Sign in to follow this  
Phaewryn

Updating Android from default 2.3.5 - stuck at < waiting for device >

I have tried all the various instructions online, including the instructions in your download, and I can't seem to get anywhere updating Android from default 2.3.5 because in step 1

"now to see if you can do a ramboot to unlock your device.
run these commands in order

fastboot flash rdl.bin RDL3_unlocked.smg"
it hangs at < waiting for device >.

Mind you, I don't know what I'm doing at all. I did manage to get the phone rooted when it was new (using the torpedo method), that was a long time ago. It has superuser and titanium backup installed still from that process (is there anything in those apps I need to enable?) and it is in debug mode enabled currently.

I've gone through a replacement/upgrade phone, and I keep coming back to this device as it has been my "tablet" when it wasn't the active phone, and my "emergency replacement" when my phone was stolen, and it's just such a good little device. This phone was just SUCH a good phone I'm having a hard time letting it go, but I can't use MOST of the Google Play Apps when it's only running on 2.3.5. What I'd like to do is update it to a newer version of Android so that I can use the Apps I need on this phone. As I said, I have really loved this phone, and I have not been nearly as happy with newer phones, this was just such a good piece piece of hardware, it just needs a serious software update.

Is anyone here willing to walk me through this? I can't get past the unlocking the bootloader step. I've installed a ton of software onto my PC in many different attempts using various online guides, and I'm just stuck. I really don't have anything to lose at this point, I'm not scared of bricking it, because if I can't get it updated to at least 4.0 it's basically useless to me and will have to be replaced again. The one thing I can't explain is that most of the online instructions say that the sdk folder should be in C, but my sdk pack installed into c:\users\appdata\local\android instead, could that be the problem?

Please keep in mind I have very little experience, but I am technically inclined, I just know nothing about linux/android and the commands involved. If you can walk me through it, I promise I wont be frustratingly stupid or daft.

The phone is rooted. It has Superuser and Titanium Backup on it.

My PC is a Windows 10 machine and so far I have installed ADB, Minimal ADB Fastboot, Java, Motorola Device Manager, all the Motorola drivers, Android Developer Studio, RSD Lite, and Android SDK Tools. I have, basically, no idea how to use any of these programs except Moto Device Man (just so you know where we're starting from). I am comfortable in CMD prompt, but I've never used it for anything this advanced (I've refreshed my DNS and run sfc scans and such, nothing too heavy).

OR, I can just throw the phone away. If that's the best solution, just let me know, I just think it's a pity, as it's good hardware. Newer phones feel so flimsy and cheap in the hand compared.

sdk-waiting.PNG

It sounds like your phone isn't being recognized in fastboot. I'll try to help, but keep in mind I've never used 2.3.5, so some of my tips may require a bit of interpretation.

Boot the phone and plug it into your PC. Open a command prompt window (or cd to) the folder where the ADB executable is. Run "adb devices" without quotes. It'll launch a daemon and list your device if it's working properly. If it's not working properly it will either list your device as unavailable, or simply list nothing at all and go back to the terminal input.

If it lists your device properly, I'll have to rethink some things. However, if it doesn't list it as ready, go into your phone settings, About Phone, and tap "Build Number" 7 times. This will enable Developer Options in your settings menu. Go into dev options and enable ADB Debugging. Unplug your phone and replug it and you should be prompted to allow access to your PC. Check the box to remember the permission and accept. Now retry the "adb devices" command. If it works this time, you should be good to retry your tool in the screenshot above.

Is your phone in fastboot mode when you try the tool? If it isn't, then there's your problem. Google how to boot to fastboot for this phone, I have no idea how to do it myself.

Hope this helps! If it doesn't, report back and we can try something else.

Sent from my thingyding straight to your eyeholes using Crapatalk.

On 3/16/2017 at 10:47 PM, Phaewryn said:

I have tried all the various instructions online, including the instructions in your download, and I can't seem to get anywhere updating Android from default 2.3.5 because in step 1

"now to see if you can do a ramboot to unlock your device.
run these commands in order

fastboot flash rdl.bin RDL3_unlocked.smg"
it hangs at < waiting for device >.

Mind you, I don't know what I'm doing at all. I did manage to get the phone rooted when it was new (using the torpedo method), that was a long time ago. It has superuser and titanium backup installed still from that process (is there anything in those apps I need to enable?) and it is in debug mode enabled currently.

I've gone through a replacement/upgrade phone, and I keep coming back to this device as it has been my "tablet" when it wasn't the active phone, and my "emergency replacement" when my phone was stolen, and it's just such a good little device. This phone was just SUCH a good phone I'm having a hard time letting it go, but I can't use MOST of the Google Play Apps when it's only running on 2.3.5. What I'd like to do is update it to a newer version of Android so that I can use the Apps I need on this phone. As I said, I have really loved this phone, and I have not been nearly as happy with newer phones, this was just such a good piece piece of hardware, it just needs a serious software update.

Is anyone here willing to walk me through this? I can't get past the unlocking the bootloader step. I've installed a ton of software onto my PC in many different attempts using various online guides, and I'm just stuck. I really don't have anything to lose at this point, I'm not scared of bricking it, because if I can't get it updated to at least 4.0 it's basically useless to me and will have to be replaced again. The one thing I can't explain is that most of the online instructions say that the sdk folder should be in C, but my sdk pack installed into c:\users\appdata\local\android instead, could that be the problem?

Please keep in mind I have very little experience, but I am technically inclined, I just know nothing about linux/android and the commands involved. If you can walk me through it, I promise I wont be frustratingly stupid or daft.

The phone is rooted. It has Superuser and Titanium Backup on it.

My PC is a Windows 10 machine and so far I have installed ADB, Minimal ADB Fastboot, Java, Motorola Device Manager, all the Motorola drivers, Android Developer Studio, RSD Lite, and Android SDK Tools. I have, basically, no idea how to use any of these programs except Moto Device Man (just so you know where we're starting from). I am comfortable in CMD prompt, but I've never used it for anything this advanced (I've refreshed my DNS and run sfc scans and such, nothing too heavy).

OR, I can just throw the phone away. If that's the best solution, just let me know, I just think it's a pity, as it's good hardware. Newer phones feel so flimsy and cheap in the hand compared.

sdk-waiting.PNG

Any luck, bud?