brianinmaine

favorite way to backup apps?

I have Titanium and have used plenty others, but my favorite way now is to keep a directory on my SD card of apps: Solid explorer has an "applications" collection. I select all the user apps and copy them to the backup folder on my card. When I paste them to my folder, I select remember and hit the "old" version as to what one to keep, which means I have an up to date copy of all of the apks (without any data). I can keep the installed list to a minimum and use my backups whenever I want - like a photo editor rarely used.

What do you all like to do to backup stuff? It's nice to have Netflix the app, but I don't want all the videos I downloded to be backed up...

I loved using TiBu for years. Any apps like Netflix that had a huge amount of associated data I would just backup and restore the app itself and not its data.

These days on Marshmallow+ I usually just use the Play Store auto restore after I wipe. It's simple and automatic, and every time I find several apps that I didn't really need and just skipped them during the reinstall prompt after first boot.

(Disclaimer: I only use this on my tablet, which is strictly a media consumption device and does not have 1.5+ years of miscellaneous file buildup that I'd have to account for by manually scrubbing through my entire file directory)

There are also a few apps that backup your apps into an XML file where you back them up, save the file somewhere off the device, flash/wipe, reinstall the same app after setup, and it will download all the apps semi automatically from the Play Store. But there is zero advantage to this now that you can opt for the automatic backup/restore through G Play Services (any ROM 6.0+).

Sent from my thingyding straight to your eyeholes using Crapatalk.

Sounds reasonable - I don't do it that way mostly because I play around where I don't have wifi and I don't want to wait until I do. I don't mind using a bit of data, I just dont like using so much to download the apps.

Thanks!

it depends where I am. If I'm at home or work where we have strong signal I let the play store download it for me.

However I always have at least one copy of a TiBa of my apps just in case. I've found if I have a backup of stuff I generally don't need it. But when I decide I'm okay that's generally when I need a backup. 

I've had roms where the play store backup didn't work, so I guess I only trust titanium.

I did use helium on my wife's phone (which didn't have root), let's you backup to a pc

Sent from my SM-G900R4 (klteusc) running CM14 12.18.16