dBuster

Weather notifications not showing up

I'm thinking this is important here.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

As is any weather app I try! I paid for two different ones on to of trying to others and they all FAIL to show weather advisories with Android 6.0

Beweather works just fine with any flavor of Android 5.x that I have had our tried. It is once again, something with 6.0 if none of the weather apps tried will show weather advisories....

If you look at that screen shot I believe I shared a few posts back I have wxow weather app and it too doesn't show notifications and it is updated constantly.

Even the Google weather isn't showing weather advisories...

Go into Settings - Wifi, hit the three dot menu and select Advanced.

Is "Keep WiFi On During Sleep" set to Always?

If you're usually on WiFi, when your phone is sleeping it disables mobile data. When an MMS comes through it will re enable data briefly to download the message. However it blocks notifications from apps that don't use the GCM Push protocol (like Gmail, Facebook, etc). So basically when the app pushes the notification it misses your phone, since the information isn't stored somewhere waiting on you to reconnect to the Internet (it's the same concept as if you miss a call when your phone is off there is no missed call notification, whereas if you receive a text when your phone is off the text is stored somewhere to be delivered when you reconnect).

Check that setting and if it's not set to Always, set it to Always and see if they come through.

Sent from my thingyding straight to your eyeholes using Crapatalk.

Go into Settings - Wifi, hit the three dot menu and select Advanced.

Is "Keep WiFi On During Sleep" set to Always?

If you're usually on WiFi, when your phone is sleeping it disables mobile data. When an MMS comes through it will re enable data briefly to download the message. However it blocks notifications from apps that don't use the GCM Push protocol (like Gmail, Facebook, etc). So basically when the app pushes the notification it misses your phone, since the information isn't stored somewhere waiting on you to reconnect to the Internet (it's the same concept as if you miss a call when your phone is off there is no missed call notification, whereas if you receive a text when your phone is off the text is stored somewhere to be delivered when you reconnect).

Check that setting and if it's not set to Always, set it to Always and see if they come through.

Yep it was already set to always...

I am hoping it is something that will come back if I ever get nougat...

7b402f51ecd6b0a5efbcc2c3cfa3f599.jpg

I feel this is another fail like the full mute issue I had before

Wow, I'm bamboozled. I installed Weather Underground and set it to notify me about weather alerts and I'll see if it ever works for me. I have the same phone and ROM as you do. Only thing is we don't get many severe events.

Gimme the name of your town where you're monitoring and I'll add it to my app to see if it works on my end.

Wow, I'm bamboozled. I installed Weather Underground and set it to notify me about weather alerts and I'll see if it ever works for me. I have the same phone and ROM as you do. Only thing is we don't get many severe events.

Gimme the name of your town where you're monitoring and I'll add it to my app to see if it works on my end.

Kansas city has an ice storm warning right now...

My wife gets weather notifications - were in a winter weather watch, and I never got one. Neither of us uses a dedicated weather app, she gets them and I don't.

Idk why.

It doesn't bother me as I'm generally pretty aware of the weather situation, but I find it odd that I don't get them and I never turned them off or on in any way that I recall.

Kansas city has an ice storm warning right now...

Did you set Kansas city?

You are on Android 6.0??? Just want to make sure.

My wife gets weather notifications - were in a winter weather watch, and I never got one. Neither of us uses a dedicated weather app, she gets them and I don't.

Idk why.

It doesn't bother me as I'm generally pretty aware of the weather situation, but I find it odd that I don't get them and I never turned them off or on in any way that I recall.

Both of you using a stock device running Android 6.0?

If she is I would like to know what weather app so I can try it. And what device also.

I am pretty much on top of it but I like to know when there are advisories such as a winter storm being upgraded as that could mean school closings that I would have to work out care for our son and trying to be ahead of it helps. Plus if traveling I am not familiar with the area having the weather based on my location and getting those notifications helps.

Did you set Kansas city?

You are on Android 6.0??? Just want to make sure.

I've got a Moto X Pure Edition (2015) on stock 6.0. I'll set an alert for KC.

Have you seen Dark Sky? It pushes through just fine and alerts me within seconds of precipitation. It uses a geospatial analysis to observe the radar and gives down-to-the-minute updates. It pushes them automatically.

It costs $3/year for the subscription and gives you a couple weeks for free up front. It's not very good for predicting the weather past 24hrs or so, which is why I also have WU, but every time it dings my phone about incoming precipitation, stuff falls out of the sky within a minute.

15 hours ago, dBuster said:

Both of you using a stock device running Android 6.0?

If she is I would like to know what weather app so I can try it. And what device also.

I am pretty much on top of it but I like to know when there are advisories such as a winter storm being upgraded as that could mean school closings that I would have to work out care for our son and trying to be ahead of it helps. Plus if traveling I am not familiar with the area having the weather based on my location and getting those notifications helps.

Both of us on Nexus 6Ps both on rooted 7.1.1, we dont use a dedicated app for it, she gets them seemingly from the carrier or google. 

I asked her and she said they show up as notifications and if she clicks it it opens the Google card for weather.  I have hunted the settings and there's no difference between hers and mine - but again, I'm not worried about it, and I dont want them - but i think they come from the carrier (she uses USCC and I use Fi)

Both of us on Nexus 6Ps both on rooted 7.1.1, we dont use a dedicated app for it, she gets them seemingly from the carrier or google. 

I asked her and she said they show up as notifications and if she clicks it it opens the Google card for weather.  I have hunted the settings and there's no difference between hers and mine - but again, I'm not worried about it, and I dont want them - but i think they come from the carrier (she uses USCC and I use Fi)

I have the Google weather now, not on a card as I have to look for that setting but I have a shortcut to the Google weather.

Nice to know that with 7.1.1 it is back 50% of the time, or it works 50% of the time.

Think I found it.

Go to the cards (swipe far left) and hit the menu dots on the weather one, then at the bottom "everything else" and the notification settings are there.

They call them updates, and mine are off, hers are on - that HAS to be it. Makes sense now.

1a24555c4f66b661ddac8060f4570ece.jpg

Did you guys check the Cell Broadcast settings? Not sure if it's the same on 6.0 though.
Open Messenger app (SMS not Facebook)
Open the menu then Settings
Then Advanced
The Wireless Alerts
Open the menu then Settings again
5a3c999d70ef5cb57dc10d9b5040ed77.jpg
17bd3651a2f296312bedadaa9a25bf16.jpg

Did you guys check the Cell Broadcast settings? Not sure if it's the same on 6.0 though.
Open Messenger app (SMS not Facebook)
Open the menu then Settings
Then Advanced
The Wireless Alerts
Open the menu then Settings again
5a3c999d70ef5cb57dc10d9b5040ed77.jpg
17bd3651a2f296312bedadaa9a25bf16.jpg

These are not the issue but I thank you for sharing where to find them.

It is purely the weather notifications

Think I found it.

Go to the cards (swipe far left) and hit the menu dots on the weather one, then at the bottom "everything else" and the notification settings are there.

They call them updates, and mine are off, hers are on - that HAS to be it. Makes sense now.

1a24555c4f66b661ddac8060f4570ece.jpg

Mine has been turned on. I get the weather card when I swipe left from the home screen. I just don't get weather advisories... I get the weather.. the issue is the severe weather stuff.

And if for some reason they start working for the now card why don't they work for the 5 apps I have tried..

If it works for the now card could it be Google removed the ability for other apps to show severe weather advisories...

Rub, install another weather app on the wife's phone and when you have severe weather see which one works to notify you of the weather advisory...

I had a weather alert notification from Weather Underground this morning. I forgot to screenshot it, but it was just alerting me about some rain and is gonna rain all week so I'm sure I'll get another.

Are you guys allowing the persistent notification in the status bar? Just continuing brainstorming here

Okay this is the Google notification that I get but that is not a weather advisory, the first screen shot.

And I would say telling you it is going to rain is not a weather advisory. Something like the second screen shot is a weather advisory that isn't showing up...

Change your location to 54601 and see if that notification advisory shows up...

And yes the persistent thing was already checked I thought.. and mine is set

bf37b460dd2378273671664557f0b9e9.jpg

This advisory isn't wiring me either.
f6f4fde54b5d314f640eca4d8e96e3cb.jpg

We just got put into an ice storm warning and neither of us got notified.

Idk if that's "urgent" or "severe" technically but rather important IMO.

Same here is Missouri. Nothing.

Just set my Severe Weather Alerts for Weather Underground to 54601. If I get a notification I'll report here.

The advisory I got was not the persistent notification I had set to my location. It also was not a daily weather summary, it had an alert icon (exclamation mark in a red triangle) in the notification, but I'd just woken up and cleared it without thinking. Like I said, we don't get much extreme weather this time of year, so it'll be helpful to use your zip code to figure out if I can get them to work on my end.

My inquiry earlier was whether you had set a persistent notification for the weather app you want alerts from, not just whether you had one. Apps on 6.0 like having a persistent notification to be able to serve you Other ones when the device is asleep, kind of like Tasker which I see you have done so for.

Just set my Severe Weather Alerts for Weather Underground to 54601. If I get a notification I'll report here.

The advisory I got was not the persistent notification I had set to my location. It also was not a daily weather summary, it had an alert icon (exclamation mark in a red triangle) in the notification, but I'd just woken up and cleared it without thinking. Like I said, we don't get much extreme weather this time of year, so it'll be helpful to use your zip code to figure out if I can get them to work on my end.

My inquiry earlier was whether you had set a persistent notification for the weather app you want alerts from, not just whether you had one. Apps on 6.0 like having a persistent notification to be able to serve you Other ones when the device is asleep, kind of like Tasker which I see you have done so for.

Okay when you said persistent I mistook that and saw priority under the notifications for all my weather apps this I have installed and those I tried and removed.

When you say persistent I am unable to locate a setting for that in settings...

Are you taking like the persistent Google weather thing in the screen shot I provided earlier? If that be the case that is not what I am looking for.

Has anyone with a nougat based device tried to get weather advisories to be shown? I am going this is just a failure on 6.0 and it is back with 7.0+...

I believe @Nerdtality is using Nougat 7.1.1 on his Moto X 2nd Gen.  

Nerd- were you running CM 14.1 on your device with a weather app that usually sends alerts and not get an alert?  

I have mine set to where I am. So if I'm at home or in Florida, I would prefer it notify me where I am if something is up.

I have mine set to where I am. So if I'm at home or in Florida, I would prefer it notify me where I am if something is up.

I have at least one location set the same way based on my location then I have another set to my home location, and I have one for my sister's location. Big brother looking out for little sis.