JohnnyK

LG V20

33 posts in this topic

Do we have any V20 users? I'm not seeing a V20 section on here. I'm thinking about this phone. Is anyone running Roms?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm currently still on a N6. Nitrogen Rom at the moment. This has been a great phone but the battery is about shot. Thought about replacing the battery but might just go with an updated phone. Not sure I want to spend all the money out right on a Pixel.

Not sure why they never created a forum for the V20. 

I've had one since November 2016. 

No concerns, holds up well.

Running the Quad audio feature does seem to hit the battery harder than I would prefer, but other than that it has remained solid in performance and features so far.

FWIW, I'm running it stock, so I can't speak to how well it responds to different roms.

Uhh... My bad!

I'll get a dedicated one up in the AM, sorry!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, iR1O said:

Uhh... My bad!

I'll get a dedicated one up in the AM, sorry!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

No worries. Took this long to notice. It will just be for like two people anyway :-) 

19 minutes ago, iR1O said:

new forum is up!

sorry i didnt notice for so long!  

Thanks, both of us appreciate it :-)

NP, glad to add it.  Hope we can get some action going on it, idk if it was a very popular choice, but I imagine they sold more than just 2.

Good luck guys!

I'm still on a N6. I've had bad experience with the Galaxies in the past. I will never be an IPhone user. I've had LG flip phones in the past and they were always great. For whatever reason I don't see much excitement for the V20. So I don't if I'm going to stick with the N6 and see whats up later in the year.

Are root and TWRP installation available for the USC version? I may be ordering one tomorrow, but it hinges upon whether or not I'll be able to root the darn thing.

UPDATE: My V20 should be arriving Monday or Tuesday. I've found many articles/directions for rooting the USC version. I'll probably play with it stock for a couple weeks while I research and build up the courage to root.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

There are new methods out there, which I posted in the development section. From what I've read, our bootloader was unlockable but LG allows unlocking now through there official website/method; avoiding all warranties of course.

One more V20 user here.

About root, our us996 is not the same as the us996 on LG's site that is bootloader unlockable. They used the same model number for 2 different phones causing a lot of confusion for us uscelluar users looking to root our phones.

Yeah, I believe I have made a horrible decision.

Yeah, I believe I have made a horrible decision.

Because of rooting this device?

Is the stock really that bad?

I've just always enjoyed the whole rooting/development experience. Started on the HTC Desire and never looked back. I know this will eventually be possible, but I'm an impatient mf'er!

Well, maybe not. Root will come eventually and I will still have removable storage andbattery, unlike I would with the S7. I have 15 days to return it, so maybe I'll fall in love with it in that time. Besides, I already have a case and everything waiting for it

I'm already past my 15 day return period. I should have done some more research into it before buying but my GalaxyS4 decided it was time to die on me and I needed a phone right away for business. I'm sure we'll be able to root... eventually. Primary reason I choose the V20 was the exSD slot and battery as I tend to keep phones longer than most people seem to. Stock on the V20 isn't that bad really I just hate not having more control over my phone.

It may be a little exaggeration but going from root to no root feels a little like going from android to ios

I'm not so sure root is a definite for this phone, y'all. Look at what happened with the G5 and the G Flex 2. The other variants had stuff, but our version got left behind. And there was no V10 on US Cellular for dev-types to have gotten familiar with and upgrade to the V20.

Sent from my thingyding straight to your eyeholes using Crapatalk.

I'm not so sure root is a definite for this phone, y'all. Look at what happened with the G5 and the G Flex 2. The other variants had stuff, but our version got left behind. And there was no V10 on US Cellular for dev-types to have gotten familiar with and upgrade to the V20.

Yeah Bornx, I feel you're right. Luckily I just found out I can take this back to my USC corporate store and by an S7 from Wal-Mart for $48 straight up, with a new 2 year contract. This phone is nice, but not having something as little as AdAway is driving me nuts! I may even go for the S7 edge for a larger screen and battery; plus the side screen use, which is similar to this phone's "extra screen", which is very useful. Also, I feel the nav bar takes away from the screen itself. The S7 will get nougat soon as well. So there's that.

Swyped from My LG V20, Using Tapatalk

Well now I see there isn't s**t for development with the S7 or edge variant either. Root and Xposed are better than nothing though.

Swyped from My LG V20, Using Tapatalk

Root on newer Samsung devices is no where near what it used to be. That's why I, personally, jumped ship with the Nexus 6, and now the 6P. To me, personally, it's worth losing Samsung features for root. 

May not be true of everyone, but I decided for me it was. 

Well, in the end I went with the S7 Edge and I am extremely happy! Now to sit down at the laptop tomorrow and get to rooting; well as much rooting as I can.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

But AOSP and CM wouldn't take advantage of that "edge" screen, to have its functionality you'd have to be on TW anyway. Kinda like the S Pen with the Notes - you lose a lot of core functionality when you stray from TW. I'm not saying it won't work on AOSP, just that it won't work the same as it does on TW. If you want that special Sammy hardware, you gotta use that special Sammy software to run it correctly.

But yeah, I agree with Zen. Both Samsung and LG are not the OEMs you want for having dev support and modding. Pickings are getting pretty slim these days on USCC, it's either Nexus, Pixel, or a 1-2 year old Moto, or a 2-3+ year old Sammy if you want to stay hip to the dev scene. We can't use the One Pluses, HTCs, or any of those other devices with solid modding communities.