Zazabichi

Please help to defend my rights! (Samsung Galaxy Note 7 refund problem)

Dear geeks,

I'm Zaza Asatiani from Georgia (Country). Let me kindly ask you for help to defend my consumer rights.

On September 29 I have purchased Samsung Galaxy Note 7 (SM-N930R4) on Ebay from the private seller. The phone had clean ESN, Box and all accessories. The seller indicated in product description that he purchased phone from US Cellular. once it was recalled and then returned to the owner with an upgraded battery. That’s why I decided it was safe to buy.
When I turned it on for the first time it was almost brand new Galaxy Note 7 with fully functional Knox and Samsung account. (I have had every Galaxy Note from the launch of first one and I have an ambition not to be fooled by Chinese fakers). After several days I got a notification regarding software update. I have updated the phone software and from then on I'm getting annoying notification pop up warning - to return the phone. It was popping up every time I connected phone to the charger. Couple of months ago I got another software update which limited phone charge to 60%. I seriously doubt that fake phone shouldn't be able to get such an updates from Samsung's server. 
Right now the phone is in the country of Georgia. I have contacted US Cellular and Samsung US support team several times to help me find a way to refund the phone but it seems they have no guidelines what to do and asked me to contact Samsung’s local office. Even Samsung Local Georgian office refused to refund the phone. They say the IMEI in “About the phone” and on the back panel aren’t the same and it’s a fake.
I doubt that during the battery replacement Samsung replaced the battery together with back panel and this is the cause of this problem.

Model: SM-N930R4 IMEI: 351954081071436 FCC ID: A3LSMN930U
Second IMEI: 089085236001077571

Do you have any idea what do do?

Best Regards,

Zaza

I mean, I wish you all the best, but I don't know that there's much I can think of for you to try. You bought a local regional US phone and are using it internationally. I really doubt that Samsung, or even US Cellular, are going to honor any "warranty" on said phone because you bought a regional US phone, not international. I really doubt anything is going to come from it. I obviously feel bad for you because it sucks to lose money, but since a regional phone was taken internationally I doubt you're going to get much luck past asking Samsung/US Cellular nicely and hoping you get a rep on a good day. 

Didn't they recall all the Note 7s, even the ones that had gotten battery replacements? It'll be extra impossible to get any customer service on a US regional phone that was supposed to be returned and is not even on the market.

Sent from my thingyding straight to your eyeholes using Crapatalk.

1 minute ago, BoгИX said:

Didn't they recall all the Note 7s, even the ones that had gotten battery replacements? It'll be extra impossible to get any customer service on a US regional phone that was supposed to be returned and is not even on the market.

Sent from my thingyding straight to your eyeholes using Crapatalk.

I think that's what he's trying to do, but even though his intentions might be pure, it's been so long since the phone was recalled I doubt anything is going to happen. Yet again, one of the downsides of buying both a used phone, but a used phone that was not meant to be used internationally. 

The Samsung website says for us carrier versions you have to go to the carrier. If us cellular won't do anything... And neither will Samsung... I don't know.

You could always try shaming them on facebook, but if they dog in and don't want to refund because of the imei mismatch...

There are tutorials online for changing the imei number in software, can you try that and make it match the physical device? This is not strictly legal, but what have you got to lose, and you're not in the USA anyway

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

^^

If you want to do that, that IS illegal - we cant really have any in depth discussion in how to do it, but ill concur, it CAN be done.

And if i were in your shoes, I'd consider doing it...