Sign in to follow this  
Atheist Antichrist

[Root] Note 4 Sys App Pains

When I rooted my phone I though my problems were over, but instead discovered that removing system apps is more difficult than expected. I have to fight the phone for every app I manage to pry out of it, as well as anything I want to add as a system app. I managed to get Apex Launcher, Lucky Patcher, ROM Toolbox Pro, and System App Manager installed on the system partition but its hit or miss when it comes to adding system apps. I've found that removal of apps is as easy as deleting them from system/app with a root file explorer. It is a pain though because removing some apps makes the phone act weird so I have to backup the phone through recovery, make changes, then make sure it boots and acts right, then make a new backup etc... The phone is stubborn. I need to flash a new ROM, but am still trying to decide which one to go with.

Use titanium backup for literally all of those issues.

Also, making apps system apps, why? I have never needed or wanted to do that, is there a benefit to it?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Also, making apps system apps, why? I have never needed or wanted to do that, is there a benefit to it?

Actually, yes, in some cases. Some apps, particularly apps that perform system modifications can benefit from system level access which grants them permissions not available to user apps. For instance, Apex Launcher is on the user partition, ROM Manager is in system/app while SuperSU and ROM Toolbox Pro is in system/priv-app. The benefits increase on devices with limited space. Do you really need to have the apps converted? Probably not and some apps may quit working or create systemic problems when converted, but there are potential benefits to converting some apps.

Use titanium backup for literally all of those issues.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Titanium Backup won't acknowledge that my phone is rooted. I've been using Link2SD to move apps and it does well to the most part so Titanium Backup isn't all that important, but for some reason it bothers me.

No, I set SuperSU to auto-grant root so that I dont have to micromanage. I even crammed TB onto the system partition. I don't really have any use for TB, to be honest.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

My phone seems to be an anomoly. I got one that just isn't quite right. ROM Toolbox didn't recognize root until threw a copy of SU in (system/su/bin...?) a system folder. I just got a new laptop so I may see if I can Odin and / or flash something differently...maybe something isn't right. I had a couple issues with recovery and root.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 [ROOT]