pvdiamon

Data in Alaska

3 posts in this topic

So, I went to Alaska seeing nice pink dots all over the major cities on the coverage map for 3G data.  In Alaska, I only had voice service. I phoned USCC from Fairbanks, and the agent first thought I would have roaming fees for calls there. After I convinced her that Alaska was in the US, she checked and checked and said NO data service in Alaska.  I came home and after 16+years with USCC, switched to Verizon.  A USCC rep told me I should have called (I did) and then said USCC agent should have routed my call to roaming staff, who would call Alaska and find out WHY their towers aren't letting me on. Oh well.  Sorry their agents are trained better.   I am wondering however, has anyone had data service in Alaska, even 3G?  What's with their map?

Posted (edited)

Yes, no data service in Alaska.  I talked to roamer support when I was there..... 4 years back?

I wasn't suprised.  It's Alaska, I'm sure the providers charge quite a bit for data up there.  I know when I was there it was near impossible to find a prepaid vendor.

Edited by Starblazer

That's how it was for me in 2013. Voice worked fine but data wasn't going to happen. Lol.

That was in Anchorage, Ketchikan, and Juno. Voice was fine but data was non-existent

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk