ChrisAC84

Verizon Variant on USC?

17 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if the Verizon version works on US Cellular? I have a Verizon variant available for a good price, but I don't wanna get it if it won't work. Thanks in advance

Thanks. That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure. I've already checked and the IMEI is fine.

Went today to the US Cellular store to get a new sim, since the old one I had was too big. And they told me it wouldn't work on US Cellular, only iPhones would. I knew it was bulldoo-doo, but they refused to put it on the US Cellular network. Oh well

Went today to the US Cellular store to get a new sim, since the old one I had was too big. And they told me it wouldn't work on US Cellular, only iPhones would. I knew it was bulldoo-doo, but they refused to put it on the US Cellular network. Oh well

Call customer support. Tell them you need to activate a Galaxy S7 Edge. Give them the IMEI and SIM numbers. Don't mention that it's a Verizon phone.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

^^

Store employees are sometimes morons. The vast majority are there for a paycheck, not to think and keep up with 2015 FCC laws. Lol

It will work. Do what BorNX said and you'll be up and running in less than 5 minutes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'd like to know if you get this activated. There's a ton more verizon s7s on swappa. Was looking at unlocked SM-G930U but guess security updates aren't being released: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/GalaxyS/thread-id/11988/page/1. Thought I read here that Verizon pixels don't work so could see the same w/ s7?

Oops, that may have been my fault. I adamantly believed and loudly proclaimed that the VZW Pixels wouldn't work on USCC, but I was wrong.

I ended up selling it to someone else. I never got to try it personally, the friend who was going to use it was coming from an S5, so her SIM was too big to just use. They refused to do anything with it, though

On 2/20/2017 at 4:24 PM, BoгИX said:

Oops, that may have been my fault. I adamantly believed and loudly proclaimed that the VZW Pixels wouldn't work on USCC, but I was wrong.

I need to find the thread but it was a best buy pixel. I just bought a pixel xl on swappa that was originally bought at best buy, but then was replaced from google due to warranty a claim so was told it was a google version. The phone is new, so hope it works!

Ah, read thru the entire thread now, missed page 2 before: 

sounds like I should be fine. This article said the same: http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/12/13/the-definitive-google-pixel-us-carrier-compatibility-guide/

Is there an advantage to unlocking the bootloader if it's indeed a verizon variant? I've just done some odin stock rom flashes, not a rooter, and this phone's for my wife.

True.  If it's a VZW version the bootloader is not unlockable, so no root or recovery or anything like that.  If it's a Google version it can be unlocked and tinkered with.  And there's no way to know which version it is unless you bought it directly from either Google or Verizon yourself, except to try to unlock it.  They both have the exact same model number.  Pretty evil if you asked me.

Edited by BoгИX

42 minutes ago, BoгИX said:

True.  If it's a VZW version the bootloader is not unlockable, so no root or recovery or anything like that.  If it's a Google version it can be unlocked and tinkered with.  And there's no way to know which version it is unless you bought it directly from either Google or Verizon yourself, except to try to unlock it.  They both have the exact same model number.  Pretty evil if you asked me.

Depending on the security patch, you can unlock the Verizon model. 

Of course the patch needs to be REALLY old, but it is possible. 

I read there are ways to unlock them now, some are being sold on swappa that way. I don't root anyway, was just curious if it would matter. Did you see that some unlocked bootloader pixels are having issues w/ android pay? Don't use that either :) I just need phones that talk, text, play games, browse the interweb, and take good pics.

47 minutes ago, Semaj said:

I read there are ways to unlock them now, some are being sold on swappa that way. I don't root anyway, was just curious if it would matter. Did you see that some unlocked bootloader pixels are having issues w/ android pay? Don't use that either :) I just need phones that talk, text, play games, browse the interweb, and take good pics.

Because of SafteyNet (Google's "Verification" check) checks for root and also an unlocked bootloader. There are ways to get around it, but of course, that would derail this thread of the original purpose.