Sign in to follow this  

So after flashing a couple ROMs, I found an issue with WiFi not working, and the menu "Security" selection crashes so no unknown sources. Research has led me to believe that it may be a recovery issue as in the recovery isn't flashing everything correctly. I use TWRP v.3.0.2-0 which...is the latest? Anyway, I'm curious if anyone else is having problems.

Never had that problem, but it seems like a rom/compatibility issue to me. I've seen that happen before on ported roms.

That's the latest TWRP, yes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Never had that problem, but it seems like a rom/compatibility issue to me. I've seen that happen before on ported roms.

That's the latest TWRP, yes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Well, I checked out the recovery angle and all the available TWRP's didn't alter the outcome. So until I get to a PC, I'm stuck. I need to download a copy of stock software and essentially get the phone back to normal before any more experimentation. Unless I can identify the source of the WiFi/menu issue I won't be running a custom ROM which would suck. I generally liked the ROMs I tried, but was disappointed that they aren't constructed the way they used to be. Current ROMs don't lend themselves well to preinstallation tinkering. I've decided to devote some energy to learning more about ROMs and their construction.

Well, I checked out the recovery angle and all the available TWRP's didn't alter the outcome. So until I get to a PC, I'm stuck. I need to download a copy of stock software and essentially get the phone back to normal before any more experimentation. Unless I can identify the source of the WiFi/menu issue I won't be running a custom ROM which would suck. I generally liked the ROMs I tried, but was disappointed that they aren't constructed the way they used to be. Current ROMs don't lend themselves well to preinstallation tinkering. I've decided to devote some energy to learning more about ROMs and their construction.
*UPDATE* With Odin 3.12.7 I reflashed TWRP then was able to restore my backup. For some reason, my touchscreen was horribly miscalibrated. I did the #2663# thing after editing the efs file and all is good now. I would still like to use a custom ROM, but until I figure out the wifi thing, I'll wait.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

The WiFi issue has been around for a while, it's usually a kernel issue.  When using a ROM for a different carrier's variant, be sure to flash a kernel that is compatible with the USCC variant (not just one that will boot, but one that is fully compatible with all of the radios).

The WiFi issue has been around for a while, it's usually a kernel issue.  When using a ROM for a different carrier's variant, be sure to flash a kernel that is compatible with the USCC variant (not just one that will boot, but one that is fully compatible with all of the radios).
The only ROMs I've used were ones posted by Wound Tight or others here. But, thank you for your input that may be useful info to have should I choose to revisit custom ROM. At this point, I think I'll continue work on my rooted stock ROM. I think I'll be able to live with it once I strip it of all the useless crap.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk