Sign in to follow this  
clanderson

Switching from Physical/Capacitive Keys to Soft Keys

I've been a Samsung user for years. Unfortunately their slow and steady betrayal of the enthusiast user and recent Note7 fiasco (can you say karma?) has forced me to move on. However one of my biggest concerns with moving to a different device is how much I'll miss the physical Home button. It seems to function as a constant point of reference for my finger and easy go-to for waking my device.

I know a lot of you have moved back and forth between devices like Samsung's Galaxy series which have physical/capacitive buttons and devices like the Nexus series that do not. I'm very curious to hear about your experiences moving between the two and what you like/dislike and miss/don't miss about physical/capacitive keys versus soft keys.

Edited by clanderson

It's really not as difficult a transition as you might think.  I had no issues after a couple of days.  Some phones have a double-tap-to-wake feature, which is handy, and Motos have the Active Display, which lets you see notifications and unlock the device when you pick it up or wave your hand over it.  

I'm very glad to be away from the capacitive keys.  Those annoyed me to no end.  The home button was OK, but I had mine disabled for waking the device because it would just keep turning the screen on all the time in my pocket.  

Ya know, iPhones still have a physical home button... 

;) jk