soulweeper

Wifi Now won't work on new Moto X Pure

Finally got around to activating my Moto X Pure today, and so far everything seems fine, except Wifi Now isn't working. I get a message saying:

Sorry, but Wi-Fi Now cannot run on your device. Your software version is not compatible, or your phone cannot be verified as a U.S. Cellular phone. Please visit http://www.uscellular.com/smartphones/apps/wifinow.html

It does have the latest software, it's got the sim card from U.S. Cellular, so none of that make sense, and that link is useless, so don't know why they have that.

The girl at the store had no idea, and right now, tech support doesn't either. I'd find it hard to believe that I can't use wifi now because it's an unlocked phone, or whatever.

Anyone heard of this, or have any ideas?

Thanks, in advance!

Edited by soulweeper

I guess I was of the understanding that the wifi now app is what connects to your home network, or any other network that you've previously signed onto, and that's not the case. That was what the person in the store told us, so I never thought much of it. It switches over on it's own, like any other device, so I guess it's not all that big of a deal.

Google does that for you, not the BS bloatware WiFi now. Uninstall that crap and the phone will work a lot better.

That app does nothing that the phone doesn't already do by itself.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, iR1O said:

Google does that for you, not the BS bloatware WiFi now. Uninstall that crap and the phone will work a lot better.

That app does nothing that the phone doesn't already do by itself.

Thank you. That was the conclusion I came to a while ago. I remember the guy in the store telling my wife and I that it was how you connected to your home network, and so forth, and the Moto X was out first smart phones, so I just always thought that, and never thought otherwise. I walked up the street a while ago, and when I got out of range of my router, it switched to 4G, and switched to wifi when I got back in range. My fault for not thinking that one through.

When it said it cannot be verified as a USCellular phone that is correct as it is an unlocked device and is not branded by USCellular.

Basically when you boot the phone does it say USCellular in the boot sequence? If it does it is a USCellular phone.

If I am not mistaken... I too have the xpe...

The only thing I noticed and I wish I could find how to turn it off, but when I am near a wifi spot to connect i next a notification and it comes like a notification so I look and it is just the wifi it found. Annoying when I am picking up the wife it notifies me of the hospital wifi but I am just picking her up... Keep The wifi notifications hushed...

1 minute ago, dBuster said:

When it said it cannot be verified as a USCellular phone that is correct as it is an unlocked device and is not branded by USCellular.

Basically when you boot the phone does it say USCellular in the boot sequence? If it does it is a USCellular phone.

If I am not mistaken... I too have the xpe...

The only thing I noticed and I wish I could find how to turn it off, but when I am near a wifi spot to connect i next a notification and it comes like a notification so I look and it is just the wifi it found. Annoying when I am picking up the wife it notifies me of the hospital wifi but I am just picking her up... Keep The wifi notifications hushed...

Good to know.

And yes, it does say U.S. Cellular up on the top left of the screen, briefly, after booting up.

19 minutes ago, iR1O said:

No, during boot it would say it.

I don't think it's a uscc branded phone.

No, it's not a USCC branded phone. I don't think they ever sold this phone. It was unlocked, and USCC told me it was one of the phones they could activate, before I bought it. I got the sim card from them, obviously.

Yup. That's what a lot of users are starting to do.

How it should be so they can't pack in their BS apps.

How did they bake in their bloat if it's unlocked tho? Did they download it for you?

Good to know.

And yes, it does say U.S. Cellular up on the top left of the screen, briefly, after booting up.

That is after boot I am talking about during the boot process does it have a USCellular splash screen? That is the branded one.

What you are seeing is from it connecting to the USCellular network due to the sim card if I am not mistaken...

If you want I can video my old Moto X 2014 that is a true USCellular device to show what I am talking about. The USCellular splash comes after the Motorola earth on the boot up.

2 hours ago, dBuster said:

That is after boot I am talking about during the boot process does it have a USCellular splash screen? That is the branded one.

What you are seeing is from it connecting to the USCellular network due to the sim card if I am not mistaken...

If you want I can video my old Moto X 2014 that is a true USCellular device to show what I am talking about. The USCellular splash comes after the Motorola earth on the boot up.

No it doesn't have a U.S. Cellular splash screen, so I'm sure it's not a branded one. I got it on Amazon.....when they were matching the $299 Motorola sale.