

Well, you paid 125 out of pocket, but if you add up there extra 50 a month you spent each bill, you paid 1,000 for it. Lol .

My last 3 phones have all been purchased outright, and I've saved a ton of money! (Except fort the one I just dropped in water last month, that was a total loss, and sucked).

Side note, S5 is water RESISTANT, not proof. No phones that I know of are water proof. Not the same. 

Carry on, folks!

My girlfriend dropped her s5 (galaxy) in 4 ft of water during a creek crossing  and took almost 15 minutes before we realized she dropped it and finally found it in the  water. The phone survived without any problem. Close enough to waterproof for me !  We frequently use our phones gps etc when hiking during the winter in rain, snow and whatever plus the occasional drop and they've held up. I guess thats another reason I ll just hold on to my s5.

I've always paid outright for my phones and again the best deal was when my girlfriend and I  paid $125 each outright for our galaxy s5. Doesn't seem like carriers are offering much incentive for existing customers to upgrade other than installment payments  with full price. That's one reason I  was looking into other phones because of some low prices I've seen for some pretty good quality phones. Sucks that the choices are so limited  with USC but again I m stuck because of my remote location.

We switched to Verizon for about a month and a half because I thought they'd have better coverage now that they've taken over the US. Wrong. We had so many dropped calls and places we couldn't use our phones (places that Uscc would work). So I'm happy to be back and happy they allow unlocked devices.

Yup. Verizon is king here. But I know they don't have the best coverage everywhere.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

That's dumb. I didn't even notice that, I just saw a bunch of signal stuff listed and left it at that. It's weird when a manufacturer cuts their sales in half by only offering it for GSM. GSM is probably more common world wide right? But it's not in the US, one of the largest markets for cell phones.

Well, the globe is pretty scattered both in signal type (GSM/CDMA) and in which frequency they operate on.

On a global scale, GSM has a larger number of total users, and covers pretty much the entire world. China is a prime example that is most like the US, their primary cellular network is CDMA for voice, but as with all cellular companies, use GSM for LTE (or equivalent).

The big thing is that 90% of the planet uses GSM because it covers a much larger area per tower, GSM dominated the areas of the US with the largest populations, CDMA came in after that and built up - CDMA networks started dominating the less populated areas of the country...blah blah.

End of the story is this; A GSM only phone has the potential to work pretty much anywhere on the planet, including in the US as long as youre in a bigger city (think Omaha or bigger) and youll always have coverage.  Having it include CDMA hardware adds cost, FCC testing/approval, end result being a more expensive phone that only increases your potential client base by 10% at best. 

It's more economical to build a GSM phone.  The coverage is absolute sh** anywhere other than big US cities, but thats their goal - reach the most people with the lowest cost.

Screen grab of my conversation with someone from USCC on Facebook:

Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 6.27.54 PM.png

Wasn't Facebook but another chat they shoot down the Moto G as well claiming they have not tested it so they won't activate it. Funny they already have the Moto G on their network.. the 3rd gen, so what is the big deal going with the 4th gen...

What a crock. Time to start looking around since USCellular is pulling this crap with unlocked phones

I bought the Motorola X Pure Last Sept and I love it.

I went into my US Cellular and 1 person knew what I had and got excited.

It's such an underrated phone with a great price tag right now $298.00.

My opinion about the FB people is A: ignorance because they are social media people. (I doubt they worked in the stores directly with the nerding of the phones)

B: they want to mass public to think they have to acquire a phone from in the store.

I argued with a coworker yesterday who believed there was no such device as a completely unlocked phone..  you could see his doubt when I said " Yes there is, I own it"  With proud smiles on my faces.  He went on babbling about the CDMA VS GSM.  The general public seems very brainwashed.

for years and years all the mobile service providers have had to tell everyone they can't active devices on different plans.  I think it has just become a standard repeat recording.

I do see the future of handhelds going completely unlocked as the service providers are not giving much of a price break anymore.

Another thing I complain about...   Samsung phones just really aren't that great for the price.  All the bloat grammed into them makes their battery die so fast.

The samsung devices do not provide a true android experience.

Then on top of that.. The mobile providers apps are extra bloat to a phone.   

I do not have ANY of that stuff.  my battery will go an easy 12 hours with using pandora or Google play half the day.

I own a battery pack for recharging my phone and my co worker is already plugging her Samsung S5 into it 3 hours in.

I also save oodles of money by buying my device outright and walking into a shop to active.

I'' lay out my details for proof

oh. another thing I want to highlight...  I was on the motorola forums as a tester for marshmallow 6.0 on the system so I had it a couple months before anyone..I just wasn't allowed to tell anyone.  but wow..  I love nerding out.  

$400.00 Phone - made the way I want motorla.com

$80. insurance for 2 years - the deductible is insane cheap.   compare it I dare you.

I have the 10gb plan at $70

my phone on plan = $15

my moms phone is $15

I owe all my mobile savings to my dear friend who works at US Cell.  I can't afford to be a naive consumer.

*I may not have posted in the past but I've been watching this site and forum for info for a few years now and I want to thank all you guys for giving people like me a heads up on the working insight and for being awesome at your jobs and knowledge.*

Edited by KimmyBean