clanderson

Educate me on Pixel XL and USCC

So I "played" with my Note 4 a little too much and now it's close to FUBAR, so I'm looking for an upgrade. The only larger form factor phone that is even remotely appealing is the Pixel XL, but of course USCC says they will not oblige. Unfortunately there's just nothing else I'd feel good about throwing my money into. Especially that newly gutted and trendy IED abortion Samsung calls an "enthusiast" phone. I've heard about activating a Pixel over the phone by saying it's a "Nexus 6P" to avoid the red tape... so assuming that can be done, we're past the initial hurdle.

But now onto the data.

What the crap is Google Fi and how would it affect me? I got a 15" Fi in my trunk but I'm pretty sure that's different. Also, assuming I can get the Pixel XL activated, would I need to use Fi? Is there any benefit?

As usual, thanks for reading gents. I'd appreciate any help. This Note 4 needs to be in an iron lung.

Google Fi is Google's "carrier" - but instead of having their own towers it uses T-Mobile, Sprint, and USCC towers. You don't roam anywhere in the country, it works pretty much anywhere on earth, and it's $20/mo + $10/GB of data - so if you're not a heavy data user or on wifi all the time, your bill is substantially lower.

So the coverage is pretty impressive, the features are nice, but the only catch is; you have to use a Nexus or Pixel.

USCC will activate a Pixel. I'm 99.999% sure of it. Fi uses USCC, so it makes no sense that they won't, but until their internal testing says it's OK, we may have to lie to them in order to get it activated.

You don't have to use Fi. That's purely optional. You would use Fi in place of another carrier.

Side notes:
USCC reps/call centers don't know what a Pixel is, if they don't understand your question, they just say "no we won't activate it" since it's not something they're familiar with.

I love the IED reference to Samsung, that made me chuckle.

I hope I've explained Fi correctly to you, it's just like you're USCC plan, you have a sim card, you have a phone number, with Fi you can get a new number or port yours over - it essentially replaces you're mobile carrier. You don't have to use it, it's just icing on the cake if you're interested in using it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

You would use Fi if you wanted to drop USCC as a carrier. Fi is a carrier just like Verizon or ATT or Tmobile.

The whole catch is you can significantly lower you bill if you don't use a lot of data and/or have Wifi around. You can wifi call/text on Fi too so if you have no service you can still get calls and texts. You get charged $10/GB of data, but also get refunded for data you don't use. So if you pay for $40 ($20 for unlimited calls/texts and 2GB of data but only use 1.4GB of data (as an example) you will get $6 credit back on your next bill. There are no data overages either, it's just a flat $10/Gig of data. 

Edited by Zenzr

I gotcha - thanks for the info!

I think what confused me was reading iR10's(?) post in a past thread about using USCC and Fi simultaneously - my tiny brain didn't know how to make sense of that and assumed you'd need both, but that's not what was being communicated at all; I understand now.

Well shucks, I think I may just pull the trigger on this Pixel XL... whenever it's available, heh.

*raises hand* I have a question about unused data. Is there a base that you HAVE TO PAY? If you choose just one device, and 1gb of data, and only use 500mb, do they still refund you $5? Are there taxes and FCC stuff tacked on (I assume there is). Thanks boys.

Yup, $20. For talk and text.

But unused is not billed, here's my bill for Sept 10 - Oct. 10

e5cb11bcf60a227cd9aabcc854a8716c.jpg

And because I didn't use ALL of 1GB here's the breakdown

333bcf6ecbffa0e2feec59cf2615068d.jpg

Yup, $20. For talk and text.

But unused is not billed, here's my bill for Sept 10 - Oct. 10

e5cb11bcf60a227cd9aabcc854a8716c.jpg

And because I didn't use ALL of 1GB here's the breakdown

333bcf6ecbffa0e2feec59cf2615068d.jpg

OK... New question... Don't they automatically take $30 as a minimum payment? (20 for voice, 10 data?). Do they take less then 30 if you use less data? Or is it automatically 30 per mo to google?

OK... New question... Don't they automatically take $30 as a minimum payment? (20 for voice, 10 data?). Do they take less then 30 if you use less data? Or is it automatically 30 per mo to google?

The first payment has to be $30. You have to pay for at least 1gb data. After the they'll add the unused data refund before charging you what you owe the next month.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The first payment has to be $30. You have to pay for at least 1gb data. After the they'll add the unused data refund before charging you what you owe the next month.

Nice

NP dude

In my screenshot it shows my first payment on July 10 of $53, I have had a credit since then since I said I wanted 3GB - so I still have a Fi credit of >$20 and It's been 4 months.

I havent paid a single cent for service since july.

So I'm considering helping my father in law switch to FI since he has USCC right now, and through all my research, it should be a better value for him since he wants to get a new phone, and is constantly looking to pay as little as possible for everything (...haha) but needs good coverage when he's driving for work. 

He barely uses 1 GB a month: so, I was thinking FI + Nexus 5x ($30+$8.29) would put him well below even the cheapest option with USCC and getting a new phone that's an upgrade from his LG G3 right now.  I might even be able to talk him into the 6p for the extra $8 a month. 

So, TL;DR...has anyone switched from USCC to FI and noticed any discernible quality drop in coverage or speed where they normally got USCC coverage in the past?

Quality drop, no. Speed, no.

Wifi calling is a bit aggravating as it takes forever connect, so I don't use it, but other than that it's just as good as USCC ever was for me, with the added bonus of never roaming.

13 hours ago, iR1O said:

Quality drop, no. Speed, no.

Wifi calling is a bit aggravating as it takes forever connect, so I don't use it, but other than that it's just as good as USCC ever was for me, with the added bonus of never roaming.

Thanks!

Hey everyone just wanted to confirm that even though the Pixel is "not supported" officially by USCC, the phone does indeed work perfectly on the network (I have a Pixel XL running on it right now with no problems). Just call and tell them you're activating a Nexus 5X per the instructions here:

Hey everyone just wanted to confirm that even though the Pixel is "not supported" officially by USCC, the phone does indeed work perfectly on the network (I have a Pixel XL running on it right now with no problems). Just call and tell them you're activating a Nexus 5X per the instructions here:

Of course it does. They wouldn't offer a phone on Fi that works for 2/3 of the carriers. Glad yours is working well!

So my friend got a Pixel XL from Best Buy, and tried to call in and have it activated by telling them it's a 5X. They told him the system wouldn't recognize the IMEI number as 5x...they were going to push him to tech support but he got a little gun-shy given it's not actually a 5x and I'm helping him through the process.

Any recommendations/suggestions for him to get that phone up and running? Does that fact that he bought it from Best Buy make a difference (vs right from Google)?

My guess is he just talked to someone stupid in CS, and a tech would be able to get it set up, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Thanks!

They can definitely set it up.  Tell him not to be gun shy with these people!  You can bend them to your will!

He didn't accidentally buy a Verizon-branded Pixel XL at Best Buy did he?  That could be problematic, and would make sense why the IMEI won't register on USCC.  The Verizon ones are different from the Unlocked ones.

Otherwise, it will just show up for them as "Nexus COE" (customer-owned-equipment), and as long as calls/texts/data work then there is no need for them to know exactly what phone it is.

3 minutes ago, BoгИX said:

They can definitely set it up.  Tell him not to be gun shy with these people!  You can bend them to your will!

He didn't accidentally buy a Verizon-branded Pixel XL at Best Buy did he?  That could be problematic, and would make sense why the IMEI won't register on USCC.  The Verizon ones are different from the Unlocked ones.

Otherwise, it will just show up for them as "Nexus COE" (customer-owned-equipment), and as long as calls/texts/data work then there is no need for them to know exactly what phone it is.

He said it didn't have any specific Verizon branding, but did have a Verizon SIM in the device when he got it...Looking at Best Buy's listings, it states that it is a "Verizon" model, so maybe that is the issue.

I thought it was like the iPhone...where it's technically sold by Verizon with their SIM, but it's not SIM locked to Verizon and could be activated on any carrier. 

Thoughts?

There are 2 versions of each size Pixel: a Verizon-Only variant and an Everyone-Else variant. Verizon-Only will only work on Verizon.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Shoot, I could have sworn that I read the Verizon version was SIM unlocked and could be used on other carriers somewhere. 

It seems that Best Buy only has the Verizon model on their website. Not sure about in store, but it's likely the only way to get the universal model is on the Google Store.

Shoot, I could have sworn that I read the Verizon version was SIM unlocked and could be used on other carriers somewhere. 

I bet you saw the news that I saw yesterday: the Verizon model can now have an unlockable bootloader. Not a carrier unlock.

OK, and we're 100% sure the Verizon Model (which it sounds like he got) can't be activated on any other carriers (USCC specifically).

OK, and we're 100% sure the Verizon Model (which it sounds like he got) can't be activated on any other carriers (USCC specifically).

Yes. The Verizon Pixels will only work on Verizon for the foreseeable future, unless some dev finds a hack (which may not even be possible).