dave0812

Unlimited on US Celluar

341 posts in this topic

Mbps, they always go by bits when it comes to transfer of data for some reason.

Also - further info on it:

Standard Unlimited = 4G speed (NOT LTE - limited to ~10mbps)

Plus Unlimited - LTE speed (limited to ~20mbps)

So... keep that in mind.  Youre still throttled 100% of the time either way.

Personally, I highly doubt on a day to day basis this would be a huge deal for browsing FB and twitter - but watching YT or netflix or whatever - it would suck.

Educational info for those interested:

Mbps = megabits per seconds

MBps = megabytes per second

There are 8 bits in 1 byte

8Mbps = 1MBps (approx)

SO - the standard unlimited can only stream fast enough to play 480p streams - the Plus plan can stream 720p (but is still permanently throttled to that artificial speed (that they wont disclose))  

OK - talked to my store - NO CONTRACT at all unless you get a new phone.

if you already have a plan and change it - NO new contract - or COE - NO contract.

I highly doubt there would be a no contract change.... Just my 2c...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have first hand info - and I saw the plan docs - they do plainly say there's no contract at all if you arent getting a new phone.  

OK - talked to my store - NO CONTRACT at all unless you get a new phone.

if you already have a plan and change it - NO new contract - or COE - NO contract.

HOWEVER - the "standard definition" plan = 5-6mbps down (capped) - so your data is slowed down - the "high definition" plan ($20 more per line) is 8-15mbps capped - you dont get full unrestricted speed access on either one. It's always throttled regardless of usage.

So my question is: the shared data plans most of us are on now, are they considered "standard definition" or "high defintion". Sorry for any ignorance in this question, but this is the first time I have heard of these different data definitions.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

So my question is: the shared data plans most of us are on now, are they considered "standard definition" or "high defintion". Sorry for any ignorance in this question, but this is the first time I have heard of these different data definitions.

Depends on the bandwidth on any given tower you're connected to. The way I read the new plans, even if you're capable of 25mbps the system software will limit your speed depending on pay level..... All the time.

They're not throttled in any way. They're whatever they are without artificial caps.

So current plans aren't throttled other than the tower having X bandwidth and X is free you get whatever it can deliver at that time.

In this instance on the new unlimited plans you would be capped to a certain amount regardless of the congestion of Any Given Tower.

4 hours ago, Kimber45 said:

Just checked, it's late, and I was pulling 35mbps. Sounds like with new plans, I could NEVER get that speed. Once again, these new plans are more expensive & worse service than what I have now. 

12 hours ago, iR1O said:

I have first hand info - and I saw the plan docs - they do plainly say there's no contract at all if you arent getting a new phone.  

no etf for smartphones or basic phones.. but for tablets and hotspots there is.  

"Things We Want You To Know

Taxes and charges such as USF and RCRF apply.

Auto Pay/Paperless Billing required. Unlimited data plans will stream at standard definition speeds and will automatically shift to 2G when each line reaches 22GB. 2GB and 6GB data plans will stream at high definition speeds and will automatically shift to 2G when each line reaches the plans high-speed allotment.

Total Plan and Retail Installment Contract for Smartphone and basic phone purchases or Customer Service Agreement with a 2-yr. initial term (subject to a pro-rated $150 early termination fee for modems and hotspot devices and a $350 early termination fee for Tablets) required. Credit approval also required. A Regulatory Cost Recovery Fee (currently $2.02) applies; this is not a tax or gvmt. required charge. Additional charges, taxes, terms, conditions and coverage areas may apply and vary by plan, service and phone. Offers valid at participating locations only and cannot be combined. Kansas Customers: In areas in which U.S. Cellular receives support from the Federal Universal Service Fund, all reasonable requests for service must be met. Unresolved questions concerning services availability can be directed to the Kansas Corporation Commission Office of Public Affairs and Consumer Protection at 1-800-662-0027. Limited time offer. Trademarks and trade names are the property of their respective owners. See uscellular.com or Associate for details. ©2017 U.S. Cellular"

Just spoke with customer service and you can mix and match the lines . If two people wanted unlimited and 3 just needed 2gb it will cost less. Perfect for my family where my in-laws and mother are on our plan. They use less than 1gb a month

Well, my family (not me, but my parents) are switching to unlimited from a shared 10G plan - I'll so 5 speed tests BEFORE the switch to get an average, then I'll do 5 more AFTER the switch to the "standard" unlimited plan.

We shall see just what kind of noose these things put on users.  I should have that all done by noon today.

Ok ladies and gents - got my fam switched to the STANDARD unlimited - which, may/may not be permanently throttled to low quality speeds.

Here's the results - It actually surprised me:

BEFORE the switch to unlimited (shared 10GB plan)

before.png

before (2).png

before (3).png

before (4).png

AFTER switching to unlimited "standard definition" plan:

after (4).png

after.png

after (2).png

after (3).png

Results (as far as I can tell) - the "standard" unlimited had the exact same speeds as the plan where there was no "definition" applied to it and was (afaik) unthrottled entirely.

So... idk. The "Plus" plan costs $20/line more and i havent yet tested a device to see if it gets faster than that?  I have a hard time believing it would be faster than a plan where it wasnt even part of the unlimited deal, even my Fi phone on uscc was getting the same speeds.  

I'll let you guys decide.  I see no definitive difference.  

Ok ladies and gents - got my fam switched to the STANDARD unlimited - which, may/may not be permanently throttled to low quality speeds.

Here's the results - It actually surprised me:

BEFORE the switch to unlimited (shared 10GB plan)

before.png

before (2).png

before (3).png

before (4).png

AFTER switching to unlimited "standard definition" plan:

after (4).png

after.png

after (2).png

after (3).png

Results (as far as I can tell) - the "standard" unlimited had the exact same speeds as the plan where there was no "definition" applied to it and was (afaik) unthrottled entirely.

So... idk. The "Plus" plan costs $20/line more and i havent yet tested a device to see if it gets faster than that?  I have a hard time believing it would be faster than a plan where it wasnt even part of the unlimited deal, even my Fi phone on uscc was getting the same speeds.  

I'll let you guys decide.  I see no definitive difference.  

I believe it only throttles the streaming and limits it to non HD video. Try doing a high def YouTube stream and see if you can get 1080p.

I believe it only throttles the streaming and limits it to non HD video. Try doing a high def YouTube stream and see if you can get 1080p.

That's my understanding on how T-Mobile did it

I just tested it and it let me choose the quality.  It defaulted to 144p, but i chose 1080p and it played just fine, no lag or buffering.  

idk, seems to work just fine at 1080p on YT.

Maybe it would be a more dramatic difference on Netflix or the like?  Or maybe the default 144p is what people likely wont change (or know how to change) - but imo, 480p/720p/1080p arent going to look THAT different on a 5" screen.

I mean, to a younger person, like me or you guys, we would likely be able to tell 720 from 1080, but my 60 year old folks cant/wont and 144p is just horrible so it was very noticeable.   

Can someone please clarify with a USCC rep about this throttling?  Everything I've read and also the general trend in the industry is to throttle ONLY video streaming.  Regular downloads and bandwidth apply for anything that is NOT streaming.  This is how I'd expect it to be, but then again we're talking about US Cellular here.  Their complete and utter lack of details about these new plans makes me wonder what the catch is.

I tried and they straight up dodged the question - the store manager (known him for years) said that they kinda sidestepped him when he asked exactly that.

I just went back into store and they couldn't even quote me a price for sure? Unclear as how much it will be. 3 unlimited and 3 at 2gb was $210 when I called customer service.

I just went back into store and they couldn't even quote me a price for sure? Unclear as how much it will be. 3 unlimited and 3 at 2gb was $210 when I called customer service.

70+55+45 for 3 unlimited lines.. +20+20+20 for 3 2gb lines =230... -10 for paperless... Grand total of $220... I would estimate,. Use the website on a PC, you can price it out there also

31 minutes ago, dave0812 said:

3 unlimited = 70 + 55 + 45 = 170

3 2gb = 20 + 20 + 20 = 60

= 230

And there's a $10 discount for paperless billing / autopay, so it should be:

$220

plus fees (but tell me again about how there are no hidden fees on these new plans?), which I estimate:

$4.20 for E911 and T.R.S.  (this one is NC only, so YMMV)

$10.27 for Federal USF (it's 4.67% of your service charge, $220)

$12.12 for regulatory cost recovery fee ($2.02 per line) ---------this is some BS.  We have to pay extra because USCC loses money from people who can't or won't pay?!?

= $26.59 fees

So the grand total for the plan (if you're in NC) should be:

$246.59 per month.  

Edited by BoгИX

There's a discount right now, the first 4 lines are $40 each instead of the 70/55/45 that it will be after the promo is over.

so 3 unlimited would be 40 + 40 + 40 = 120

3x 2GB 20 + 20 + 20 = 60

$180 for 6 lines.  Plus tax/fees

(using BornX's fees) 26.59

Total 206.59

IF theyll let you use that plan... idk - it would be worth asking since you have 6? I would push for it.

My family has 5 lines, all unlimited, 3 with device payments, and device protection, after everything it was $290.75 

Breakdown was just that - lines 1-4 were $40, and line 5 was also $40, +fees, -$10 auto pay

It would actually be $50 each for the 3 unlimited lines, you'd have to get a 4th unlimited line to get $40 each.  $40 for 4+ lines, $50 for 3 lines, $55 for 2 lines.  Also there's a disclaimer -  

***Get this special introductory pricing when you choose Unlimited for EVERY LINE and enroll in Auto Pay & Paperless Billing.***

Emphasis added.  

So best case scenario it would be $50 x 3 for the three unlimiteds, unless the "EVERY LINE must be Unlimited" part nullifies that when adding the 2GB lines.  Also, it seems the $10 discount for autopay / paperless can NOT be applied to these $40/$50/$55 promo prices.

This makes me think that you can't mix and match since the autopay/paperless is built in like that but it IS applied to the regular pricing.

So 3 unlimiteds @$50 and 3 2GBs @$20:

$150 + $60 + $26.59 = $236.59

And if the $10 autopay/paperless discount applies, it's $226.59

But that's only if the catch isn't that ALL LINES have to be unlimited.  If they do, then my original quote would stand.  And if that's the case, then just make all of them unlimited:

$40 x 6 = $240

~$26 for fees (rounding)

=$266.  Might as well do that, IMO.  Twenty extra dollars for unlimited on EVERY line.

Another option could be to make one of the 2GB lines unlimited (if my assumption about EVERY LINE having to be unlimited in order to get the promo pricing is incorrect):

$40 x 4 = 160

$20 x 2 = 40

$9.34 FUSF

$16.32 other fees

= $224.68

and then maybe a $10 discount??? but don't hold your breath... 

= $214.68

That's the one I'd try to do.  But again, it all depends on whether you can mix and match Unlimited plans with the 2 and 6GB data buckets and still get the promo pricing for unlimited.  Otherwise the price will be the original quote I proposed, or spend $20 extra per month and make them all unlimited.

Edited by BoгИX

^^  The man with the plan - that's actually way better thought out than what the store would likely have done for ya.  (imo)

Kudos BorNX, that is seriously an amazing post.  

Thanks.  It just got better!

Clicking on the little "i" on the promotional pricing, I found this:

"4 lines Unlimited Plan for $40/line: $160/mo = $210 plan fees less $40 Unlimited Plan Promotional discount and $10 Auto Pay & Paperless Billing enrollment discount."

This means that you're simply getting 4 lines at the regular prices:

$70 + 55 + 45 + 40 =  $210

$210 minus the "$40 Unlimited Plan Promotional discount" is $170, minus $10 autopay is $160.  That's how they get "$40 per line".

4 or more Unlimited lines gives you a $40 discount off regular pricing.  Then autopay gives you $10 more.  

For 3 lines @ $50 you only get a $10 promo discount and then the $10 autopay discount:

$70 + 55 + 45 = $170, minus $20 = $150, or $50/line.

For 2 lines @ $55 you only get a $5 promo discount and then the $10 autopay discount:

$70 + $55 = $125, minus $15 = $110, or $55/line.

So it may be possible to mix and match here.  Look at it this way:

3 unlimited, 3 x 2gb:

$70 + 55 + 45 + 20 + 20 + 20 = $230

minus "3 lines promo discount" from above, or $10 off = $220

minus autopay discount = $210

plus fees $25ish =

$235

4 unlimited, 2 x 2gb:

$70 + 55 + 45 + 40 + 20 + 20 = $250

minus "4 or more lines promo discount" from above, or $40 off = $210

minus autopay discount = $200

plus fees (25ish) = 

$225

6 unlimited:

$70 + 55 + 45 + 40 + 40 + 40 = $290

minus "4 or more lines promo discount" from above, or $40 off = $250

minus autopay discount = $240

plus fees (25ish) = 

$265

So it's actually cheaper to get 4 unlimiteds and 2 x 2GB lines, by $10.  That's because it's only $20 more to upgrade your 4th line to Unlimted from 2GB, and you get an extra $30 promotional discount.  

And it's only $10 extra for each line if you wanted to upgrade them to Unlimited, as 6 unlimited lines is only $30 more than 3 unlimited and 3 x 2GB would be.  

Funny:  6 unlimited lines is the same price as 3 unlimiteds and 3 x 6GB.  

Edited by BoгИX

Just put unlimited on 2 of our 3 lines and the bill went down about $60. Pretty cool.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk