I've read the threads here and reddit about activating a pixel on uscc and am considering upgrading some/all of my family's 5 devices. They're old as the hills micro sim phones - S4s, S4 mini, and S3s (temp replacements from drops) and have read I can just go to the store and get new nano sims. So I went to an official uscc store and was told they can only give out activated sims, thus I'd lose data on my current phones, and that I'd have to bring the phones in anyway to activate them if they've never been on their network. Not what I was expecting so I left empty handed. I was going to call telesales and ask if I can get the sims sent, one chat rep said they're a penny, but haven't tried it. I just wanted to have the nano sims ready, and then call in to activate when I decided on new phones, is that too much to ask? Considering pixel, nexus 5x-6p, unlocked s7 (G930U), or used uscc s7. If I do get pixels, what's the best way to go about this?

I'm on a shared data plan w/ $10 connections that's working fine for us. I've been told I'd need to switch to a new $20/connection plan and pay activation fees if I upgrade thru uscc, so am going this route instead. Would consider switching to Verizon too if it made sense, but our plan cost is so much lower and been a customer forever. Thanks for the help!

Edited by Semaj
i'm dumb

Call customer service and tell them you need nano Sims to keep using their service with your new devices and they should overnight them to you. Don't give them any reason to doubt you. They are only human, which is more than can be said about the people at the stores.

Sent from my thingyding straight to your eyeholes using Crapatalk.

Call customer service and tell them you need nano Sims to keep using their service with your new devices and they should overnight them to you. Don't give them any reason to doubt you. They are only human, which is more than can be said about the people at the stores.

Sent from my thingyding straight to your eyeholes using Crapatalk.

I guess each store is different... The store I visited just gave me a sim without even activating it... No questions asked

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Called customer service, asked for new sims, transferred me to sales, retold them my story, and was told they needed the new MEIDs before they can send them out - thus I need the new phones first. They also told me to go to a store with the devices to activate. I told them I guess I'll start looking at other carriers and hung up. They called back a few minutes later and she apparently didn't know how to order just the sims, but it was possible, so they'll be here Wed. Said I could call the customer retention team when I get phone prices and they may be able to help me out, but my plan costs would go up. Wish project fi could port my area code.

If you're in central Iowa I have dozens of nanos I would just give you.

I ordered them from USCC a long time ago, I told them I get phones all the time and needed 25 of them - sent them out no charge no fuss.

I would just tell him that I plan on buying phones outright or from the Google store or apple and they don't question anything.

I'll even mail you a couple if you want. Idk if they'd be there quick enough to matter though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wow, thanks for the offer. I am still deciding on phones so there's no hurry - just the first step. If something comes up w/ the sims they sent I'll let you know. Appreciate everyone's input.

So I kinda changed course and bought a couple used S5's locally today and when I called uscc to activate was told they're now charging $40 per 3rd party phone that isn't already on my account. She activated the 2 tonight as a courtesy. Has this been a thing? Still planning on getting 2 newer ones. Guess it's not a total surprise since they charge to activate phones thru them ($25 financed/$40 discounted), but wasn't expecting this. The uscc store said there would be no charge for phones I brought in. Can't win.

They've never charged me to activate a phone on an existing line... I've had 3 since I paid to activate my S3 back in 2012.  That's some BS!

activation only applies to new service - never a new phone on an existing line.

if they charged you id raise hell because you can call uscc and do that for free.

She made it sound like it was a new policy and to expect that going forward. But I get different info from each rep I talk to so who knows. I don't want to threaten to leave every time I talk to them but it's getting that way.

They did that to me as well when I put a new phone on wife's existing line. $40 ripoff.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

On 2/20/2017 at 7:35 PM, zoodski said:

They did that to me as well when I put a new phone on wife's existing line. $40 ripoff.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Did you end up paying it? I'll be calling soon with two phones.

So, I just bought a pixel xl on swappa new resale. It was originally bought at best buy and this was a new warranty replacement sent from google. The seller said it was a google variant because it was sent from google but not sure she knows. Hopefully I can activate either on uscc - read a thread somewhere where a bb phone wasn't working. Now need to go get 1 more phone.

So the pixel xl I received was indeed a google store version - can unlock oem in dev tools. It looked brand new as did all accessories, was sent to them last month. I also bought a used uscc S7 edge off ebay that luckily was in pristine condition. Activated both last night. I mentioned my family members breaking their old phones which was true, and the rep made zero mention of any kind of activation fee. She seemed much more knowledgeable than the 3 other reps I spoke to the last couple weeks. Mobile data on the pixel worked right away but couldn't make a call or get *228 to call out, even after restart. Shut it down completely and then could make calls. I read the same somewhere about either Nexus or pixels not working w/ *228. My S7 activated perfectly.

So very happy with the "risky", expensive purchases. One of the S5's I bought off craigslist has pretty bad screen burn in but my kid doesn't mind. The seller actually emailed to ask how it went and offered to take it back. Didn't seem worth it w/ the drive and looming activation fee. Anyway, thanks for everyone's help. uscc feels like a sinking ship a little bit but this community is strong.

The rep I had two nights ago stated they are transitioning away from having to program with *228.   New phones going forward will program in the background or just need a restart.     I did not have to "program" my Pixel in anyway.   Sim, IMEI converted and everything worked.  

41 minutes ago, phalkon30 said:

I thought *228 was no longer required starting with the transition to 4g phones.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

That's what I always read as well but they've had me do it on every activation until this one.  :dunno: