dBuster

Weather notifications not showing up

Okay anyone else running Android 6.0 that doesn't have any luck with weather apps and weather advisories not functioning?

I mean I have the same weather app on my Nexus 7 tablet running an older version of Android and I have weather advisories working just fine.

This is frustrating as I would like to be notified of weather advisories especially with being in a winter storm warning now..

Oh and I did make sure that notifications are turned on for the weather apps I have tried...

I've noticed that as well in Touchwiz and CM 6.0 based roms. *biting tongue* I've noticed my daughter gets them on her iPhone and we don't on our androids.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

My wife is on 7.1.1 and she gets them. 6P stock + root.

I wonder if it isn't a background data thing or doze?

I don't get them when she does - idk why - same phone same version... I never worried about it though. I'll see if I can play around and figure it out, too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I think it is something to do with Android 6.0.... My Moto X Pure is really sweet except for these notifications not working but they work on any device we have that isn't 6.0

Now when are we getting that next upgrade?

If it was a background data thing you would then think they would show up once you are in the app itself and they do not.

I've had 6.0 for so long I just assumed that there were no notifications for my weather app.... (Weather underground)

I've had 6.0 for so long I just assumed that there were no notifications for my weather app.... (Weather underground)

Have you tried that app on another device running something other than 6.0?

Nope... Not for a long time

Just got alert on my s5 for a winter storm... Same app s5 is 5.0.1..... Nothing on the n6 with 6.0.1

I am beginning to think it is another function Google took away from Android. It works on releases prior to 6.0 but nothing after that.

Makes me wonder if by some miracle it was brought back with nougat!? Anyone care to chime in running 7.x?

Does the app let you set the source for your weather data?  I've read that sometimes the default setting here can wonk out on 6.0 for some reason.  Try changing the source.  OpenWeatherMap has been working for some on MM.

Edit:  Just installed WU.  In Settings, make sure Severe Weather Alerts is toggled on (I know, you have probably done this already, just covering all the bases here), and also make sure you Refine the location to the same station as the device on Lollipop.  If these were already identical, try changing the Forecast Source (at the bottom of Settings) to NWS, or make it the opposite of the Lollipop device if you already used NWS.

Just an idea, give it a shot and see if it works

Edited by BoгИX

Does the app let you set the source for your weather data?  I've read that sometimes the default setting here can wonk out on 6.0 for some reason.  Try changing the source.  OpenWeatherMap has been working for some on MM.

Edit:  Just installed WU.  In Settings, make sure Severe Weather Alerts is toggled on (I know, you have probably done this already, just covering all the bases here), and also make sure you Refine the location to the same station as the device on Lollipop.  If these were already identical, try changing the Forecast Source (at the bottom of Settings) to NWS, or make it the opposite of the Lollipop device if you already used NWS.

Just an idea, give it a shot and see if it works

They both have exact same settings... I have to reset my 6p as Xposed keeps crashing it... Will see after if it still doesn't work.

Also, just to be clear, you guys are talking about notifications from weather apps, right?  You're not talking about the Emergency Broadcast system that sends Severe Alerts and Amber Alerts and stuff that is orchestrated by FEMA?  The one that went crazy a couple months ago and kept blowing up our phones with several loud test alerts?  This one is found in Settings - (Wireless and Networks) More... - Emergency Broadcasts.

Edited by BoгИX

Also, just to be clear, you guys are talking about notifications from weather apps, right?  You're not talking about the Emergency Broadcast system that sends Severe Alerts and Amber Alerts and stuff that is orchestrated by FEMA?  The one that went crazy a couple months ago and kept blowing up our phones with several loud test alerts?  This one is found in Settings - (Wireless and Networks) More... - Emergency Broadcasts.

Just notifications from weather app,. Not emergency broadcasts

I am running bellshare BeWeather Pro 1.3.16

The isn't a setting to choose the source that I can find... The isn't a forecast source...

It isn't just one weather app. I have tried several and try all react the same

It's likely doze in marshmallow that is turning off notifications when your phone goes to sleep. This is to help battery usage stopping apps from constantly waking the phone and requesting data.

Try disabling for your weather app, go to Android system settings, battery, 3 dot menu in upper right corner, battery optimization, click the download arrow for all apps, find your weather app, then tap it and select "don't optimize"

Give it a shot, this worked for some older apps I have that don't use GMS push

Sent from my SM-G900R4 (klteusc) running CM14 12.18.16

Hmm, and you're not running Greenify or naptime or any mods like that right?

I honestly don't have push turned on for any weather app, so I can't help any further. 1weather is my choice of app, and back when I had notifications on it worked, but that was kitkat days

Hmm, and you're not running Greenify or naptime or any mods like that right?

I honestly don't have push turned on for any weather app, so I can't help any further. 1weather is my choice of app, and back when I had notifications on it worked, but that was kitkat days

No Greenify or Naptime... Pretty vanilla here with what I have running. Nothing to get better battery life as it has been great enough on its own.

I am going to lean that Android coders made it so the weather alerts won't work on 6.0...

Anyone with nougat have weather advisories that actually show up?

Missed another set of advisories with this last storm yesterday. Really looking to go back to my old skool X... At least stuff works somewhat.... None of this crap there is now.

8 hours ago, dBuster said:

No Greenify or Naptime... Pretty vanilla here with what I have running. Nothing to get better battery life as it has been great enough on its own.

I am going to lean that Android coders made it so the weather alerts won't work on 6.0...

Anyone with nougat have weather advisories that actually show up?

Missed another set of advisories with this last storm yesterday. Really looking to go back to my old skool X... At least stuff works somewhat.... None of this crap there is now.

I think I found your problem. Be Weather Pro hasn't been updated in almost 4 years. It's made for Android 4.2 Jelly Bean and hasn't been updated with any of the new notification protocols.

Sent from my thingyding straight to your eyeholes using Crapatalk.

Edited by BoгИX

Check your per-app notification settings.   

Also check in Settings - Apps - BeWeather Pro and make sure all the permissions are granted.

edit:  Oops, just noticed that you said you'd checked notification settings already... my bad

Edited by BoгИX

Check your per-app notification settings.   

Also check in Settings - Apps - BeWeather Pro and make sure all the permissions are granted.

edit:  Oops, just noticed that you said you'd checked notification settings already... my bad

All permissions are granted.

I really think this is an Android 6.0 issue. Other weather apps perform the same way on 6.0... The weather advisory notifications do not show up.

Just leave it to the coders writing the Android operating system to lose functionality from one release to another.

Does anyone here reading this thread have nougat that would care to install a weather app and wait for a weather advisory to show in notifications?

I am hoping the functionality is back with nougat...

I think I found your problem. Be Weather Pro hasn't been updated in almost 4 years. It's made for Android 4.2 Jelly Bean and hasn't been updated with any of the new notification protocols.

Sent from my thingyding straight to your eyeholes using Crapatalk.

I'm thinking this is important here.

I'm thinking this is important here.

Weather underground is recently updated and has the same problem....