Sign in to follow this  
Me_Too

iPhones "preferred" on the network?

Question

Do iPhones get some sort of preferential treatment on US Cellular's network? Does the network see them differently from other smartphones? I ask because I recently traveled to northern Wisconsin with a friend who is also on US Cellular. I use a Nexus 5x and my friend uses an iPhone 6+. My friend was able to get occasional data usage: facebook messenger occasionally worked away from WiFi, multimedia messages were sent and received. I was unable to do any of these things until we were nearly back into Iowa. Why would the data signal be stronger to my friend's phone than mine? 

5 answers to this question

It's more the way the hardware holds on to the signal I think. How powerful the transmitter in the device is, more than anything.

Preferential treatment? I can't honestly say for sure, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised since VoLTE was initially only on iPhones (shortly later on S7).

Not saying they do, but it wouldn't be the least bit unexpected if iPhones were given priority over everything else, I just don't really know if/how that applies in low signal areas. To me, that's hardware, not network.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

plus where is "northern wisconsin?"  If you're north of Hwy 29, generally, you're on VZW/Cellcom and not actually on USCC.

On 7/15/2017 at 10:05 AM, Starblazer said:

plus where is "northern wisconsin?"  If you're north of Hwy 29, generally, you're on VZW/Cellcom and not actually on USCC.

For me, once you get to the 41/141 split north of Greenbay and head towards Crivitz, US Cellular goes away.  Two years ago, even though I was roaming, I was still getting 3G speeds.  Starting last year, even though it claims I'm roaming on 3G, I'm lucky if I get 1x speeds.  Even Sprint gives my relatives full 1x speeds in roaming (~15KBs).  On USC, I get 1-2KBs usually.

Its gotten so bad that I've had to get a FreedomPOP hotspot in order to have reliable access to the internet.

When I'm in the middle of the woods, I expect spotty and crappy data...  but this even happens when I'm in town in Crivitz with full bars.